Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy indoor plumerias need advice on cutting

Posted by RobertaJK Colorado (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 10:38

Hi to all here, thanks so much for this forum.

I have two plumeria plants grown from cuttings from Hawaii - planted about 6 or 7 yrs ago. They are now permanently indoors in a sunny south facing window - lots of light, near other plants in a space I try to keep as humid as I can (which is a challenge here in Boulder, CO!). They just got too big to move back and forth from outside! They have both bloomed over the years several times, but are now way too tall.

One has a single trunk to about 5 feet, branching to two branches each about 3 ft long, both of which have leaves at the growing tips now. The other has a single trunk to about 4 feet, branching to two branches each about five feet long, which have both diverged into a few additional branches near the growing tips. Basically, they look like stalks with leaves near the growing ends, and are supported on stakes.

I'm steeling myself to needing to cut these back severely, since I would really like to have them more manageable, about three or four feet high. But I love them, and am afraid of cutting the main trunks.

Do you have some advice for me? Can I plant the cuttings in the same pot with the original plants?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy indoor plumerias need advice on cutting

It could be the variety of plant that is prone to being leggy. I dont know that there is an easy way to do it other than cutting about six inches above the first branch. Let it grow out a year and then if you want to cut the trunk lower next year...have at it. Forget about flowering for those two years if you do it. I wouldn't try to root any cuttings in the same pot.

Its pretty hard to do much more than cosmetic damage to a larger plumeria. As they can bounce back from alot of non rot branch damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here