Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Ordered some seed today

moonie_57 (8 NC)
11 years ago

Stopping in at the forum gets me a bit antsy so i just ordered some seed from Brad to play with. I will take them to work and start them in the greenhouse. What are y'all doing to nurture your green thumb?

Andrew would probably be out of surgery by now. Hope all went well for him.

Comments (8)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

cool! Im not doing anything with the plumeria. A few are pushing leaves so wont be long now. My citrus are blooming their tails off so thats always nice. We started quite a few veggies a few weeks back in our greenhouse. I had home grown lettuce on a sandwich this weekend, yum.

I am a getting an itch to order something, anything, just get UPS coming to the door please!!!!! LOL

Mike

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Ha, you guys are great! I'd really like to start gworing more produce, it really is Sooooo much better. Now that I sell weekly in the farmers market, these farmers are so generous, and they give me tons of things, from produce, to eggs, to apple cider, and honestly, the taste of farm fresh foods is absolutely unbeievable. I've never had eggs this good, and the potatoes are tastier.... even the mixed greens, not so bitter.

So to nurture my greenthumb, in addition to rooting plumeria, my dream is a small garden for fruits and veggies.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Very fun, Moonie! What kind of seeds did you order?

Mike, your citrus trees sound amazing, I would love to have some fruit trees but I have no idea what I'm doing! Haha!

Wendy the farmer's market sounds amazing and like so much fun! (Not to mention YUMMY!) I really admire you for starting your plumie sales, I would love to do exactly what you're doing someday!

To keep myself busy during this off season I am trying to keep my 1st year seedlings alive + a few cuttings & fighting the mite fight. I've potted up 2 avocado seeds after removing the outer skin from the seed but they aren't doing anything. Anyone have any advice for me?

I've also recently ordered a Sunny Delight and a Polynesian Sunset, and then today a Celadine. I can't help it! We have about a month of "winter" left to go so I can start a few on my heat mats.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Avocados are easily started. The basic method is to push 3 toothpicks into the pit and suspend the fat end in a cup with water, with water just touching the pit to about an inch deep. Works very well. Here's a link that explains it better than me.

Here is a link that might be useful: sprouting avocado pits

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mona, those seeds from Brad's are so much fun--you'll love them! My "babies" are now nearly two-and-a-half and getting BIG.

E, I have a fruit tree (or two) for you to experiment with. I'll bring them to you the next time we meet.

Can't wait for spring!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the tip Del, I'll have to give that a try. To be honest for all I know I may have planted the damn thing upside down. LOL!

Hey Jen! Thanks so much for the offer, I appreciate that! I always look forward to seeing you guys and I'm also very ready for spring. I saw that Brad's had some Bali Palace seeds so for fun I ordered those and some Cindy Schmidt seeds to play with.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got my seeds fast! I always like that about Brad's when you order seed... it's like they get them in the mail that same day! And of course there's always extras, and they're always pretty and plump. LOL

E - Mardi Gras seeds are what I ordered. I didn't give it much thought, just wanted some. :)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Very good choice Moonie, keep us posted! :)

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County