Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stem problem on new cutting

Posted by mike88 California (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 23:36

This cutting was just rooted indoors in the last couple of months. I transplanted it about a month ago and moved it outside. Not long after moving it, it started to develop the brown area shown in the photo. Since then it has spread around the stem. It doesn't feel like rot. It isn't mushy to the touch more like its dehydrated. I planted it in a mix of of coir, calcined clay, and pumice. It hasn't been in full sun, just morning sun. I don't think I'm overwatering it. I'm letting it go pretty dry between waterings. I'm just waiting for it to topple over any day now. I'm new to the plumeria world, so if anybody could tell me what might be wrong, I'd appreciate it. I'm also wondering that if this does continue all the way through the stem, can I cut it off and reroot the remainding portion? Thanks.

Image link: Stem problem on new cutting (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stem problem on new cutting

Hi Mike - I had similar problem. I didn't do any thing because the tip seems to be growing claws and everything above the brown section of the plumeria was nice and firm. It's been too long and I couldn't wait any more and so I cut it at the brown section. Glad I did because it was gone...rotted. So I cut it until I saw the white latax. I personally don't like to wait for the cutting to callous and so I stuck it back into the pot and it is doing very well now. I did not water because the soil was already moist. In my area, Riverside County, it gets very hot...so I like to root in the shade. I hope some of this info will help. Good luck.

Kasie

o

Hi Kasie. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try to cut it back this weekend. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't done anything obvious that might have led to the problem that I can avoid the second time around.

Mike

o

I know it's common knowledge that Plumerias don't like water, but I grow them in my aeroponic system and they THRIVE with water-nutrient 24/7! Go figure!

My point is: don't be afraid to water the little darlings!

God bless.

:O)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here