Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

flowers in January

tdogdad
17 years ago

I have mentioned my white with red stripe which is more hardy than any other plumie I have, so here is a picture on January tenth:

{{gwi:1148772}}

Also for Greenclaws my Peruvian Lilies are coloring up as if it were spring:

{{gwi:1148773}}

Comments (7)

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Bill,
    great pictures, congratulations on the beautiful blooms, so nice to see, in all this odd weather. Do you know the name of your beautiful plumeria? My neighbor has this one too, in light bloom. He doesn't know the name..sure hope I can get a cutting for next year. All summer, blooms big cluster masses of color, all in one large piece.
    Karen B.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    17 years ago

How fortunate you are to be able to take photos like that, outside, at this time of year. My mum used to have a patch of Peruvian Lilies/Alstromerias, they were the ordinary orange variety, still pretty though. Yours look like the 'Ligtu Hybrids' that I have seen over here with their lovely colours?
    We are currently being blasted by winds of 80 mph although the temps are around 11 degrees, so for this time of year, here, thats good!
    The long term forecast is for the UK's hottest/driest summer for 350 years...they have been known to get it wrong though.
    All, I have at present outdoors are clumps of snowdrops pushing through, a true sign that spring is on its way, personally I can't wait.
    Regards, Greenclaws.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Beautiful. I can't grow alstromeria here, well it grows but looks like @#$%, even in the greenhouse. Yours are so nice and full. Up until Monday our temps had been quite warm and many of the spring bulbs and trees were already in bloom. They're frozen now. On Sat it was almost 80, by Mon morning it was below freezing with strong winds. Our high temp yesterday was only 35. Winter sucks!
    Karyn

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This must be alstromeria heaven because they grow like weeds here. I recently cleared an old flower area under a big hybiscus. It is now jammed with alstromerias which came up with no care what so ever. I think they were being suppressed by double impatiens which were removed.
    Karen B= I cannot find the true name of that white. A big wholesale grower called it white with red stripe. Some people call it Gardenia because of the spicey smell but I have a Gardenia and it is a rolled edge on the flower. I have also heard it called Gardena for the town in L.A. which might be or not. Others have called it trumpet but I have seen the J.L. Trumpet and it is longer and larger. My wife calls it psycho-white because it grows like crazy and often still has a few flowers on Valentine's day. Therefore, I have no real idea. I'll save you a good cutting in the spring as psyco always needs to be cut back. Bill P.S. I will get to the post office tomorrow.

• CAstarter
    17 years ago

Just wondering, bought an alstromeria last fall, coming back nice right now but have a few questions:

Does it need partial shade in my zone as I have it in full sun and now would be time to move it.

Do you have to divide alstromerias?

Do they need to be staked? Seems like some of the stems fall over?

Thanks.....for any help

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The only thing i notice is that when the flowers are finished, grab the stem and give it a slight twist and pull it out. This will keep the plant flowering. These lilies seem to grow in the spring and then die out in the hot summer and then grow again in the fall so you get two good crops. Mine are in full sun and do well while others are in partial sun and do the same. They seem to have various sizes with the super long falling over but the short and medium have no problem. They seem to spread quickly so sometime dividing will probably be an issue. They have beautiful colors but no smell. I like to grow tuberoses which have the most heavenly smell if you throw a stem in with a vase of lilies. Add a ring of plumie flowers and you have eye and nose heaven. Bill

• musarojo
    17 years ago

"Psycho-White" was the second plumeria plant I ever owned. It was one of the plants that caused me to snap and become a full-blown plumeria addict. All I know about is that it is a common "pass along" plant in Southern California. A former neighbor gave me a bunch of cuttings of it. It was covered in bloom for most of the year and was amazingly fragrant. Her tree was huge and she was always cutting it back. If one of the relatives I gave it to didnÂt live across town from me here in Arizona, I would try to acquire this one again. As it is, IÂm trying to turn my relative into a full-blown addict in hopes she will grow plants I donÂt have. I donÂt have the room for all the ones I want! She has been to Hawaii many times and loves plumeria, but so far her common sense is intact!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!