Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Molokai Plumeria

elucas101
11 years ago

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share another vendor with you because I had someone ask me for a grower that specialized in Celadine- they have been around for a while and I'm pretty sure I ordered from them several years ago but I can't remember for sure. They do cuttings and lei flowers.

http://molokaiplumerias.com/buycuttings.php

I contacted them about a canopy cutting and I received a friendly email back within a day. The canopy cuttings are $5 per tip plus shipping. I'm getting a 5 tip cutting for $25 plus $15 shipping - $40 - not bad!!!

I'll post a picture whn I get the cutting so you can see what they send me!

Comments (23)

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

Purchased some plumeria cuttings and did a trade with Molokai Plumerias about 4 years ago. The cuttings were beautiful and huge! As a seller and a buyer I highly recommend.

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

That seems like a great deal, Emily!! I think you scored. I just found a neighbor moving away who is looking to sell me some nice big Celadine trees for $20, I cannot wait!

Share your photos when they come!!!

Wendy

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plumygirl, thanks for posting- so good to know you had a great experience with them! If I remember correctly they were top notch - I also figure if they do 99% Celadine then they probably do Celandine very, very right LOL!

Hi Wendy! I think I got a good deal too, I'll definitely post a pic when it arrives, I'm really excited about it. I've been waiting to order from them to get my Celadine, I was just too caught up in all other plumies last year, LOL! That is SO exciting about buying those trees from your neighbor! Are those the ones that were in the driveway???

I find this interesting, here's what they say about canopy cuttings - (oh how I wish I could afford a 10 tip cutting - WOW!)
    Brand New! Canopy Cuttings- Multi-tips $5 per tip
    These cuttings will have a minimum of 5 tips. We've sent some out with up to 10 tips. We can get a few of these every year by cutting from the tops of mature trees. Here the forking patterns are a lot more random and closely spaced.
    "What's really cool about these cuttings is something we can't prove but is more observation and anecdote. Don't laugh but cuttings kind of "remember" where they came from. The Sticks and 3-Tips are "programmed" to stretch and grow into a tall tree. The Canopy Cuttings have already arrived. They are much more inclined to keep their low profile, sort of dwarf characteristics but full size flowers. They make a really great potted plant."

I'll post a pic when it arrives!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: I paid yesterday via Paypal (they also accept credit cards) and today I received notification that my cutting has been picked up by FedEx 2 Day shipping - so that means I should get my cutting on Friday!!!

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

That is really exciting, Emily!!!!!! Holding tight for photos!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got my cutting(s) today and all I can say is WOW!!! I paid for a 5 tip canopy cutting but received a 6 tip canopy cutting. I also got a 3 tip freebie. Here's the kicker - the 6 tip cutting is 11" long. Um, this place rocks.

{{gwi:1149250}}

{{gwi:1149251}}

Freebie:
    {{gwi:1149252}}

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Wow! That's a nice fat cutting. Looks incredible!!!

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Wowzers..... those things are enormous in girth, and they look so fresh. Not to mention cheap! Great find, Emily!

Wendy

• pcput
    11 years ago

Wooooo Hoooooo, Emily! You done good ! Peg

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

They were highlighted in an inter island airline mag a few months ago. I think it said they were family owned.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm you guys! I'm really excited about it and I'm going to have a lot of fun watching this one develop! I wanted to share this find with you all because they had great service and a great product. I sent them a thank you email letting them know how happy I am with them. I think I'm going to let them callous just a little longer to be safe, they feel a little fresh still.

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Wow, look at the short length between branching. Almost like it had bloomed multiple times in the same year! It will be interesting to see how it behaves for you in the years to come.

I wonder if these "canopy cuttings" are what Exotic Plumeria are trying to sell for $100 or more as a Patio Plumeria? I've very suspicious now especially since EP even says they have the Celadine flower.

• MadameMeow
    11 years ago

Wow! That's a monster cutting! Are you planning to do anything special to ensure rooting because it's so very big? Will you start it in water first? will it need bottom heat? I had 100% beginner luck years ago, but recently reversed to 0% success. Cuttings all rotted at tip, not sure why. I'd love to grow the plumeria again.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

irun - I agree! I can't believe how tight the blooming and branching are on this one and I'm so excited to see how it behaves. I sure hope it keeps these characteristics, that would be so awesome!

MadameMeow - the coolest thing about it is that it's only 11 inches long! It's got some weight to it though. I can't believe how beefy it is!

To get the cutting to root, I've let it sit a few days to help it cure a little more. I'll plant it in a mix of plain Miracle Grow potting soil and perlite, about 50/50. After I prep my potting mix I'll dip the end of the cutting in water and then in a powdered rooting hormone, stake it up in the pot and then water it until the soil is completely saturated. Then I'll put it on the heat mat under my grow light or in a sunny window until our tenps are consistently 75-80 and then it can go outside in the daytime. In the mean time, after that initial watering I won't water it again until it gets a few leaves. I haven't tried water rooting yet but many people are very successful & happy with it.

If your cutting rotted, chances are it was not warm enough and / or it stayed too wet. Don't give up, we've all had some mishaps. If you need more info everyone here is happy to help! Good luck!

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Hello everyone and Happy Valentines Day.

I treated myself to a cutting from Molokai Plumeria and wanted to say I am blown away! I can't wait to get this 7 tip cutting growing.

I highly recommend this seller. Very fast shipping and super high quality cuttings.

Dave

• MadameMeow
    11 years ago

oooo I couldn't stand it any longer- I just wrote to them for a cutting! Thank you for advice on rooting,

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW, Dave that is AMAZING!!! Are you sure that's not an 8 tip cutting? LOL! That one on the far right looks like 2! I'm so glad you had the same great experience and product I did. They are awesome!

MadameMeow I'm so excited for you!!! Please post a picture when you get it if you can, we all want to see it! This is an EXCELLENT type of cutting for you to root - they are from very well established trees and Celadine should be very agreeable to root.

• pcput
    11 years ago

Looking good Dave!!! That is one nice cutting. You'll have to show it to us when it's leafed out. Peg

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

That's awesome! Congrats! I hope it roots for you soon. Puts my single tip rooted Celadine cutting to shame. :)

-Robert

• irun5k
    10 years ago

Hi all, I feel bad about posting to an old thread, BUT I was really curious how these canopy cuttings did you for you guys last year? Did they root OK and did any of them bloom?

Thanks!
    Brian

• dpolson37
    10 years ago

Hi Brian and all.

Thought I'd report back on this cutting I bought last year. I can't say enough good about Molokai Plumeria! Definitely worth purchasing from.

This cutting never did root for me. I was lazy and didn't nurse it along like I've done in the past on other plumeria cuttings so I guess it taught me a lesson. I had stuck in in a pot last spring and moved it outside when the warm weather hit. The soil I had it in got to dry and the cutting basically got what ever mother nature threw at it. I did buy another one and it was just as good as the one pictured here. For this one I potted it up in a more moisture retentive potting soil mix and kept it moist from mid summer till fall. I'm happy to report that it did root and is now sending out leaves for this upcoming season. I have it in a fishtank sitting on rocks and a heat matt. The tank is filled with water and just barely touches the bottom of the pot. I have the fishtank in a three shelf indoor growing rack which is covered with plastic to hold in moisture during the winter. It's being lit by a 4 bulb 24 inch T5 lighting system with lights on about 16 hours/day. Humidity runs about 50-70 percent and temps are low 70's. All the tips are greening up nicely and one even has a 3 inch long leaf.

I'm hoping this year I get some blooms. If I do, I'll post photos.

• irun5k
    10 years ago

Hi Dave, thanks for the update! I am sorry to hear the first one didn't root but I'm glad to you tried again and succeeded. I would expect that based on the size of the cutting, once it gets going it will be hard to stop.

I am thinking about ordering one as well. I also see that they sell single tips for $2. I am thinking about getting some of those to give out to my son's kindergarten class that they could take home and try to grow, if I talk to them this spring about plants and gardening.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi there! I'm sad to say that mine never rooted either. I don't think I let it get a good enough callus on it. I actually tried to order another not long after but didn't get a response to my email and didn't try again. I would definitely order from them again though, I still think they're great! They are really nice folks and the cuttings were good. I'm glad you had luck with your second try! I hope you keep us updated on how it grows!

For $2 a cutting you really can't go wrong, can you?!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area