Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Received Some BIG Cuttings

Posted by Mike_in_Maryland (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 13:06

Got the attached while in Key West on business last week from a wonderful lady while walking past her yard.

I'm new to plumeria (about 6 months) and have a small one that I am trying to learn with. These cuttings are about 2-3 feet. Should they be trimmed further before planting? Assume the drying time is about 2-3 weeks or should it be longer due to their size?

Thanks to all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Received Some BIG Cuttings

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 16:20

Those are nice cutting mike. I would root them as is. that is a great size in my opinion. Good luck and glad to see you post here.

Mike

o

Mike,

Thank you. Obviously larger pots needed, but any idea how deep for hormone on stem and depth in the soil? My little one from Hawaii only went down about 4", but these will seem to want to tip over. Also, if were to take the smaller of the three and plant as a "baby", is there anything I can do with a stem with two cut ends?

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 19:05

You can start them in big pots if you want but most of us use a water bottle, baggie or other similiar container to get the roots started first then transplant into the first year pot. No need to take up more room than you have to. I never use hormone but others just dust the cut.

center cuts which have cuts on both ends will root just fine but to me make ugly plants as the new tips come out sideways and then have to turn up. Just looks bad to me.

good luck!

mike

o

Just make sure you pot up the center cut the right end up. The old leaf nodes will smile if in the right direction.

Just a thought. I'll be back to post later mike!!!

Looking good !

Like the other mike mentioned. Pot up the cuttings in a small water bottle or plastic cup. I use Starbucks. Add holes.

Good luck !!

Laura

o

After you put them in individual water bottles / gatorade bottles or the like, you can then put all of them in a larger pot together to keep them stable. Add mulch or rocks as necessary to add stability.

o

You can put 5-6 bottles in a 5 gallon black pot with gravel in the bottom or larger cuttings in a large plastic pot. Bill

o

Bill,

Thanks for the great idea. Hope I didn't wait too long. The cuttings are about 3 weeks old, but got them done today. Unfortunately, can't put anything outside as yet. 3-5 inches of snow due tomorrow, but sitting in a nice south facing window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here