Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Root prune a DSP

the_first_kms2
11 years ago

I used the holiday weekend to get a jump on my spring gardening. Mostly cleaning up the landscape beds and plants so I can then concentrate on my Plumerias. I did pull out of the greenhouse and root prune a DSP. Its been a very good performer with blooms all the way through January and three sets of seed pods maturing.

Its been about 3 years since it was transplanted into this pot
{{gwi:1152139}}

Root structure in the pot showing how strong of a grower this plant is. This container sat on a concrete patio so there was not a place for roots to grow out the bottom of the container.
{{gwi:1152141}}

Some help with snipping roots.
{{gwi:1152143}}

It always sat a bit too low in the pot so I added new soil mix and then stabilized the now much smaller root ball and replaced the lava rock mulch and gave it a light watering. I beleive my last frost has passed but I am not bringing it out to the front porch just quite yet.

Comments (12)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

WOW, that is some root ball there - I bet that one will really take off for you this spring with room to stretch now! A very well formed tree too.

I could really use a garden helper too - does she do any side work?! LOL!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I love the structure of that one. And wow that is quite a rootball.

thanks for sharing.

Mike

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

I would not recommend lava rock to be within a few inches of the stem. On hot days, the heat radiated from the rock will sunburn the stem and cause hardening and cracking at the ground level. You can avoid this by using a white rock around the stem. Also, when you have many plants, clipping is very slow. I use a saw and cut several inches off the base and around the perimeter- very quick. Your work is very nice but time consuming. Bill

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill,
    Thanks for the recommendations. I remember your post/image with the saw. I used a hand shovel to break up the ball.

I can't say enough about this variety. its a fantastic bloomer and while the fragrance and color may be underwhelming in small quantities it really can put on a show and make up for it. E and Mike thanks for the comments.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

K, what are you feeding that thing? And how many years for that one between root-prunings?

That's a fantastic shape--if only all of mine were so compact! It's interesting that even in our zone, the "evergreen" Singapores still lose 3/4 of their leaves.

Let me know if you ever need to do a branch-pruning. ;)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

J, I have a 3 tip branch with your name on it...the problem is the inflo has a seed pod maturing. So I didnt want to cut it just yet. I say its still got about 2 months. So it should have the best part of summer to root.

I transplanted it three years ago. All I do is attempt a routine granular/Spray and Grow rotation (every other week rotation), water almost every other day in the summer and absolute blasting full Texas sun (no shade from about 9am until dusk.). I think its just the variety. It was my favorite for 2012 just edging out Penang Peach.

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi K,
    I agree with you. Everyone needs at least one DSP in there collection. I have had mine for at least 3 years now. When I bought it it came in a 6in pot. Now it's HUGE! Just under 3ft tall and wide and what amazes me most is the amount of tips it produces!!

I had 6 or 7 inflos on my DSP last summer. When those dropped, the tree on average produced 6 or 7 new tips! I bought this tree from Stokes Tropicals on sale for around $25 and it was worth every penny.

I also agree that I have heard SOME people say that the flowers and fragrance are underwhelming but it is a plumeria that I can have blooming indoors over the winter. I also think that the leaves themselves are showy.

Andrew

• rox146
    11 years ago

is DSP desert sunrise plumeria? I don't recognize the initials...roxanne

• pcput
    11 years ago

Roxanne, I believe they are referring to a Dwarf Singapore pink. Boy! it's getting scary would you understand this stuff without even thinking. I think I'm in too deep. Peg

• rox146
    11 years ago

thanks Peg, sure is a BIG dwarf...:-) roxanne

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Peg,
    It's not really THAT scarey yet....IS IT?!?! Did I not properly warn you about joining this group, specifically just how deep you could get into this hobby????? But wait. You were also from Mimi's old plumeria group too right? I know I have come along way from those days. I have learned a lot but mostly, I have gained a ton more plumeria!!

Peg, do you have a Dwarf Singapore Pink? I think after this season, I won have a choice but to prune mine back. It is a very nice compact tree but mine is just getting huge now!

Andrew

• pcput
    11 years ago

Yes Andrew I was with the old Mimi group. And yes I have a DSP. Mine is small, 1 tip and it was thinking of an inflo last fall. It turned into a nub but is still tiny so maybe it'll grow into an inflo in spring. If not at least it will branch now. It would be nice to have it bloom. Most of my plants are small which I guess is a good thing. It is scarey though as they will be VW's one day. I have learned a lot thanks to all the good folks on here. Peg

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm