Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandy205

Rot

mandy205
11 years ago

One of my plumerias tips just rotted off and the whole top is soft and mushy and filled with fuzzy white mold. This is my only plumeria so I really don't want to lose it. Please help.

Comments (5)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear that. How big is your plant and can you cut off the rot?

I too had stem rot on five of my plants. I lost two precious ones since the rot went all the way to the root so there was no saving them. The other three are bigger so I cut off the rot and sealed with root tone hoping they will pull through. I guess time will tell.

Good luck and let us know if you can save it.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hi Mandy,
    Unfortunately, once rot has set in the only way to save anything is to cut until you have white, clean wood. Be sure to sterilize your shears with alcohol in between each and every cut otherwise it will spread even more. You need to cut this off as soon as possible. Start with a spot that feels firm underneath the rot and cut there. If it's still doscolored inside, sterilize your shears & cut again.

Typically the cause of rot is the plant was too cold / too wet. Sometimes they may have other issues but that is most common. They really can't tolerate cold below about 45 degrees or so depending on the variety. During the winter if they are going to be in cooler temps it's best not to water them much, if at all, especially if they've gone dormant.

Good luck, please let us know what you find!

• mandy205
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I cut the rotten part off Should i put something on it or leave it like it is? I think it might be a bit soft at the base of the plant. Here's a picture.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I would let it callus over. The soft spot further down may be simple dehydration. If that second spot further down the trunk is rot then its probably lost. I think you have done the best that you can for now. There is a leaf node very near the cut which will start to swell and that will be the tell if your plant is going to make it. Good luck

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mandy, you might try sprinkling a generous amount of cinnamon on that open cut--kinda cake it on--to prevent any spores from growing there. You could also seal with wax or caulk to keep moisture in and mold out.

I just discovered one of my newly-rooted cuttings had gone soft in the center near the tip and is a goner. Winter's tough on new plumeria.