Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borik_gw

strawberry leaves turning brown, Please Help...

Borik
11 years ago

Hi there,

I am complete newbie, I got this plant from My Grandmother as present, I spend summers there as kid, so it has a lot of sentimental value for me and i will NOT be able to get another one.

I Planted about 2/3 weeks ago, and it was doing great but now its seems that leaves started to get Brown on the edges...

I used "miracle Gro potting mix" and tap water.

Please any advise is welcome.

Borik

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey.. newbie.. welcome ...

there is a fruit forum.. and i have never seen many of those peeps here.. so there are other places to ask ..

first.. this is a full sun.. OUTDOOR plant ... as a newbie ... you are really starting out with a hard one .. to keep indoors ... is there any chance.. come spring.. this thing can go outside in mother earth ????

second .. any given strawberry plant.. is extremely short lived ... they are usually planted.. looking like yours in spring.. and by august.. they throw out runners.. and most SB'y peeps throw out the original ... under the presumption.. that the runner. IS!! .. the original.. so as a newbie.. i want you to start prepping yourself for this eventuality ...

third ... as i said.. this looks like a stock spring plant ... or a runner separated last fall.. by spring.. normally ALL those leaves you now see.. will be dead ... life .. and the future is all in the center.. what we would call the CROWN of the plant.. as the oldest leaves start to fail .. they are removed.. and new ones are generated from the crown ...

on yours.. the stem at 2 o'clock.. should be snipped off .. as well as the one at 4 o'clock .. in a week or two .. take of the 7 and 9 o'clock ones ...

simply keeping the plant clean.. by removing decaying.. aged leaves.. will get you far .. hopefully to spring.. so it can go outside????

i presume there is some diagnosable problem .. but i really dont want to encourage a newbie to be spraying fungicides or other chemicals in the house.. in winter ...

as i said.. this is not really a houseplant.. and i hope you have options for the future ...

good luck

ken

• Borik
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for taking time and replying to me.

I had no choose but to plant it, but i do have a small back yard where i was thinking of moving a plant in spring, just haven't thought about how to yet.

I think i have cleaned a plant way you recommended.

Also thank you for explaining about runners, i guess for me is important to keep this specific kind of strawberry growing...

Also you mentioned fruit forum, do suggest one on this site or some where else?

Thank you again for your help.

Borik

11 years ago

first.. you are welcome ...

second.. talk with g-ma.. i am betting she understands the challenge she gave you ... you are wound up in the gift.. and the sentiment .. and she gave you a Gordian knot ... lol .. see link .. i think she challenged you.. to get you interested in gardening.. not to give you an heirloom gift that will last for the ages.. so keep that in mind.. the gift she gave.. would be the love of working in mother earth.. not a strawberry .. and never forget that.. even if the plant fails .. got it???? .. she gave you the plant.. i gave you the wisdom ...

third.. here in GW is a fruit forum.. as well as container growing forum .. and houseplant forum ... knowledge is the goal ... so where ever you get it.. good for you ...

next.. doenst it look better already ...

finally ... that is a very shallow tray.. and i am thinking it doesnt have drainage holes.. be very careful about drowning the roots in too much water ...

since its just been planted.. or so i presume.. lets give it some time to get going.. and when you see a vigorous new leaf coming out.. take off another of the old ones.. and keep doing that.. until you have a clean plant ...but if you ever get to repotting.. there might be better potting MEDIA.. and a better pot.. to grow it in ...

finally.. do you know why they are called STRAWberries ... get this.. they are grown on straw .. to keep them .. fruit and leaves ... OFF THE SOIL .. if you could add such.. or something.. to keep the leaves off the media/soil .. you MIGHT help the situation ....

find the fruit forum.. start a new post.. and link back to this post .. and see what if anything they might suggest.. that will differ from what i am saying.. i dont mind being corrected ...

good luck ... say hi to g-ma for me.. lol

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Here's a link to the Fruit Forum
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/fruit/

Beyond what ken write, your strawberry plant is winding down for the year. It's normal for the old leaves to die.

Here is a link that might be useful: fruit & orchard forum - gardenweb

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Here's info from from Cornell about strawberries in home gardens
    http://ccesuffolk.org/assets/Horticulture-Leaflets/Growing-Strawberries-in-Home-Gardens.pdf

And as ken said, talk to Grandma.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing-Strawberries-in-Home-Gardens

• Borik
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Ken, I appreciate you help.

I drilled few holes in bottom of container not sure if that sufficient. Container holds about 4" of soil.

I will try do other things you mentioned as well...

Started a tread in Fruit Forum
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg1211541124555.html

Should i repot right now to something better, if so what should i use?

Thank you again for all your help. You have giving me a lot of useful information.

Borik

• Borik
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all guys for your Help, Links and Suggestions.

Borik

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Another comment: You need regular pots that are deeper than 4 inches. Even with holes in the bottom, a 4-inch deep container won't drain well.

Suggest you go to the library, or do a web search to learn the basics of gardening in pots/containers.

11 years ago

too many transplants.. in a row.. is not good ...

let it rest.. and perhaps put out a new set of leaves [grow some roots].. before you repot it again ...

google can make quick work of stuff.. see link .. 'potted strawberries' ... you do NOT see pots like you used ... and its that simple..

now follow jeans other suggestions on your quest for knowledge ...

after you decide on a new pot.. the next most important thing is PROPER POTTING MEDIA ... yours doesnt look right.. too much peat ... you probably.. need a coarser blend ...

the biggest difference between HOUSE PLANTS .. and garden plants.. is how much water they like standing around in ... a lot of house plants are jungle or rain forest based.. and dont mind sodden media ... the SBerry.. might not ... i dont know.. you will have to research that ... e.g. those fancy SB clay pots.. with many plants .. the clay pot itself.. wicks water out of the media ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor