Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwhite2947

Question about grafted plumeria

jwhite2947
11 years ago

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I can't stop looking at websites anticipating ordering in the spring and I keep running across grafted plants. Can you explain the advantages/disadvantages of a grafted plumeria? What type of plant is used for the root stock? Are plumeria grafted because cuttings of these plants are harder to root? Thanks so much if you have time to help.

Joan

Comments (7)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I see you posted this a few days ago. Im by far the grafting expert so Ill do my best to help answer.

I dont know of any disadvantages so Ill stick only to advantages
    biggest advantage IMO is most cuttings take many weeks and sometime months to years to root where as a graft may take in a much shorter time. Some reds are said to be so hard to root the cuttings that grafting is really the only way.

What type of plant for rootstock is most likely a seedling of a common variety as they are pretty plentiful and not to desirable.

Florida Colors strictly only grafts theirs and they do a great job and have a large client base.
    they key to me is to by from a vendor who does a clean graft so you dont see an ugly scar.

Mike

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Second what Mike says. Nothing wrong with grafted plants from an established seller like Florida Colors. I don't know how long it takes for a graft to take but I do know second hand from friends that Florida colors has replaced grafts that didn't make it.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Personally, I agree that a plant that is very hard to root may be a good idea to have grafted, however I do not think it's necessary to graft a normal-to-easy-to-root plant. While you have to wait for a cutting to root, you also have to wait for a graft to "take" so to speak, so nothing except a rooted plant will be immediate.

And certainly no offense to any of my plumie peeps who like grafting, I just think it's not necessary the majority of the time.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I think my grafted plants grow faster than the ungrafted plants. I have bought all my grafted plants from Florida Colors. This year will be diffrent since Carol and Luc, have a new business partner. Tex is the new business partner, he sells ungrafted plants. He took I think Carol said 700 cuttings to her this fall. As well as a hugh trailer full for potted plants. I guess we will have to wait and see what Tex is going to post on their new website this spring. This week Emmerson and Nancy are in Key West, if your there, look them up. He gives free plumeria cuttings to folks they meet. Look for Nan and the Plumeria Man. Barbra

• jwhite2947
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you to everyone. I appreciate your helping me with this. I wish I could visit some of the vendors in Florida but sadly am in Arkansas. Thanks again for the information.

Joan

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Joan, if you buy grafted you will get an instantly established plant, probably even more so than a rooted plant. Some long-time growers don't like grafts in the long run because of the graft scar and possible differential between in growth rate between the root stock and scion.

I have mostly rooted and prefer it, but also have several grafts of difficult varieties and they grow very well for me.

Barbra, you are a fount of information on the big growers! I had no idea Tex was teaming up with FC, but it makes sense. He's probably very strong on TX cultivars.

B, E, K--see you guys hopefully soon!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Joan, Carol only charges exact postage. I think I paid something like $20 for 13 plumeria and 1 desert rose last April. I would have spent more on gas looking for those plants. Barbra