Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze Tip Damage-Do I Cut Back Now?

Posted by kbauman 9 So. CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 22, 07 at 15:01

Hi
Well here is a picture of one of my plumeria playful in the ground, major tip damage, have several like this. Do I cut it back now? or wait until its toward spring and warmer?
thanks.
Karen B.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freeze Tip Damage-Do I Cut Back Now?

I'm probably not the best one to answer this but I don't know if I'd even cut those damaged portions off. They look like they are drying out well and not rotting. If it dries and doesn't get soft and mushy I think you'd have more of a chance of introducing rot if you cut it. I'd just keep an eye on it and see if it travels down the stem. If that happens then cutting the damage would probably be a good idea. I have some that had frost damage that I didn't cut and the tips (about 2") just dried up and new branches sprouted from the sides. It's not terribly attractive but gets covered when the foliage fills out. Good luck.
Karyn

o

• Posted by pharoah Sherman Oaks CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 13:45

Karen,
I absolutely agree with Karyn's advice. The damage is nothing severe. Your Playful will recover nicely when it warms up.

Tony

o

• Posted by kbauman 9 San Fernando Valle (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 3:53

Hi Karyn and Tony,
thanks so much.. will take your advise and leave them alone. was so concerned, didn't know what to do. Two of the branches on playful are soft and the info stem, so will watch them. Some of the other plumie tops, will have to watch, are soft, warming up, hope will harden. some tips are black and dry.

Most of my plants in the ground, are like this except one, its forgot to go dormant..has green leaves and is growing a new one, near my patio.. puu kukiea..something like that, hawaiian name.

Appreciate the advise.. pray no more freezing. all of the damaged leaves, plants in the ground have taken off, have stubs that are starting to fall off..Hope for a good spring for all.

Karen B.

o

Hi Tony,
As you may know, Playful was my first plant, that you advised me to buy at Armstrong...rooted in a pot, a 2 yr old one. It grew from a 12" stick to a 4' beautiful long leaf plant, and my first that I grew to bloom..sooo when it froze..it devistated me. my first year am learning so much..thanks to all of you for getting me through this.
Karen B.

o

My frost damage appears greater than Karen's. Almost all the branches are affected and the softness appears to be progressing. Should I cut back now? All the affected branches and how far?

o

If it's spreading down the branches I'd go ahead and cut back to healthy tissue. Dust the cut ends with a fungicide. You can use something to seal them like latex caulk. I diidn't have great results with a sealant but I didn't have latex to use. Good luck.
Karyn

o

• Posted by wilf 92020 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 17:17

Karyn
Thank you for your advice, which I am following. I'm having to hack away a considerable amount of the damaged branches, but reckon this is my best chance of saving the trees.
Wilf

o

Is this the same type of caulk that you can buy at a hardware store to seal windows and kitchen bathroom tile? You use a caulk gun, etc...?

o

Hi: I live in Northridge (San Fernando Valley) and many of my gorgeous plumerias froze this winter. What a pity! I have one frozen so bad I see no growth on it, though I left it alone hopinggggggggggg...it's just a tough stick, now! But I'm hoping maybe it will grow from the root. All the others i trimmed and wished I hadn't as this summer they have all grown back--not as large as they were a year ago, but at least I still have them. I ordered several which were "supposed to be red" which have come up white. All the plumeria which froze this winter grew leaves but not the flower. I'm hoping tomorrow they will grow flowers. I have many I would like to trade with other plumeria growers in the area. Anyone out there interested in swapping cuttings?

WGCohen@earthlink.net

Here is a link that might be useful: see my organic skin care

o

Hi Wendy,
My heart goes out to you.. I live in No. Hollywood,about 7 miles from you. I too lost most of my plants, most died. I have 7 that made it, only three have bloomed. The others are maybe a month away from hope blooms. I bought new plants and have enjoyed their growth, will probably bloom next year, but who knows. If we hit a warm spell again, maybe blooms for me too and you.

On your one that froze so bad, is it brown? if so check the roots may be gone. I didn't trim anything, only had one that made it with tip damage, is leafing out like crazy, but hear no bloom this year.

what happened on the reds that came white? If you want blooms still, Michael at Island Plumeria in Northridge may have plants in bloom, 919-970-2483, make an appt. .. buy some and enjoy now, your plants will come back next year, mine too..tough.
Karen B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here