Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

best Hawaii places to buy plumeria while there

rox146
10 years ago

Aloha to all in this New Year.... I was wondering if anyone knows which are the better islands to hit if planning a trip to purchase "named" plumerias. I have done pretty well at the Aloha Stadium Swap meet and would Love to get into Maui Gardens Plumeria, but have found that to be impossible. The same with Jim Little's ( and I don't mean buying at the Dole Plantation) Does Kauai offer any hope? yes, I do realize we have all come back with "cuttings". I was hoping there was a place on an island we have not been to for a while that sells to addicts. The Big Island? I ordered all the ones I wanted from Derrick last year on the North Shore of Oahu. I am good with what he had to offer. Just looking ahead before we plan a trip....ideas? anyone? Mahalo, roxanne

Comments (9)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Rox,
    Knowing that you said "named" plants kind of precludes the statement of window shopping trees in a neighborhood and asking the owner if you could purchase a cutting. The answer usually falls between "Go Away" and "take what you want." I would recommend talking with Kara G. (the operator of the Dole Plantaion Kiosk). I have had very good cuttings from Kara and from the Swap Meet sellers too. Kenny also posted about a grower on Oahu a while back. I think its a rare day for many of the "premium" sellers to allow guests to walk their tree farms. I can understand the apprehension to visitors from some of the experiences other have posted about in the forum.

There is a place just southwest of Lihue called "Kauai Nursery and Landscaping" or something like that which has some plants and will ship to the mainland but frankly speaking I have been previously underwhelmed by local nurseries on all the islands as far as named plumeria. They are just pink, red, yellow, etc.

There was a place in the Iao Valley on Maui but again a selection about the size of a picnic table. They had one plant named "Iao Valley" but the worker could tell me very little about it.

The Big Island I havent been to since 2003 but some family friends in Wiamea (Kumuela) on the island have looked in the Kohala area for me as late as 2011 without much luck.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mahalo kms2, Was hoping for something like we have here in sunny Ca. like Pacific Plumeria , Jungle Jacks or Matts in Northridge. So odd they grow so huge and nice over there and a lot of the great nurseries are over here on the mainland.

I had ordered from Suki at Tropic Nature years back and cannot find her now either. The 2 I bought at Dole in '09 both died quickly. I guess if I don't hear of any, I will take the generous people's cuttings to the ag. dept. at the airport for stamp and approval before coming back. As though I have room anyway!...mahalos and alohas, roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jandey, Isn't that amazing? Trying to find some islands we have not been to in a while and go snoopervvise for plumeria . roxanne

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

What about Fuzzy? He is from Hawaii and I believe that someone from this forum went to his nursery and bought from him. Good luck on finding more nurseries!

Andrew

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

I was also surprised that it was so difficult to find something other than the generic packaged ones. Even the "named" packaged ones - Hilo Beauty, Samoan Fluff, etc. - weren't anything special. (This was on Maui)

It'd be interesting to put together "a plumeria collector's guide to Hawai'i" ... with willing and prepared sellers, of course :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Rox!!

I agree with Andrew, I would email Fuzzy and talk to him and see if you could visit his nursery. It wouldn't hurt to try...

He is a very nice gentleman and I have spoken with him on the phone several times and he is very kind. Send him an email and see what he says.

You guys have the best nurseries in Southern California!! So lucky!!!

Have fun on your trip and please let us know what you find!!!

Take good care,

Laura

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura, trip is in the air...what island is Fuzzy on? The BIG island?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I believe is lives In Oahu ..

Hope the trip works out for you!!

Good luck!!

Laura

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County