Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

Foliage Pro

irun5k
12 years ago

Hello Foliage Pro and Gritty Mix users:

How much FP do you recommend using per gallon if you fertilize (a) every time you water and also (b) if you plan to fertilize once a week?

This weekend I updated some of my irrigation to drip irrigation. The containers in this area will automatically get watered twice a week. For the plumeria in this zone, I suppose I will have to water a third time during the week, by hand, to administer the foliage pro.

My smaller plumeria and adeniums will not be in this zone and I'll water them by hand so I'm thinking I might was well give them a bit of fertilizer every time I water.

Last question- how may times per week do you find yourself watering your plumeria in the gritty mix when the temps crank up (90's, full sun?) (I'm using Laura's 4:3:2 recommendation in an attempt to better deal with this type of climate.)

Thanks,

Brian

Comments (9)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey Brian.

I am giving my active plants and trees 1/4 tsp per gallon everytime i water.

This includes my DR's and other plants and Citrus trees.

My climate is definately different from yours and since you are in an active growing season, you could probably even go with 1/2 tsp per gallon per week.

Check out the instructions on the bottle and that will help. I believe i am giving the "maintainence" portion.

Once summer arrives, i will increase the dosage.

I water my trees just about every other day during the heat of the summer. This was even when i had them in another type of mix. As you know, i do travel quite a bit, so i want to water before i leave and i go straight to my trees when i get home. Using the GM, you dont have the issue of perched water and so you dont have to worry about your roots sitting in water. My trees are in full sun and on the back deck facing the western sun. It gets so hot out there...

Again, you will just have to see what type of needs you will have and adjust the dosage. I am currently using just a little everytime I water my plants.( 1/4 tsp per gallon )

I hope this helps..

Laura

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Laura, sorry for this ignorant question, but is Foliage Pro a foliar spray or a soil drench? I was under the impression that it's like Spray-n-Grow, I guess because of the name.

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Laura, this sounds like a reasonable guideline and I will also consult the product label when it arrives later this week... hopefully! ordered it from ebay :)

I think FP is most commonly used for drenching vs. Spray-n-Grow which is foliar. Although I want to say I've also heard of people spraying it as well.

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Foliage-Pro is a Dyna-Gro fertilizer, it's 9-3-6 plus minors, which is the ratio that Al always talks about.

Like all the fertilizers in the company's line, the label indicates that it can be applied as a foliar spray as well as by watering.

Spray-n-Grow's label says that it must be used with an N-P-K fertilizer. All last season I added Dyna-Gro (I used the 7-9-5 but this season will switch to the 9-3-6) to my Spray-n-Grow foliar spray.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

When I did the spray n grow I thought it said you could only use their fertilizer with it, if anything else it had to be applied seperate. I am going down Friday and will read the bottle again. That stuff is expensive compaired to Foliage Pro. Barbra

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello!

I'm a once a week fertigator ("Fertilizer Friday"), and I use the full dose, 1 teaspoon per gallon.

During the Winter, I drastically reduce the dose. For example, I have a pepper in my house
    which I fertilize twice a month with a 1/2 strength dose.

Josh

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

Barbra,
    Spray and Grow does say to use a NPK fertilizer on a routine schedule opposite of the SNG application. In other words weeks 1 and 3 you use SNG and weeks 2 and 4 you use a NPK fertilizer. I am going from memory but I think that paraphrases the directions.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Brian,

You will get a good feel as to what you will like. I play with the 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp all of the time. It just depends on the growing season and the way the plants/trees react. Once summer arrives. Then i go full strenght on the dosage.

Hope this helps..

you will find it quite easy with this fertilizer. I really like it!

Hey Josh,

So you are the "Friday" man!!! LOL... Thank you for the information you share here with others!! : ) It is always interesting to hear how we use the Foliage Pro.

Good stuff! : )

Thanks for all of your help. It's greatly appreciated!!!

Hope all is well in Northern Cali?

Hey Jen,

There is no silly question. : ) The Foliage Pro is concentrated and it is very easy to use. You fertilize both ways with this fertilizer, but i have just used it as is. I do like to spray the leaves every so often, but i dont use the fertilizer when i do. I guess i just dont have that extra time..

Hey Greg. Hi Barbra , Hey K!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!!

I have been busy flying and haven't had time to breath!!

Just wanted to say "HI"

Mahalo,

Laura

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi guys, thanks for the info. My bottle came this week. 8 bucks and change for an 8oz bottle from ebay w/free shipping. This will make 48 Josh-strength gallons (thanks for the tip Josh!) which will easily get me though the year.

I do think this will be an easy system- 1 tsp per gallon and water it in... how hard is that? I am going to discontinue by spray-n-grow routine for this year. I may pick it up again at a later date but for this year my approach is gritty mix + foliage pro and basically trying not to be a mother hen. If I've found out anything about these plants it is that they really don't need me. lol