Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

waking up in January

irun5k
11 years ago

This is a plumeria that greets us at my son's school every day. I was surprised to see that many of the tips are starting to put out spring leaves already (hard to see in the picture.) Especially since I have a picture of us in front of this one last Easter and it had a lot of inflos but not many leaves. (And yes, I'm eying those seed pods!)

My mango tree is also in full bloom, much earlier than last year. It has been a mild winter, seems about like last year. Late fall was a littler cooler than last year though, I wonder if all the plants thought that was our winter. Hopefully we'll avoid a severe cold snap in the next couple of months that would wreck everything.

Comments (7)

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Hey Brian,

Thanks for posting this great photo. I really love the look of dormant plumeria: the silvery bark and the sculptured barrenness of the trees are always striking to me in the landscape (but then again, I'm a hopeless addict).

I can also report that many of my trees are leafing out now after going dormant relatively early (we had those two weeks of chilly temps and high winds when Sandy moved through in October). The majority are still fully dormant, but it's clear that our endless 80 degree days this winter are tempting them to wake up. In the last few days I've found 3 or 4 brand new inflos beginning to emerge; repeats are always welcome, of course, but some of these will be first-time bloomers for me so I am beyond excited!

If we get a cold snap now, Mother Nature will REALLY be on my **** list...just sayin'...

Greg

• irun5k
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Greg- good memory, it was the 2 weeks of Sandy in October that I was thinking of. I'm fairly convinced that set things in motion. This winter has been about as mild as last winter so I think those two weeks were key.

Looking forward to seeing those first time bloomers! I don't think a night or two of unseasonably cool weather will turn things back, especially for you further south. Up here there is always the possibility of a rouge frost. That is the devastating thing since all that tender new growth would be totally wrecked.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

We've had more of a normal winter too. Cool and wet but no freezes. Warming up into 60's and 70's between fronts.
    The plumeria that dropped their leaves are all sprouting new growth. The lychee is blooming. Mulberry looking like it is trying to sprout new growth and the pecan tree still hasn't lost it's leaves. The paperwhites are just now sprouting though, which is kind of late for them.
    Here's to an early spring!
    Tally HO!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Almost the same winter to date here. Cool and wet but with about 3 or 4 light freezes and a dust of snow. Lowest recorded so far this winter in my backyard is 29 degrees.

Nearly everything but the evergreens are dormant for me. Penang Peach and Dwarf Singapore Pink finally stopped blooming. I don't expect to see any awakening before the end of February. Right now the only thing to do for plumerias is keep the greenhouse clean and try to control the condensation/humidity in there.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    11 years ago

I'm in NE FL and have my plummies in the greenhouse and haven't even shut the door to the gh this winter. It hasn't really froze at all (maybe twice and just barely a few hours) I haven't run the heat in there either. My large plumerias have not lost all their leaves yet and one has 4 seed pods that are still ripening. It has been a strange winter here so far.
    ~SJN

• beachplant
    11 years ago

39 our lowest temp. And we are now past our official freeze date. It looks like spring out there.
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Just to be contrary, Leona Hoke started putting out new leaves the first week of January. Everybody else is either defoliated or dropping more leaves now. My Valentine, as usual, still looks like she's in the middle of summer. Now if only those two would bloom...

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor