Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Anyone else trying to coax a winter inflo?

I first noticed this inflo on my Dwarf Deciduous White plumie that I got from Florida Colors last year on October 24th. I sent a pic of it to my good friend Kemistry who confirmed my hopes.
It's been growing under a single CFL 24/7 ever since. Not the most ideal spot since it's on the ground and not near a window but what are ya gonna do in the middle of winter in a tiny home? ;)
Seems to be working since the inflo is growing daily! Course the lower leaves are yellowing and falling since the only light source is from above.

Anyone else got any baby inflos you'd like to share?
I've never smelled DDW so I'm excited but I know it will smell even better outside next summer. :)

-Robert

Comments (41)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Robert
    here is the JJ's divine that is re-blooming from last year inflo. Not quite as big a flower and not as fragrant but hey, its blooming so Im happy. Nothing else is doing anything. my new phone doesnt have a macro setting so this pic isnt too great.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 15:58

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yay! Thanks for sharing. Winter blooms are exciting! My California Sunset is still blooming down in the dimly lit basement with no leaves. I just collected more blooms and brought them inside and floated them in a dish of water. They never fully open but they still smell great (though not as strong as outdoors in the summer). :)

-Robert

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Here's a couple of mine on heat mats and under T5 lights. Both cuttings started rooting in August. I have around 40 or 50 cuttings rooting in the 3 mat/light set ups, most from Derrick and Matt. I suspect my Dean Conklin is also starting one, but it's too early to tell for sure. Trying to get a jump on Spring....

Cool-Aid from Plumeria Hut

Kimo from Aloha Plumeria

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! You've got lots of flowers to look forward to! Your setup puts mine to shame. Laugh.

-Robert

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Sorry that I don't have pictures but my 'Leela' is still holding onto 4 flowers with 4 or 5 buds that are going to open sometime this week. I was a little bummed to see that this was it, but then I noticed that more buds were all ready forming!! My 'Katie Moragne' also has an inflo and I am most excited about this as it's blooming for the first time.

I want to point out that both of these I bought as grafted trees and in less than 2 years, both produced inflos! What I find even more amazing is that my 'Leela' and 'Katie Moragne' were bought at the same time, from the same nursery, and the 'Leela' is 2ft 10in, and my 'Katie Moragne' is 2ft. Both were moved into 2gal pots at the same time, and both were grown in the same area in my front yard. Just goes to show how some plumeria are more vigorous than others!

Andrew

Original Author
    11 years ago

You're very lucky, Andrew. Congrats!
    I just glanced and noticed you've placed your first order for the new year.
    I see your inflos aren't satisfying you. Laugh.

-Robert

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,

My Vera Cruz Rose from the "last hurrah" thread still has its inflo. However it's having a hard time holding onto its inflo. I think I may have to move it under the grow light to see if any buds will open.

At the same time, most of my plumies refused to go dormant so I put them in my spare bedroom where they get a lot of sunlight in the day time and some of them even get supplemental lighting from the T5 grow light (too spoiled? lol).

I'm also battling whiteflies and thrips right now. I'm surprised spidermite hasn't been a problem for me. I'm trying a new organic formula that's supposed to get rid of these pests and safe for indoor use. Hopefully I'll have some promising results.

Most of my newly rooted cuttings from late October have pushed out new inflos too!

Here is Pauahi Ali'i, aka Angus Gold:

Mela Matson under the grow light:

My newly rooted NOID cutting from eBay is also pushing out a new inflo under the grow light:

Newly rooted Kauka Wilder I got for free after Labor Day. This branch was broken off by Hurricane Isaac. I have to agree it was a tough one to root, took about 10 weeks. It had roots by mid Nov and now it's showing signs of a new inflo! I guess good things do come out of that hurricane after all.

I brought back 10 new cuttings from my Hawaii trip last November. I wanted to try gangrooting them again in a big container since I had good results from my September batch. It seems rooting them indoor in individual bottles yields better results for me this time of year. I don't know why but another batch I bought in December has already shown clawing activities while the gangrooting lot is lagging behind. Only 2 out of 10 are showing roots right now. One of them is Scott Pratt. I don't know if it was just my luck but these red ones have been easy to root for me.

The other rooted one from the Nov batch is a 6" generic red I bought from the ABC store.

It was on sale ($6.95 instead of $9.99) woohoo! LOL

Shortly after I put it in the bin, it popped an inflo. As of yesterday when I did a check for roots, it has a very tiny (hair fine) root system! Here it is in its new potted bottle.

Another big fat cutting I got for free from Hawaii is Ruby Too. I think it's working on some new inflos. This is from one of the tips. The cutting still hasn't rooted yet but the claws are starting to develop so hopefully it'll be ready by spring.

So you see that I have a lot going on for me. There's some hope that I will have flowers this winter or maybe next spring!

Kenny

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, Kenny! You've got lots of inflos to look forward to! Your generic red will be opening blooms in no time!
    I'd say your winter in OK won't be so bad after all. ;)

-Robert

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

All I'm doing right now is going into the the greenhouse and picking up any dropped leaves. I have a few but would hardly consider it as coaxing.

11 years ago

Kenny

wow you got a lot going on. I figured you would be pretty busy after your trip.

good job!

Next time I make it to Southwood Im going to try and talk to someone about their JJ order and see if we can pre/order or atleast have some input on types.

Mike

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Mike,

That's a great idea! I am looking for certain JJ varieties too. Let me know what they say!

Kenny

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

I have a Penang Peach blooming under lights and a Divine looks about ready to open if the buds don't fall off. Penang is one of my best winter bloomers.

Sorry, no photos!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Dave...but you know we all love photos! Laugh.
    How's Penang's scent inside compared to outside in summer?

-Robert

• elucas101
    11 years ago

The blooms under lights & definitely the ones in the garage smell really off to me personally, I would like to hear what others think of theirs. Really, some of them are kind of gross. :(

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

The Penang smells about the same to me, not overwhelming.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Just discovered 2 inflos starting on my multitip UH Orange cutting under lights on heat mats. Nice!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Still waiting and waiting and waiting. Ugh. At least now I can see the flower buds and the petal folds. Guess I should be glad I'm not yet standing over the plant yelling 'Oh, come on! Hurry up!'. I'm sure that's just around the bend though. :)
    Maybe I'll have blooms by April? Who knows!

-Robert

11 years ago

cool. Looks you just may have some open soon. I dont have any inflo's yet :(

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Beautiful guys!

I wish I had some activity on my trees.

YOU

Lucky GUYS!

Looking good.

Laura

• DelWH
    11 years ago

The Cool-Aid from up the page opened today.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike and Laura,

Sorry you guys don't have any...yet! :)

DelWH,

What a gorgeous bloom! You're lucky. Does it have a scent?

-Robert

• hawkeye38
    11 years ago

I brought my plumerias inside when it started getting cold, then decided not to let them go dormant. I found a corner for them in my hobby room, put a florescent shop light over them on a timer, and set the temp at 73 degrees F. I watered about once a week. I thought they would just sit there but I was surprised when a bud appeared in Dec. and now a second is coming on. Now I love winter plumerias! Hawkeye

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I have a cerise inflo ever so slowly developing and aztec gold just starting to push an inflo. The AG is at work in the greenhouse sitting in the perfect spot, but going by last year's experience it will still take a while to get blooms. Also, I can't tell for sure as it's in a place that I can't access very well, but my white noid that was an almost never-ending bloomer last year, looks like it may be getting ready to push an inflo as well.

Del - your cool aid is very pretty!

• Kenny
    11 years ago

I have 2 inflos blooming right now. I admit it's hard keeping them going indoors without seeing some bud drops. I got this one from Derrick last September. The label says Mela Matson but I think it looks more like a Cerise.

Robert, that's a nice sized inflo on your plant. Post some pictures when yours bloom!

Kenny

This post was edited by k2fl on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 16:02

• DelWH
    11 years ago

This was from Derrick and is labled as a Dean Conklin. I've been told it doesn't look like one and some pictures I've seen of Dean Conklin tend to back that up. Regardless, it looks nice and the scent is sweet and strong.

Robert, that Cool-Aid was supposed to smell like cherry cool-aid, but perhaps my smeller is broken since it smells more like baby powder than cool-aid to me. LOL Regardless, it has a nice scent.

Thanks Moonie.

This post was edited by DelWH on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 18:20

• pcput
    11 years ago

Thanks for starting this Robert! Now my keyboard is all wet from drooling. Hurry spring! Even the inflos look good, but the blooms are all beautiful.
    DelWH - have you sent a pic to Derrick to see if he can ID it? Peg

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Yes, I sent him that pic and a PM of Facebook. He just replied that that was his Dean Conklin and said since that was just an early bloom it will darken up later. I'm pleased with the fragrance and look of it so I'm fine with it. I like the reflexed back and twisted petals. I have a Nassau I got from him that is opening now and will be blooming tomorrow.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Now it's giving a different look, kind of pinwheel like...

Also, I just noticed on that other pic I posted that that flower had 6 petals. Nice.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally get to contribute to my own thread! Laugh.

I'm finally getting a bloom from my Dwarf Deciduous White! All the other buds kept aborting before they opened. :(
    I've been taking it out on warm days and I guess it wants to bloom in the great outdoors and not inside. :)
    It is taking a ridiculously long time to fully open but we have had two overcast days though.

-Robert

10 years ago

Wow Robert I am jealous. Mine are all just now waking up and only a few have just started pushing inflo's.

Great job!

Is this the white that smells like Gardenia, or am I thinking of the mini white that Wendy sells.

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mike.

The only reason mine is so far advanced is because I've been growing it under lights inside and bringing it out when it's warm.
    All my others are pretty much leafless. :)

There is a white that is called Gardenia. DDW does not smell like gardenia to my nose. This one so far has a perfume like scent until you get your nose close to the center. Then it becomes a higher/harsher scent that reminds me of Tabernaemontana africana.
    Of course the damn thing still isn't all the way open so who knows what scents it will pump out. Laugh.

-Robert

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Robert,

Was the plant that you ordered from Florida Colors a graft? I've never had a grafted plumeria and I'm hesitant to get one, but that is the only place that i've found Thornton Lemon Drop. So, I was hoping that you knew how adept they are at grafting.

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have 2 TLD from Florida Colors and the late LUC did the graft on each and he is excellent! Mine are both doing well and this year I put 1 of them in the ground. roxanne

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Allan,

Yes. I got my DDW from Florida Colors. I actually like the graft union on this plant (pic below). My other tree (4222) not so much. So for me it's 50/50 (I've only gotten two from them). I know lots of people on this forum have many trees from FC and are quite happy.
    I'm pretty happy after reading the info on the link below. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafted plumeria info

• rox146
    10 years ago

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The grafts are great on the TLD but I must say, they are ugly to look at in the yard as a normal tree trunk is next to them. All my future purchases shall be non-grafts...OR ones that don't need to be grafted to take hold . There are some I lost because I was trying to root them and was later told after their demise that those are ones that need to be grafted. i.e.. Lurline... thanks, roxanne

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Robert,

Thanks for the link, some good information there. Even if they eventually become very strong, I still worry about putting one out in the okc spring winds.

On a side note, I recall you talking about your obsession with fragrant plants. I figured I would ask if you had ever given Datura Metel a try, they grow really well here for me. They have a very unique fragrance.

Roxanne,

Do you know if TLD is one that has to be grafted. So far i've only seen it at Florida Colors, but I may keep looking.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Allan, don't worry about the OK winds, the plumies will uproot and fall over before they break at an established graft! A new graft--under two years old--should be brought in, just like a newly rooted plant, before a big storm.

If you get your grafted TLD you can wait until it's bigger and cut a branch and root it yourself. Then you can decide if there's any difference ;-)

I have several FC grafts and most look very good, clean and growing evenly. Only a couple aren't pretty, and I know if you get a really ugly one you can contact Carol to replace it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Allan,

I have grown Datura inoxia (the one with the spiny seed pods and tends to sprout everywhere like a weed). I do love their fragrance but they do take up a large chunk of real estate. ;)
    Still I've always been curious about D. 'Evening Fragrance' and 'La Fleur Lilac' from T&M. :)

I agree with Jen that if you buy a grafted plant you should be fine though I too prefer rooted cuttings.

-Robert

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Robert,

Inoxia is one that I grow as well. Metel definitely has a much different fragrance. Inoxia has come back for me for three years, but metel always dies in the winter. It does take up lees space than inoxia, though. I've got a bunch of seeds somewhere around here, but I don't know that you could get any to come up, they are about four years old. Here is a pic of the one I am talking about, it's usually just labeled Double Purple.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Allan,

Those are gorgeous (I love purple). I've grown that variety before as well years ago. It never reseeded like D. inoxia does. REALLY tempted to buy some La Fleur Lilac seeds since they're so cheap on eCrater. We'll see if I can resist. Laugh.

So you like the scent of D. metel over D. inoxia?
    There seems to be great confusion with the labeling of daturas.
    I just want some great smelling ones! :)

-Robert

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Robert,

I do prefer the smell of D. metel over D. Inoxia. I find it to be a more unique scent. I too, have looked at La Fleur Lilac for a few years now, but have never taken the leap. I love the look of the flower, but what is stopping me is that it seems like a much smaller bloom. I did order D. Metel in the double or triple yellow, so we'll see if I can get any to come up.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz