Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery mildew question

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 21:32

I've noticed powdery mildew get progressively more abundant as thhe years have passed since I've started gardening.

Short of solarizing the soil, is there anything I can do to the soil after I pull affected plants? Like spray a vinegar solution or fungicide?

Thanks

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery mildew question

Multifaceted management, including using resistant plants and garden sanitation

See this at UC IPM:
- PM on veggies:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7406.html
- PM on ornamentals:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7493.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Management PM on veggies

o

Your links did not work for me, Jean.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Powdery Mildew

o

powdery mildew survives from one season to the next as vegetative strands in buds or as spherical fruiting bodies, called chasmothecia, on the bark of branches and stems.

==>>> soil treatment???

at kimmsr link.. it says the above.. while repeatedly saying ON THE PLANTS ...

ITS MORE OF A CULTURAL ISSUE.. RATHER.. CARP.... rather than a soil issue ...

i reduced my PM problems.. way back in prehistoric times.... by not soaking the leaves after work in the evening .. so that the plants went into dark.. DRY ... [who knew.. they werent children.. and didnt need a bath every night] ....

and by removing some plants.. to raise air movement ... aka thinning the garden bed ....

not unlike your basement.. mildews prosper in dank.. damp.. dark areas ... reduce any of those variables.. and you reduce the potential problem ...

also.. i simply got rid of some of the worst offenders.. some plants arent worth the effort .. or bought resistant varieties of ones i couldnt live w/o ...

ken

o

The links work for me.

That for veggies should be okay.

See clickable link, below, to PM on ornamentals:

Here is a link that might be useful: PM on ornamentals

o

Hmm...

I was always under the assumption that mildews survived in the soil and then sprang back populations when conditions were favorable.

So, maybe a good idea would be to treat my cool weather crops(and even my fruit tress) throughout the winter months whether I see symptoms or not? So, when late spring comes around and I start culling cool crops, I'm not dispersing invisible spores into the air..

The cultural practices I pretty much abide by--- keep overhead watering to a minimum, water in the mornings, full sun, and plenty of air circulation. I do all that, so I don't know why it gets worse and worse. :(

Kevin

o

"All powdery mildew fungi require living plant tissue to grow. On perennial hosts such as roses, powdery mildew survives from one season to the next as vegetative strands in buds or as spherical fruiting bodies, called chasmothecia, on the bark of branches and stems."
A quote from the link provided. Standing water on plant tissue will inhibit PM growth and contrary to most myths about PM hot, humid weather is not a cause.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here