Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllisb2008

Help!

phyllisb2008
12 years ago

Hello, I recieved a cutting at a garden swap 3 yrs. ago and I would like to take a cutting off so how do I do it? When I recieved it it was about 6 in. long and waxy so I just put it in miracle grow potting soil an it started growing but it's never bloomed so last year I put it in the ground in direct sunlight it did well with 100* days and required little water and grew 3 ft. no blooms. It's one long cane with leaves at the top only. I redug it in the fall so it's back in the greenhouse. any help would be great. how to cut,how to bloom,how to make it y out and how do I get more leaves?

I would love to see this plant bloom just so I can see what color it is I have no idea what I have except a plumeria.

Comments (13)

• Joshuat80
    12 years ago

If you make a cutting from it you will delay blooming by a year.

As far as getting it to bloom there are several factors that go in to play.

If the cutting was taken off a young seedling then it can take anywhere from 2-9 years with i think 3-4 years being average.

If the cutting was taken from a mature plant then usually 1-2 years for it to bloom.

With the way you have described the growth it sounds like a healthy plant. i would look at fertilizing it to give it a bigger jump I use Osmacote. There are many different theories on the fertilizers I am sure someone can jump in help with that since i am by far no expert.

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the info an I do want to see it bloom so I will leave it for one more year before I take a cutting I will also try the Osmacote on it I've used it on my house plants and it does well. Do you think I should use a different planting mix an should I put back in the ground or leave it in the pot.

• Joshuat80
    12 years ago

It is mostly preference to be honest, but with the about of growth that you got last year off it in the ground i would probably go that route. If you do decide to go into a pot with it i do recommend Al's Gritty mix, i do use a variation of it there are lots of posts on it that can guide you in the right direction.

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you ! I have read a few and I'm going to try the grit mix.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Phyllish,

Joshua gave you some good advice...

Sounds like you have a "noid" Plumeria...meaning "no name' We all have these and we can all say that we have some beautiful blooms from these wonderful trees.

I agree about NOT cutting your tree to make another cutting. If you are hoping to have blooms, then you will ruin the chance to have this tree develope an inflo for you.

If you did cut,It will take the new stem time to bud and branch for you and then take at least a year to produce blooms. Sometimes you will get lucky and you may have a small chance that it will grow and bloom, but probably wont until the next year or later...

Sounds like a good plan to repot this spring with a good fast draining mix and give it some good fertilizer, lots of full sun. (acclimate it of course in the spring) I am a big fan of The Gritty Mix and i think you will find this very helpful for the health of your tree.

Where do you live? I see you are in a zone 8. You may even consider sinking your pots instead of planting in the ground and then digging them up in the winter. IMO of course... : ) I keep all of my trees in containers and they do very well. Here is a picture of my trees on my deck.

This way you wont be harming the roots and will give your tree the comfort of a good fast draining mix without all of the hassle of repotting after stressing the tree at the end of the growing season.

Good luck with your tree and welcome to the forum!!!

Take care,

Laura

{{gwi:1691}}
    {{gwi:3302}}

Laura

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Laura, They are beautiful! I hope mine does somthing this year. I can't wait to see what color it is. When you say sink it do you mean to leave it in the pot when i put it back in the ground? Will it continue to grow this way? When I planted it this spring it grew about 2 or 3 ft an it has only 1 trunk is that normal? I see yours is all branched out. I live in the Dallas area ,very hot an we've been in drought for a couple years so I collect rain water in 50 gallon barrels when I can but it seems like it doesn't require a lot of water.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Phyllisb,

Thank you for the nice compliments on my trees.

When i talk of sinking the pots, yes i do mean to keep them in the original container. Some people like to sink a larger container in the ground, then make holes around the outer lower areas of your container. Place the smaller container in the large one and fill with some type of mix.
    When i sink my pots on the side of the house, i just bury them moreso than the others that are just sitting in the open. I take mulch and put the pot half way into the ground and cover the rest of the pot with mulch. Then come fall, i have to take the container and cut the roots that have taken off from the holes when im ready to bring in. This is much less stressful to the tree. If you were to sink into another container, then like others that have done this, can take a saw and saw around the perimeter of the original container to bring in for the winter. If you do a search for "sinking containers" you will see some pictures of how this is done.

As far as your tree being "normal" with only one stem, yes it is fine. They usually branch off after you have an infloresence (bloom) then it will have a few more branches. Most trees average around two to four branches when they have a bloom. Dont worry, your tree sounds like it has some maturity there... give it some time, and you will probably see something special happening to it this summer. I also collect my rainwater in barrels, love to water this way!!!

Good Luck!!

Let us know what happens to your tree this summer.

What type of mix do you have your tree in? Is it a fast draining mix? Do you fertilize?

Hope this helps!!

Laura

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for that info. I just stuck it in a pot with miracle grow potting soil until last spring when I put it in the ground I filled around it with just plain dirt didn't know how to take care of it I guess I'm lucky it's still hanging in there.I will let you know how it turns out an what color it is.

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Phyllis, if you want to keep it in a pot for ease of moving next winter, you can definitely just bury the pot and the plant will be happier than if the pot is above ground in our hot Texas summers. Roots will grow out of the pot and into the surrounding soil and the soil temp will stay more constant, making for a healthier plant. All you need to do then is just give it some compost and some liquid feed occasionally.

However, if you want to plant it straight in--it sounds like it was very happy last year in the ground--you can be less fussy about the soil. They are much more forgiving of poor soil when they're planted in the earth.

Those of us who keep most of ours in pots all year need to be careful with our potting mix, which is why you see so many discussions about it here.

Hopefully you see some blooms this year--with branching--and can tell us what color you have!

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've had a couple days to think about how I'm going to do this so................I think I will put it back in the ground no pot fill in with gritty mix and fertilize with osmacote and pray real hard. I'm hoping the root sytem will get stronger so when I dig up and put in a larger pot it won't stress out too much.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Phyllis - the gritty mix is very hard to beat in containers, but please avoid using it in the planting hole if you put your plant in the ground. It's best to backfill the planting hole with native soil (from the hole you dug) only - then mulch well, taking care to be sure you pull the mulch away from the trunk above the soil line.

Best luck to you!!

Al

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you Al!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

{{gwi:2595}} Al

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews