Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advise on New Garden Layout with Developed Tree

Posted by bsternad 9B (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 10:58

My wife and I recently tore out a large quantity of overbearing and invasive plants. and invasive plants. We were left with a pile of dirt and our beautiful plumeria tree. We already lined the tree with lavender and are looking for another plant to place in the open dirt area between the lavender and plumeria that will complement the tree when it is bare of leaves and 2. assist in the overall health through retaining ground moisture.

Any advise or suggestions on our developing garden OR the overall health of our tree? Photos taken 2/18/14.

http://imgur.com/a/GJNP1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advise on New Garden Layout with Developed Tree

I would plant a cycad dead center,in front of the trunk and maybe even a nice but relatively narrow evergreen tree behind the Plumeria,like a loquat or mandarin tree,which I would let tower and spread above. But I think I do see a tree behind and to the right of the Plumeria,so I would let that one spread a bit above the plumeria. But thats just me and I like going with the "jungle" theme...

o

Hi!!!

Welcome to the forum!!

I personally like the look of your tree as it is right now! The beauty of the lower limbs and how well it has spread at a lower level looks wonderful!!
It isn't like some that are tall and lanky, so you have done a great job already.

The idea of making it a circular bed would be appealing to me ( enclosing the circle of lavender) then when it is bare you have a clean look. I like things simple and clean so I like the look if you closed the bed. Maybe some succulents if you would like inside. The tree has so much natural beauty as is .. But I like the look of bare trees.. It reminds me of the living tree!!

My suggestion is to enclose the bed, add some mulch.. Viola! You have made a beautiful focal point to the bed.. The tree!!!

Thanks for the beauty!!

Laura

o

• Posted by isobea 10, San Diego (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 13:10

Hi, I agree with Laura. I would leave the tree as the focal point. Also, if you decide to plant something inside the circle, when choosing the plants take into consideration that once the tree has leaves, there will be dense shade.
Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do.
Iso

o

Very nice.

Mulch and a low wattage LED flood set to uplight the tree structure is the only thing i would add to it.

o

how about a nice bird bath in a great color to complement the colors in the setting? roxanne

o

Oh Roxanne, you're always with the colors that I'd love to have but no room... Love the idea!

Mima

o

after thinking more about this.....just a small soft ZEN wind chime would be way cool, along with the bird bath.... roxanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here