Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting large plumeria

Posted by raindance (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 06 at 2:56

Hi all,

I live in South Africa (winter rainfall region, no frost in winter, warm summers).

I have a large frangipani tree (havent seen it yet, but I think it is larger than 2x2m, pink flowers with yellow in the middle) which I want to transplant from one garden to another. Can anybody please give me advice on how to do this successfully?

Is it better to transplant the whole tree, or just take a cutting of a big branch?

If I should transplant it, I have the following questions:
When is the best time to transplant the tree? It is end summer now, should I wait for autumn?

How big are the roots in relation to the spread of the leaves? How deep are the roots? Do they spread wide or deep? How much roots can the tree loose to still survive the transplant well. Any advice on how to dig the tree out?

We have clay ground, and I believe that these trees do not like too much moisture. Is it therefore better to plant it in the ground, or a big pot?

If planting in the ground: how big should the hole be? What type of group should I use?

If planting in a pot: how big should the pot ideally in relation to the tree?

Regarding the transport: well have to move the tree using a small truck of some sort. Any special care I should take here? The branches of the tree are very soft. Will it survive the trip without breaking?

Thanks a million :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting large plumeria

Raindance,

Every fall of the year, I have to dig up 15 plumeria in order to protect them from the winter weather. I have been doing this going on 10 years. Two of my plumeria are over 15 feet in height and have a wide spread of branches. They are relatively easy to dig up, at least in my experience. I first start with a pitch fork and plung it into the ground about a foot away from the trunk. This method will help you identify the larger lateral roots. I then take a sharp shooter shovel and plung it into the holes made my the pitch fork. Once you have gone completely aroung the trunk, your tree is ready to be lifted out of the ground. I shake off as much dirt as possible to lessen the weight of the tree. I need at least myself and another person to carry them to their resting place for the winter.

Transporting is not difficult but you will probably break off a few branches. I gave my brother a tree several years and put it in the bed of my pick up truck. It was so large, I couldn't close the tail gate. Hauled it 350 miles to his house. No problem. Just water well when you get it to its new location.

Good luck,

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here