Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidj_09

How close together should I inground plant my Plumeria?

davidj_09
15 years ago

I have twenty different color Plumeria's I have rooted and had growing in containers for several years.I recently bought a home and want to plant my trees in my yard.How far apart should I plant them and how far away from the house?Your advice and suggestions will be appreciated.Thank you

Comments (13)

• merandy19
    15 years ago

I see you are in Zone 9. You will probably struggle
    keeping your plumeria from cold damage.
    Good luck!!
    Randy in Savannah z8b

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi David
    Remember even though you are in zone 9 this is still dormacy..even though the temps are warm. Don't put your plants in the ground yet..not until March or April, depending where you are. We could still hit wet cold spells
    Karen b

• davidj_09
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm on Galveston bay and my house faces south.Although the weather has been freezing in the towns north of Houston we have not had a single drop below 34 here.Our weather patterns have changed to warmer temps.

• lovefrangis
    15 years ago

I would wait until spring to plant anything. You can plant them pretty close together as long as it's not permanent, which I wouldnt suggest in zone 9. In the fall, when they go dormant, you can dig them up and bareroot them inside to protect from freeze or cold damage. Then plant them up again in the spring. Check out how BradsBuds and blooms does it and he's in Florida. Click on ALL the pics to get the idea
    http://bradsbudsandblooms.com/overwintering.php

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I thought So. CA was only zone 9..did not realize that it was also down south...good luck on on the cool temps now, pray no freezing.
    Karen B

• brighty
    15 years ago

Davidj,

Plumerias can grow as big as a Volkswagon, so if you are planning on planting them permanently you may want to keep that in mind. :)

Brighty

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi Brighty.
    As big as a volkswagon? Gosh hope not. ha Now I am worried. ha
    Karen B

• linda Kelley
    10 years ago

I have been growing 3 plumerias for about 2 years. They are approx 7 feet tall and across. They look bare at the bottom and I was thinking of planting a shorter plumeria near it. Is this a bad idea?

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

In reality 10 feet apart. You can grow them 3-5 feet apart in a hedge but eventually these are trees and become trees. It just takes 30=50 years to get to trees.
    Bud's trees (Guillot's sunset, Saigon Moon, Jeannie Moragne):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    as you can see they are much bigger than a volkswagon.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

I just put 3 in the ground spaced out 2 feet apart. I had them at 3 feet but they looked so sad and lonely so I moved them closer. I know they will eventually get huge but I'll deal with that when the time comes. But for now they still have to look somewhat presentable in the front of the house. So I did what I had to do.

I'll post some pics in my other thread later. :)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

David,
    Beachplant is also in Galveston. She would be the best advice giver for dealing with your climate. i think you will be OK to leave in ground year round (with a frost blanket handy). From what she has told me she hasn't brought hers inside in quite some time.

As far as planting distances I would defer to the 10 feet apart rule and would not put it any closer to the house than 5 feet.

• Cheryle Yeoman
    8 days ago

Distace Apart frangapanni