Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade recipe for spraying for mites.

Posted by dpolson37 7a VA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 21, 11 at 22:22

I found this on the Brug forum by Kasha77 and wanted to post here because I think many plumeria growers get mites when growing them inside during the winter.

A great recipe for a homemade spray to repel and smother spider mites and aphids-

In a small sauce pan, boil 2 cups of water:
2 aspirin ( kills viruses that especially affect doubles, and helps boost plant immunities against them)
2 tsps of grated garlic (the stuff in the jar is fine)

Strain the garlic / aspirin mixture and pour into a 1 quart spray bottle.
Then add-

1 tbl of Canola oil ( or any veg. oil)
1/4 cup of lemon juice
2 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of Dawn dish liquid
1/8 cup of alcohol
a few drops of Super thrive.
Add water to make 1 quart.
Shake well as you use it.

Water plants well first, then spray in the evening.
Personally, I wouldn't use Malathion- I think pests tend to build up a resistance / tolerance to chemicals after a while. Remember to raise the humidity by spraying your brugs- spider mites thrive in a dry environment.

I have not tried this recipe, but will probably do so in hopes of keeping them away. What I am curious about is how do people spray their plants. I've read about many people spraying them, but never really seen any postings on how they actually go about doing that. I can only imagine the mess this would make and I wouldn't want it in my house.

So lets hear from those who have sprayed for mites. Do you move the plants to the shower to spray? Do you move them outside and then bring back in? I really can't think of how I'd do this without making a real mess inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brug posting for mite recipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade recipe for spraying for mites.

I spray my tropicals with the spray(neem oil, dish soap, pro-t-k solution) once a month. I place a big table vinyl cover sheet in the centre of my sunroom, take one plant at a time and spray them top/under by placing the plant on the plastic sheet. Lot of spray falls on the sheet. I group as many plants that fit on sheet and turn on the ceiling fan to dry out. What ever mess with spray that would be on the vynyl table cloth only. Once the spray dries out, I move the plants to their location and make sure the rest of the spray dries out on table cloth and then move it to garage for storage. This is working very good for me without mess on my floors and furniture around during winter.

For some plants I move them to shower to wash them fully and then spray them with solution.

o

I've said it before and I'll say it again - a few doses of Antistress 2000 a few days apart will kill mites for good. Haven't seen a mite in my cactus/ succulent/ plumeria/ tropical collection in 2 years now.

Do a forum search for details and an explanation. It worked exceedingly well for me and is a harmless polymer.

x

o

There is another product that looks similar to Anti Stress 2000. It's called 'Moisturin' and is a bit cheaper. I ordered some online, but it arrive frozen solid and was then basically useless. I'm trying to get a replacement. The main ingredients are the non-toxic polymers that provide a semi-permeable coating to the plant. It is used in the hort industry to coat cuttings and prevent them from drying out too fast. I will report results when I finally get some and try it.

o
Moisturin

They're going to refund my money. Honestly, I've ordered live orchids from Hawaii in winter and they've arrived just fine. I suggested they use a heat pack when shipping, but they're probably too lazy. Will have to try to order again in March or April.

o

kandhi,
your neem oil spray, is it homemade or you buy ready spray?
Can you give details: brand/name if you are buying it or recipe if it's homemade?

gk

o

gk, neemoil I use is not homemade, it is dyna-gro brand 'neem oil'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here