Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

finally home from the hospital:)

Andrew Scott
11 years ago

Yesterday morning around 8am my Surgeon's P.A. and told me that if I wanted to leave, I could. Even though my last surgery had been the night before at 4:30pm, I thought I would be ok to go home, as long as they gave me a walker...which they did.

Jose and I made it home here are around 11:30am on Tuesday. man, it was so good to get here, and then to see my plumerias and other tropicals was even better! Taj Mahol looks like it might just grace me with a couple open flowers. I don't think the buds got this big before they aborted last time.

OK, so now I am home and somewhat less scatter brained(Not getting more than a couple hours of sleep every night, and then being on steroids(which I found out from the nurse that the steroids can make the patient moody, craving sugars, hot and sweaty...just nasty stuff all around), pain meds, and probobly 6 or 7 other pills made me REALLY LOOPY!

Ok so my 1st surgery was much longer than what the docs had imagined. The good news is that everything went very well. I did suffer some minor blood loss but not enough to raise and eyebrow. They did fracture the vertabrae in order to have the space that they needed to get the artificial disc out. I think this is what made my srugery go even longer. I felt bad for my friends here online because I saw here and there how most people didn't know what was going on. I do want to say that Laura did know what was going on, but she didn't even have the whole story. I only talked with her a few times, but I am just great full that she was able to come on here and post some updates for me. That way at least you guys here had some sort of idea of what was going on.

OK, the 2ns surgery was ordered simply because the surgeons were not comfortable with keeping me under anesthesia for 3 more hours! That was how long it took to get these 2 broken screws out, plus there were a couple minopr things that they did like removing access scar tissue. Coming to after that surgery was so much easier that the first, but I Have to say ...the pain from my most recent surgery was 10'x as bad as the first surgery! Mainly I think it was because my leg was(and still is numb),still numb but it has improved every day after the surgery. I can lift my foot about 4 inches in the air, and considering that after the 1st surgery I couldn't move either the foot or leg, I know I am making progress. I should have full sensation again here in another week or 2. The nerve is just pinched right now from all the swelling.

My upper back is hurting pretty badly, but again I think it's just a matter of time and I will be good to go.

Thank you so much to everyone here who gave me words of encouragment and love. IT meant so much to me. Every time I would get on the IPAD2, I would check my fav. forums first to see who messaged me, or who commented on my post. It did truly bring a smile to my face everyday.

Over these next few days or even maybe weeks, you may not see me here as much. Just know that I will be thinking of you guys, and I will try and keep up with messages when I do get a chance to get back on line.

Take care and Thanks again!
Andrew

Comments (18)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

happy to hear you are doing better and the surgeries went well.

Take care and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Welcome back! So glad your plants were healthy and waiting for you when you got home.
    Hope you recover quickly! :)

-Robert

• pcput
    11 years ago

Good to have you back on here Andrew. Prayers coming your way for a speedy recovery and for "J" patience. Take care of yourself and the plants will keep. Peg

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Aint no place like home, now the real healing can begin. Rest rest rest.....

Wendy

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hi Andrew, I'm so glad to hear you are home and on the mend! You should be in great shape for plumie season now! Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better each and every day.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Great to hear that the two surgeries are over and you're starting the recovery process! Take care of yourself, friend. Plumeria season will be here before you know it.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Welcome back Andrew, glad you are home, so you can enjoying your plants. Barbra

• qaguy
    11 years ago

Get well soon, Andrew.

Didn't you email me about some cuttings? I seem to have
    lost the email if you did.

Get in touch with me when you're up to it.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello QAguy,
    I did email you, but I can email you again. It may be a day or two before I get to it. After reading this post, I think you may understand why.

Hi Barbra,
    Thanks for all the well wishes. You're such a good person. The fact that you were willing to buy B. Moragne for me at the PSA sale was so thoughtful and I know you bought for a couple other people. My B. Moragne is still looking good. I hope that I can see some blooms this summer. I still cannot believe I paid about $10 less for the B.Moragne you got for me, and that tree was way, WAY larger than the other tree I bought!

Thanks to everyone else I didn't mention, Wendy, Simi, and Elucas.

I hope I am not forgetting to thank anyone. If I did, please know it isn't intentional. I just have had so many messages here and even private messages...all of which I needed and still find myself needing.

Thanks everyone,
    Andrew

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Andrew, here's wishing you a rapid and highly successful recovery so that you'll be ready to enjoy spring in a couple of months.

P.S. On any given day I'm moody, craving sugars, and chronically hot and sweaty. And that is without any meds... you should see me on a heavy dose of prednisone.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Andrew - I read the other day that you were home, so although I have not posted, you have been on my mind. So happy that things are going well for you!

*hugs*

• qaguy
    11 years ago

In your own good time, my friend. I do remember you saying
    you had upcoming back surgery and you'd be out of commission
    for a bit, but I had no idea it was going to be that extensive.

Got lots of cuttings and I'm in no rush to get rid of
    them. Can't start them right now anyway!

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Andrew,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Sounds like you've been through a lot but hope the worst is behind you.

Greg

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Greg,
    Thanks for the well wishes. I do feel like I have been thru quite a bit, but I just keep telling myself "There's always someone out there who has it far worse than me." I try to always have that attitude. After both surgeries I realized how much more difficult my life could be if I permanently lost the use of my legs or my back. I'll tell ya what, I have my good days and my bad days but in general I try to keep myself in a positive mood.

I see that you also like the plumeria forums on Face Book! It was nice to be able to put a face with a name. I especially like being able to see all your plumeria pictures there. I need to invest in a good camera so I can take the same kind of pictures! Anyhow, when I do find myself having days when I am in a lot of pain, I like to go to Face Book(and also here!) so I can see all the great plumeria pictures. They really do cheer me up a lot.

Hi Qaguy,
    I will be contacting you soon. I am trying to get my hands on as many cuttings as I can right now. Reason being, they give me something to enjoy and to look forward to! I really enjoy watching cuttings throw out there first roots, leaves, inflos, and BUDS!

Hi Mona,
    The way I see it right now is that ANY day is a good day as long as I am not a patient in the hospital that is!!

Hi Irun,
    LOL, at least there is someone who knows how I feel! I am so glad to be off of the steroids! I was getting them 3 times a day, everyday I was there!

Tomorrow I have to be at my first follow up. I have mixed emotions in regards to this appointment. In one hand, I know that there going to remove all 75 staples, and that right there will make me feel much better. The reason I don't want to go is because the nuerosurgeon's office is 45 minutes away and I have to ride in a car up there and back, not including the wait in his waiting room, and then the exam room! You know it doesn't matter if you have had major back surgery or not, and in all fairness, there could be a dozen other patients waiting to be seen, and there appointment could also be a follow up after there surgery.

I will try and post after my surgery so you all have some kind of idea as to what is going on.

Take care,
    Andrew

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Andrew don't forget to take your pain medication, before you go, and take an extra pill, just in case. I feel for you. I know how hard it is to sleep at night,after having major surgery. I finally slept last night without any pain, and it will be 3 months on Weds. It will just take time, just know you are not alone. I am so glad the surgery is over, and you have started the healing process. Barbra

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Barbra.
    Trust me, I did take my pain meds before going to that first follow up. It's a 45 minute car ride for me, and just trying to get comfortable in the car for that long was a challenge, but I did it. Thankfully, I didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes to see the P.A., and I was out of there in about 15 minutes total time.

The P.A. told me that I am right on track with the healing process. He actually told me that I was ahead of the game because I had all ready started to regain sensation in my foot and upper thigh.

As of today, I have regained almost all the sensation in my lower leg, and maybe 20% in my upper leg. I am getting the dreaded pins and needles sensation now in my knee cap. I know that getting that sensation is a good sign, and that hopefully I will get the sensation back in my knee in a few more days.

Today has been particularly hard for me pain wise. The pain just really doesn't want to ease up no matter what I try to to do. I can say that sitting in the recliner with the chair reclined has helped tremendously.

I am sorry to hear that you have suffered for so long yourself. I truly understand now what it's like to have a major surgery, and to struggle with all the highs and lows associated with it. I have come to also realize how much chronic pain can effect your moods. Today I have not been in the best of moods but here in a little while, I am going to crawl back in bed and just rest if I can.

Thanks for expressing concern Barbra. You truly have been a good friend to me. I hope that both of us can be back in tip top shape for this coming plumeria season!

Andrew

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Ah gosh that sounded rough! Glad to hear your home and recovering. Nothing like coming home to your babies heh?

I totally can relate since I have peripheral neuropathy of my right leg since 2009. Unfortunately, I have had zero improvement. The pain can be so debilitating... but I got all my plumies to keep me busy.

Hang in there Andrew!

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    11 years ago

Hi Andrew, I've just rejoined GardenWeb,you used to be part of ALOHA PLUMERIAS also, right?? I'm glad you are finally home after your surgery ordeal, I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedier recovery !!!!
    Annamaria

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler