Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting not doing well--photos

Posted by marcia_pa5 PA5 & FL9b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 14:14

I know next to nothing about plumeria but got 4 cuttings at a local arts/crafts festival. Three of the cuttings are showing signs of growth but the fourth, an unnamed yellow, is withering. The upper 7 inches of the cutting above the soil in the pot is withering and the lower half still seems firm. Here are some photos. What would you do with it--continue with it as is, cut it back, or chuck it? Thanks for any suggestions.
Marcia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting not doing well--photos

cut off an inch from the top. If it is dark or black, cut another inch until you get to green wood. Let dry and hope for the best.After a day you can coat the cut with spackle, tub and tile sealant, water based paint or tree pruning tar. You can just leave it but sometimes this leads to more black tip. Coating it reduces the chances of more black tip but is not a guarantee. If the plant recovers, it will start growing small new branches parallel to the sides or at an angle. Good luck. If you leave it alone, the disease will spread downward. Bill

o

Thanks, Bill. I wasn't sure if a cutting would grow if the end was cut off--all of the photos I've seen on the Internet show a cutting that includes the end of a branch. I'll give that a try--nothing much to lose!
Marcia

o

Here is an image of the cutting after taking off the first inch (and the inch piece cut in half). Should I cut another inch off, since there is still some dark showing? If there is still a dark line showing after that, should I continue cutting until only green & white show?
Thanks.
Marcia

o

I would cut thin slices dipping my knife in alcohol between cuts until that black is gone. You are very close to where it should end.

o
RE: cutting not doing well--result of surgery

Thanks again, Bill. The fungus went pretty far down. I probably took off more than half of the cutting and have about 5 inches above soil line left. What will be, will be. Thanks for your advice.
Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here