Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria relative (?) pic

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 6:38

Hopefully someone will be able to ID this with a photo. I don't know what the blooms look like but except for the pods (cigar shaped) and seeds (a smaller "wing") the tree looks pretty much identical to a plumeria. This tree is about 25' tall. Are there plumies that have thin seed pods? There were regular plumerias growing all over the island (Grand Cayman) but none had seed pods so I assume the plant in question blooms at a different time of year?? I was surprised to see plumeris planted in the cemetaries. I thought that was only done in Hawaii.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria relative (?) pic

Karyn, it sure looks like a Plumeria to me - check out frangipani stenophylla - I think that's it.

o

The pods certainly look right and the foliage is kind of narrow. Thanks

Surprisingly I was able to sneak a bunch of seeds home. I was going to mail them Fed Ex but the least expensive box was $69 so I decided to take my chances. I had about 40 varieties of seed wrapped in little foil packets in my suitcase and am shocked that they weren't seized by customs because it really looks like I'm smuggling drugs. lol If they had been confiscated I was just going to play stupid. They didn't get the Cuban cigar boxes either.

o

Good for you! Now we will all look forward to pictures of all the plant stuff you brought home!

o

Nice plant, definitely a plumeria, but not any of the common species. Obtusa, Rubra, and pudica are the only ones that I have seen for myself!
-Alex

o

Hi Karyn,

Glad you had a wonderful time in the Caymans!!!

Quite a beautiful tree!

Hopefully someone can identify this one for you..

I had to chuckle at all of your "foil" packs!! I would be the one that they stopped!! LOL..

Keep those "Cubans" in a safe place!!!

Sounds like you had a blast!!!

Nice to see you!!

Take care,

Laura

o

I think the triggers were not there for an enhanced inspection of your bags. Something of a trivial note to add; in parts of SE Asia the Plumeria is associated with temple grounds and cemetaries as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here