Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kingbingo

where to see/collect plumeria on oahu?

kingbingo
9 years ago

going in march, trying to figure all the places i can see plumeria and maybe get some cuttings too - thanks!

Comments (9)

• rox146
    9 years ago

the aloha stadium swap meet that is 3 times a week...go to the cute elderly couple that have all the labelled ones and photos to match. roxanne

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

I love that couple at the swap meet, rox! They are too cute, and don't you love how they have the samples there to sniff!

When I was there last August, there was a booth at the Dole Plantation. Many Jim Little cuttings being sold, and they are cleared for taking back to the mainland. I got a rooted Pudica, also cleared because they do not use soil for rooting.

If you have a chance to visit University of Hawaii, you will see plumeria taller than the tallest buildings there!

Good luck and have fun!

• rox146
    9 years ago

I bought 2 at Dole and they both died.... :-(((

• ashef
    9 years ago

Definately plan to go to the Koko Crater Botanical Garden, which is an extinct volcano crater that has a grove of glorious, big plumeria trees you can walk in. It's free, too! You can't buy plumeria, but there are a lot of them to see and smell and most of them have name plates. Don't forget your camera, hat and sunscreen.

If you drive around the island, you'll see plumeria trees in many yards and almost all parks. Especially check out the Manoa neighborhood of Honolulu, around the University of Hawaii at Monoa,

There are several good Oahu plumeria sellers on ebay,andt I think Derrick Martin of Piece of Paradise is one who welcomes visitors.

I also agree about the Aloha Stadium market being a place you must go, to look for plumies to buy and for gifts to take home.. It's wonderful & sooo Hawaiian!.

Allie .

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Aloha Swap Meet and Dole are the places I typically go for USDA cleared purchases. You can check online to find the location of the vendors at the swap meet...or bring your walking shoes. Most of my JL plants are from the Dole Kiosk. I have only had one rot on me and then I got a replacement and it rooted without a problem.

Just for looking Koko Crater is a fun place to walk through. I would also recommend a respectful walk through the Punchbowl Memorial to see dozens of beautiful Plumerias and fantastic views across Waikiki to Diamond Head.

• Herb Halling
    7 years ago

With so many plumerias growing in HI, there must be some place where I can get free cuttings, or at least wholesale pricing. Any suggestions?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    7 years ago

I think this post pretty well covers the best places on Oahu to buy. Are you going to be on a different island?

• rox146
    7 years ago

most home owners IF you are nice and polite and explain you love the plant and collect, will offer you a cutting. Then take them all to the AG guy at airport, he looks at them for bugs and lets you on your merry way with cuttings in hand. Atleast that was our experience several times, provided their tree is big enough and could use a pruning. Got the best ever one down from Doris Duke house on Oahu....Coral/Pink, he did not know the name but said lots ask for a cutting....enjoy and live ALOHA while there....

• michaelspokane
    7 years ago

I always bring back cuttings when I'm in Hawaii. I always ask first, and have never been refused. I give them a name, usually referring to the color and location where I found them. I also select tips with signs of flower buds (may be the only blooms I see!). I usually collect on the first or second day of my stay so the cuttings can callous over. I write the "name" on the cuttings, then put them in the top of my carry-on for inspection. I also take cuttings of other fragrant shrubs like oleander and occasionally container grown nursery stock, which I wash all soil from the roots of, and have never been refused at inspection. I don't think you can do this if you live in a citrus-growing state, but I'm in zone 6.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling