Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Plumeria?

Posted by Kasie 10 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 05 at 2:24

This was taken 07/28/05. My friend calls this Black Velvet. I call her Black Widow. She has such curly hair.

Kasie

Image link: Black Plumeria? (40 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Plumeria?

You've got to be kidding. Never seen anything like it. How's the scent?

o

That is remarkable! I'm curious to know about the scent, too. Thanks

o

Hi Joreome and Tom - this one is still rooting and it is a muti branch sitting in 15 gallon pot. As it age, the tips curls back. It is very much alive and is not welting. I can not detect any scent on this. Again, I am having fun with just point and shoot and to share the blooms with Gardenweb members.

Kasie

o

Can you tell us where this plant came from?
Marty

o

Hi Marty - this plant is from a friend's home in Anaheim, California. A nice elderly lady in her late 80's game my friend a tree sized cutting. The original tree rarely gets watered and that is probably why the branches look so ugly...dry and wrinkled. However, the branches on my plant plumped up quiet well now that it has totally rooted. Someone suggested that maybe it's a Scott Pratt. So when my Scott Pratt decides to bloom, I'll be in a better position to compare the two Plumeria plants.

Kasie

o

• Posted by Roxy77 Houston Z9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 05 at 14:08

Wow, that's incredible.

o

Very unusual scott Pratt if it is...you need to share the cuttings..LOL

o

This one is my favorite.

o

This is the updated picture of Black Widow. It is still very pretty, but not dark like last year. Unlike last year, the stem is very plump and has lots of leaves. Someone suggested it may be a Hilo Beauty. I compare this to my blooming Hilo Beauty and to me it's not the same. My friend has three other reds blooming, and by far this BW is the darkest of them all.

Kasie

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j48/kasie_c/P1010133.jpg

o

Kasie,
That is the most unique color. Congratulations on your bloom. It is absolutely gorgeous!
susana

o

where i can get this black widow? interested to own one. im from bali indonesia.thanks

o

Not all plumeria are named and many have several names,people just mke them up. Only the plumeria socitey of america registers them. There have also been some great new dark reds comming from private stock out of Hawaii from Evelyn on ebay.
New trees are discovered every day. Please were is the end on the line for this one?
Mickey

o

Hello Kasie. That is really an unusual plumeria, but i have to wonder - if the tree was neglected for some time, and maybe suffering lack of water and fertilizer? ,its possible that the black was because of the poor condition of your cutting while rooting. The second picture has more color - maybe thanks to your efforts to save the plant,its healthier - therefore more brilliance to the reds. Maybe next year it will show more color still, and be identifiable. I have a small cutting rooted from a burgundy plumeria found in the florida keys, that has the same curled back, slightly pointed leaf as yours. Maybe similar plants? I hope not - yours looks special, and i hope i'm wrong. Anyway, keep posting updates so we can see what happens. John

o

Kasie:
Can you tell me in Anaheim where she lives, I would pay her for a cutting? I live very close to Anaheim? Or if you can get me a cutting I will come get it from you? my email address is marilynm@midcom.com.... I would appreciate it. Thank you

o

Did anyone find a source for these, or a name?

o

i am interested in this one too! updated photo perhaps?

o

even though this post is a little dated, glad to find the picture - a beautiful flower. If the plant still exists I would be really interested in trading for a stick of it.

o

I am wondering if this particular Plumeria is still very deep red as it was in the beginning?

Thanks,
~Tina

o

BEAUTIFUL!! I always hear the darker the color the less scent from the bloom. whites and yellows the most reds the least? but that is an awsome color.

o

This plumeria does look similar to the Scott Pratt but I think that one has a scent....send a picture to Mark Govan with ABC Pest Control in Pinellas County in Florida he would be the one to identify and place a name on this plumeria.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here