Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dormant Plumerias

Posted by fancyorchid San Fran. Pen. (annamariav@netzero.net) on
Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 13:36

Well....yesterday was in the upper 60s here....I put all my Plumies in the backyard, by the back fence, here they get the longest exposure to sun!!
I watered them all(they still have a lot of leaves, except one)....as I said in a previous post, I've never taken them inside during the winter but kept protected from the frost.
We have "showers" forecast for tomorrow and the weekend, can they tolerate the "extra" moisture since they sit on the ground?

The one that shed all the leaves has little "claws" on top of it's three branches, should I just watered it once a week, or when it gets really dry....or should I just mist the "claws"?

The only one that went dormant was kept in a dark closet, I put IT outside only when it's sunny and warm!

I realize everyone I've given YOU a lot to "digest", I'd really appreciate any feed back!!!

Thank you for your patience,
Annamaria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dormant Plumerias

I dont think the extra moisture will be a problem as long as it is warm enough for it to dry out within a week or so. Plumerias are tolerant as a lot of things and as long as the pot has good drainage, it shouldnt have any problems at all. They cant sit in water though. The one that has the "claws" probably should get less water than all the others and I would water it once a week if its in the 60s and sunny.

Good luck!

Good luck!

o
RE: Dormant Plumerias

Hi fancyorchid.

Misting the claws does nothing for a plumie except maybe cause black tip from mold..I would probably just let the natural rains do that. I would never mist mine..

I would watch carefully the one that has no leaves, making sure that the soil dries out if you watered, and keep it out of the rain.

As for the others with leaves, as long as your soil mix has great drainage, the extra rain will not hurt them, epsecially if the earth is wicking the moisture out of your pots by setting the pots on the ground.

Take it from me, who had all mine in pots, not on the ground, where it rained 80% of my cool summer last year, and never lost a one to rot..

Be very watchful about your soil media. What may seem to drain well for you and dry fairly quickly, may be a different story for someone else...You will get a feel for your plants needs, if you are very intune with them and the soil, preferrably, soilless mix you use..:-)

Mike..:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here