Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wintering plumeria

Posted by huskerguy Nebraska (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 12:39

Per instructions we brought our pottet plumeria inside for the winter and put it in a dark room where the temp usually stays around 65 degrees, but somehow the door to the room got closed and the temp has fallen to who knows what. The plant is about 5 ft tall w/ three spikes about 6" long. Two of the branches are getting soft as is the main trunk about 1/4 of the way down. One branch is still hard and looks good. I assume the plant got too cold. Di I cut it back now to good hard material? How do I save it? thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wintering plumeria

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 13:42

Dont panic. unless the room got to below freezing it will be just fine. Im storing about 30 in a 45 degree area. if some of it is soft you can give it a little water. Little means a cup or two around the rim of the pot.

Mike

o

I also had several tips of 2 plants getting very squishy(they're being stored in my garage) and I freaked out - but then realized they were just dehydrated. I agree with Mike - try giving it some water and see if it firms up before you cut, it will probably work.

If it doesn't work within a couple of days then you can consider possibly cutting but I would definitely try the water first.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

o

I agree. My garage got down to the mid-30s and all but a few are just fine.

You might try a little warm water around the rim of the pot first and wait a day or so to see if the branches firm a bit. Then if you discover damage and you need to trim wait till spring so they'll have a better chance to recover from the trauma.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here