Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how tall do they get?

Posted by shawnalis 7 Dallas TX (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 17:29

The plumerias I've seen in Hawaii and Egypt are truly tree-sized, but how tall can I expect mine to get if it's hauled in-and outside every year? I don't know what kind it is.

Also, if I sink the pot in the ground, can it tolerate cooler temperatures?

Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how tall do they get?

Shawn,
There are Dwarf plumies that only get about 6ft tall, and there are compact and semi compact. Ones that are leggy can get really tall like Aztec Gold, India, Miami Rose, etc.

So depending on what you are looking for you might want to see what kind of growth habit the plant has.

o

A standard plumeria will grow about a foot per year. In a large pot the growth will slow down at about 7-9 feet. By pruning you can keep a plant at any designated height, but pruning usually results in the loss of one season of flowers unless the pruning is staggared. Eventually you will need to root prune your plants as they will become quite root bound but this is relatively easy.

o

Bill - I know I have 2 plumarias in large pots that definately need to be root pruned this year. They are just barely starting to wake up. When and how should I root prune? Will they stay in the same pot when finished?

RA in SC

o

Take a keyhole saw and cut around the inside of your pot about two inches from the edge so the saw is straight up and down. With a large spoon, remove the two inches of soil. Grab the stem and slide the remaining root ball out of the pot and cut two inches off the bottom. Empty the pot. Put new soil mix in the bottom of the pot (about 2") and arrange the old root ball so it stands as you want. Now fill in the soil around the outside of the root ball. The best time is during the dormant period. Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here