Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gidgetsocal

Plant robbers

gidgetsocal
9 years ago

I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a large succulent, had been taken out of the ground from my front yard. I have plumeria planted and plunged into the ground, and I am thinking that I have to move them to the back for fear of the robbers coming back for them.

Anyone else have problems with plants being stolen from their yards? So sad!

Comments (16)

• rox146
    9 years ago

Oh my YES!!!! It is so sad and upsetting. People/thieves hit our street about 3 times a year. All my "crummy" ones are in the front....sorry this happened to you too. Sign at front in our window now says video cameras... :-(( roxanne

gidgetsocal thanked rox146
  • greatnan
    9 years ago

We live on a corner so have had plants stolen from our front and side yard. Moved every thing behind the fence into our back yard. Now we get to see the beauty when they bloom.

gidgetsocal thanked greatnan
  • PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear this. I have had problems at commercial properties but never had a problem at my house. I will say we have a very strong neighborhood fabric and I think it really helps out.

gidgetsocal thanked the_first_kms2
  • barb13_gw
    9 years ago

I am so sorry to hear that someone would do this. I do keep all of my best plants in the backyard. Barb

gidgetsocal thanked barb13_gw
  • Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

OHHH NOOOOOO!

That is awful.. I know that you must be very upset and I don't blame you for wanting to move your other babies.. Sounds like someone who knew what type of Succulent they were looking at? I often think when they are selective that it could be landscapers .. But it could be someone who admired it and decided they thought it will be theirs without even a care. It's a sad world when you can't plant something in your yard and have to worry that it might be gone the next day.

Im so sorry....

I keep all of my containers in the back yard and only box woods planted in the front. It's very boring in the front.... So I have the tropical look in the back.

Roxanne has a good idea about the sign.. I have heard of people getting huge dog bowls and putting them out front with a large chain.. May make some people think twice.. ;-). Or chain with empty collar....

Or you might want to post a " copy" of the dog that is in my backyard.. Just to let others know that " Sweetie ". is always hungry. ;-)

I'm so sorry for your loss.. People can be so heartless.

Xoxoxo

Laura

gidgetsocal thanked Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rox- Thanks for the good idea about the signs. I think it would definitely make someone think twice. Geez, three times a year - that is really awful. I am so sorry.

tropical_nut - I'm sorry this happened to you, too. It is so sad that we cannot beautify our yards without fear of people showing up to take what they want.

kms2- I was hoping a neighbor might have seen something. I definitely have neighbors on the lookout, but I believe it happened early in the morning, before sun-up. I check on my plants at night, and this particular plant was right where it should be. It had rained during the night, and when I went to check in the morning, there was fresh dirt, shaken off on the sidewalk. It had not been washed away. So sad...

Jim - Unbelievable! Beautifying an area is a win-win for everyone. And as for the two that backed up your driveway, what nerve! I am glad you caught them!

Barb- Thank you! I had a plan to put many of my trees into the ground in front this spring. I don't think I will be doing this, and may need to relocate some to the safety of the backyard.

Laura!! LMAO!!! Okay, I have been so grumpy about this for two days! Thank you so much for the laugh!!! I LOVE SWEETIE!! Would she mind me sticking her gorgeous face on a sign? Think twice!! She sure looks hungry!!! Might add a chain and bowl of bones for maximum effect!
    Posted under beautiful Sweetie -
    Habitat: The Garden
    Diet: Plant Thieves! Better Run!

Thanks all! Have a wonderful weekend!

Oh, and P.S. Scored two, beautiful Bottle Palms at Lowes today. Made me feel better! My son and I hauled them straight to the backyard! :-)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Wendi!!!

I'm glad you had a chuckle.. That's what I wanted.. Hmmmm, it's always good to smile!!!

I think you have a great idea about the sign and chain with collar.. Maybe a sign saying " Precious is off collar.. ( broke the chain). Be careful.." ;-). Or knock , but I'm not responsible ... LMAO!!!
    You can certainly use any pics of these two tiny fluff balls....

Since you liked " Sweetie" so much, I thought I would send you a pic of her sister.. " Precious ". Such sweet, lovable gentle giants who only want to be held in your lap and kissed... UNLESS YOU ARE STEALING!!!!!

POSTED : SWEETIE doesn't like people who steal my trees or anything else. She doesn't like anyone in her yard.. Period!! GET OUT!!!!

DIET: ANY human who tries and steals from her family.. She loves thin people, but loves to chew on thicker people as well... ;-). it's good for her teeth..

Here is a picture of Precious.. Just for you, Wendi.. Lol!!! She loves the beach too!!

Take care,

Laura

gidgetsocal thanked Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura!!!

I LOVE PRECIOUS! You are killing me here!! LMAO!!! I think I'll put those fluffy faces on signs saying "An eye for an eye! Steal my plant, I'll steal your hands!! Mmmmm...thick and thin spaghetti fingers!!" I think Precious and Sweetie look hungry!!! Hahaha!

Oh, and I think we should invite Audrey II to this feeding frenzy! Feed me Seymour all night long!!! Those three ought to scare away those sticky fingered plant robbers!!

What a great team of protectors!! :-D Love!!

Have a great weekend, Laura!! Thanks for the chuckles!

xo
    Wendi

• rox146
    9 years ago

Gidget here is a sign on the plant they tore the inflo off of and in the window over garage is the camera...sorry it took me so long to post...new format problems

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Did you catch the thief on camera? I was thinking cameras would deter the thieves, but apparently not, huh? You must have been so upset to see your inflo missing! I am so mad for you just thinking about it!

• Kimo
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gidget
    So sorry to hear you also have issues with theft, I guess its part of growing plumies. I've had my share of thefts, some really rare stuff stolen (whole plants). Always depressing, but I look on the bright side of Karma, @ some point I am hoping someone steals from the thieves or the plants end up dying.

Rox,
    As I keep my plumies @ an apartment complex I own I had video cameras installed years ago as I do not live there, and had purchased 4 large Video surveillance signs that I had strategically placed, but thieves don't seem to care.
    I actually caught the gardener that I have used for years taking branches from my plants, so I fired him.
    So basically if someone wants to steal from you they will, kind of sad

gidgetsocal thanked Kimo
  • gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grrrrrrrr!!!! Another plant missing this afternoon! You've got to be kidding. Now it appears that someone is doing their shopping in my yard.

James! Welcome back! I agree with you 100%, just plain SAD! My first thought is to put up some cameras, but it sounds like you did, and thieves just don't care. What is the recourse? A rock garden? I'll bet someone will try to take those, too.

So sad!

Wendi

• rox146
    9 years ago

was it a plumeria Gidget?

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi rox. No, not a plumeria. It was another succulent. This one planted right below my JJ Thumbalina. Makes me so mad!

• rox146
    9 years ago

when my inflo was torn off completely by some JERK, my neighbor had the entire 'FLAPJACK' succulent ripped up soil and all out of the ground (on the same morning) which trailed down the sidewalk as they walked away. Really, a sign that says EBOLA present on all these plants????? Maybe? Just wondering!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area