Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrow156

New growth after pruning

sbrow156
11 years ago

Hi everyone...just a quick question. One of my plants has been pruned and a spot under the cut has swelled as if it was going to grow a new branch. Thing is that it then has not grown a branch. There is still the swelled bit there but no branch. Is it just dormant ? or will it never grow a branch? It was been like this for like 3 months ...why wont it grow a branch already??

Comments (9)

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Picture?

• qaguy
    11 years ago

Be patient, it will grow. Your description matches what
    I've seen on my plants. Is the rest of the plant growing
    vigorously? Three months does seem to be a long time.
    You're in the end of summer going to fall are you not?
    Might be going dormant.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No we dont really have fall here in far north queensland...we have a joke going that we only have 2 seasons... few months of winter and then summer. He have just started summer before christmas so it will be summer for a few more months before the weather gets colder for winter. The rest of the plant is growing very fast...i thought maybe the branch growing had gone dormant for awhile. My mother had a plant i bought her which has a similar one...it looked like it was getting some tiny claws and then nothing has happened since and that was 2 months ago? the rest of her plant is growing fast too..I will upload some dodgy pics of my one in a bit..

• pcput
    11 years ago

sbrow156, I had one like that on one of mine that didn't grow at all one growing season even though the other tip grew, bloomed,and branched. It started to grow the second growing season. I'm guessing it may just take time and could be like a backup in case something happens to the other tips. In my case it was a newly rooted cutting and I think it just needed more roots before it grew. Peg

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The camera wouldnt focus properly on it but here are the 3 pics. This started growing after it was pruned...

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

second pic

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats interesting about the growing season fact Peg. I hope you are correct and it does grow next season then :)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Its trying to branch. Only thing to do is leave it alone and hope that it keeps pushing. It may take a while but i think it will end up pushing a branch.

With the plant still be relatively young and potted perhaps its root structure cannot yet support this branching effort AND the growth occurring further up the plant at the same time. All supposition on my part but hope it helps.

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Sarah,

I had to prune back the tips on a Jeannie M as they were squishy back in Dec. There are nubs that have always been on the main trunk just right below the pruned tips. It took about a month for one to slowly grow larger and push out claws like this. Maybe it depends on the cultivar? As long as the plant is healthy, all you can do is wait.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012