Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robertajk_gw

Leggy indoor plumerias need advice on cutting

RobertaJK
12 years ago

Hi to all here, thanks so much for this forum.

I have two plumeria plants grown from cuttings from Hawaii - planted about 6 or 7 yrs ago. They are now permanently indoors in a sunny south facing window - lots of light, near other plants in a space I try to keep as humid as I can (which is a challenge here in Boulder, CO!). They just got too big to move back and forth from outside! They have both bloomed over the years several times, but are now way too tall.

One has a single trunk to about 5 feet, branching to two branches each about 3 ft long, both of which have leaves at the growing tips now. The other has a single trunk to about 4 feet, branching to two branches each about five feet long, which have both diverged into a few additional branches near the growing tips. Basically, they look like stalks with leaves near the growing ends, and are supported on stakes.

I'm steeling myself to needing to cut these back severely, since I would really like to have them more manageable, about three or four feet high. But I love them, and am afraid of cutting the main trunks.

Do you have some advice for me? Can I plant the cuttings in the same pot with the original plants?

Thanks so much!

Comment (1)