Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Pics of Dormant Plumeria waking up...DR's too!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to post some pics of my Plumeria still in the "back" room waiting to be brought out to start their journey for the summer...they are at the starting line and ready to go!!! The seed pod is still looking good on the Noid...Im still keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to grow and produce some seeds for me...

Also the DR's are showing signs as well...I did cut one of my Dormant DR's a few eeks ago...It is already showing signs of growth..I really didn't expect this...I really wanted to wait for spring..but I wanted to see what would happen...

{{gwi:6480}}

{{gwi:6482}}

Seed pod on my Noid

{{gwi:6484}}

This is the DR that i cut back a few weeks ago...

{{gwi:5131}}

close up of the same DR...showing signs of new growth...

{{gwi:5130}}

{{gwi:5129}}

{{gwi:5132}}

DR growing under lights for the winter..

{{gwi:1153345}}

I can't wait until spring..

Take care everyone....

Laura in VB

Comments (16)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Spring is on the way! Glad to see your DR's ad Plumerias waking up. Your agave still looks really beautiful. Agaves seem to be one of the few plants of mine that actually dont mind being indoors.

One of my plumerias is blooming indoors by a window. I really didnt expect such nice blooms and its a great reminder of Summer! My DR lost its leaves in October and hasnt moved since, but Im really hoping that it wakes up soon!

The forecast looks cold here, especially later this week, but the good news is that in just 6 weeks the frost hardy plants will probably be heading outside.
    Thanks for sharing! Im hoping for an early spring!!
    -Alex

• dpolson37
    13 years ago

Hi Laura, your plumerias and DRs look like they want spring to be here. I'm amazed at the seedpod. It's good that it lasted being inside. Only a couple more months and you can put it outside. All the tips looks so green and healthy. I'm pushing mine along in my little greenhouse. The conditions are about 80 degrees and humid inside there and so far they are doing well. Two more months and they are going outside for some real rain and sun. Slowly though of course.

My DRs are loosing their last remaining leaves, but still have stiff stems so I'm hopeful they will take off once the warm weather begins. Can't wait to see all your plants blooming. {{gwi:1153346}}From Garden 2011

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Alex...Great to hear from you!!! How have you been?
    You are lucky to have one bloom ...no lights? Just under normal indoor lights....lucky!!! I have a California Sunset that is pushing a huge inflo...I have a pic but it is not in focus...my canera is acting weird...I will try and take another pic tomorrow and post for you..the strange thing is that I have this CS near the lights,,,but not close like the Celadine and the Wizard . These two have been under the lights all winter...but the California Sunset was only near the other plants that were under lights...but the are pushing inflos...go figure!!! LOL..

Hey Dave...I will post a pic of the DR that you sent ot me...it still has baby leaves and has about 10-12 little limbs on it. I keep it with the baby plumies on the heated mat. Seems to like it there...so it will stay until springtime...So glad to hear form you,,,you Plumerisa look great dave!! Great Job my friend!!!

Hope all is great with you and yor family!!! Keep in touch dave...

Laura in VB

P.S. I will post a pic of your DR tomorrow..my battery died tonight...its charging right now!!!

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Im doing good! Hope all is well by you!
    Your plumerias sounds like they are very happy! I think I'll get some growing lights next winter for mine since they seem to have amazing results. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the California Sunset inflo. I'm thinking of getting one this spring.
    I'll try and get a pic of my blooming plumeria. Its been blooming for about 2 weeks now and all the buds are happy (only one flower has been spent so far!)
    -Alex

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Akex...

hear is the California Sunset puushing up this huge inflo...I really hope that it slows down though..I'm not ready for it to be so large right yet!!! I'm sorry its not really in focus!!! Camera is not cooperating tonight!!!
    {{gwi:1153347}}
    Here is my little DR still on the heat mat all winter!!
    Thanks Dave P... :)
    {{gwi:6490}}

Take care everyone!!!

Alex...do you have a Cal Sunset? Interested in a cutting? let me know... : )

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Beautiful inflo on that plumeria Laura! Thanks for posting! It looks like it should still be in bloom when it goes out for the summer.
    I would love some california sunset cuttings when the weather warms up! I dont have any plumeria cuttings to offer in return yet, but I will have some other plants if you are interested. I'll send you an email.
    -Alex

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    13 years ago

Hi Alex, Dave and Laura.....I have great news also, my Plumies have started "WAKING UP" a few weeks ago...I do not use any growing lights, just the sun coming through my South exposed living room window!! As soon as I noticed the tips getting "moist", I started spraying them with dist. H2O/Vit.B1 mix, some have leaves 3 inches long, I wished I could post some pics of them, but I'm not good about downloading pics and all that "stuff"!!! I could take some pics with my cell phone, though, and email them to the group website!!!
    Annamaria

P.S....Last week I decided to use water and Epsom Salts, that's when I noticed a bigger growth!

• isobea
    13 years ago

Hi Annamaria, what is the ratio water/Epsom Salts? I'm pretty new to plumies and have never added ES before.
    By the way, my plants are slowly waking up, too, but are no more advanced than everyone else's. Except my Calif. Sunset which is still putting out one flower at a time from last year's inflo (only has 2 leaves left).
    Happy growing everyone,
    Iso

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Laura, HELLO!

They are looking just beautiful!

I wish I could bring mine outside now..:-(

I just lost a plumie today. It branches were very mushy, collapsed, while the trunk near the soil line was very firm. Even the roots looked white and healthy!
    I was wondering if they can rot. or dehydrate from lack of water, the reverse from overwatering? If it was root rot or too much water, wouldn't the trunk rot first then spread to the branches?

These plants just confuse me so. I hate it when I loose just one. The rest look ok.

I just love your skill for growing these plants and I can't wait to see new pictures of these sitting by your pool come this year. I also see an inflo:-)))

Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures and hello to all the familiar names here.

Talk to you soon my dear friend.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

You know, I was re-reading this post again and I noticed some use Epsom Salts.

I did this faithfully as soon as my plumeria started to awaken last year on some, and others none for an experiment, and found it made no difference.

It could be me, but I did not even get any flowers at all, and I started them all in March in my hot greenhouse at teh same time.
    All they did was grow nice leaves, both batches.

Can anyone explain this?

Is there some step I am missing to promote flowers?

Laura, do you feed them at certain times? With a certain produc, or just treat them all the same as your other houseplants? I use FP on these too. Do you do anything special?
    Is this type of plant just one that flowers with a bit of luck and either they do or don't?
    Is it just a luck of the draw?
    Do they have minds of their own no matter what we do to encourage blooms?

You are doing a great job on yours Laura!

Mike:-)))))))

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

Laura,

At what temps do you maintain your Desert Roses at in winter? And how much do you water? I would like to try one again some time. I've had them rot in the cool garage (too much water?) and in the basement (too dry?). Not sure. Do they need light when dormant?

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello EVeryone,

Mike...You are doing everything right..I responded to your thread..on what I do with mine...Like Bill suggest..I use epsom salt once I bring them outside..or into the temps greenhouse...then a few weeks later..i fertilize with reduced strenght...also use fish emulsion and seaweed extract...i also mix in some b-1 and superthrive...I actually use superthrive everytime i water....These trees have their own personality...I have seen some strange things with mine...some have produced inflos..then the new branches that have formed from the split have new inflos...it just depends on how they are in the growth phase...they will produce inflos when they decide to!!

Dave..I keep my DR's in the greatroom with the other tropicals...i do not keep them tucked away like the Plumeria..but they naturally drop their leaves and just stay in a somewhar dormant phase...I do water maybe once a month..more so than the Plumeria...They just hang out with the other plants in my room..average temp in here is 69*..or when I turn it up to 70* without my hubby seeing me turn up the thermostate!! LOL..really they just are happy where they are..I don't move them at all either...I did experimnet with one of them and cut back some of the limbs a few weeks ago...now they are putting out new branches...so i will probably trim them up just a little before I put them ot for the spring...My limbs are still green and look strong...I think one of the keys is to just let them be..just like the plumeria..if we try and mother them to much they tend to act up on us...I learned this the hard way...Bill has taught me from the get go that we have to just let the do their own thing and just monitor them...

Hope this helps!!!

How is everything up in NoVa? Pretty cold here..two nights ago we received 5 inches of snow...go figure?

To much snow.and to cold for me!! LOL..

How is your cute little K---?

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to say hello to Fancyorchid..You sound like your are on the active track...great job!!! let us know how they are doing...do you use Phtobucket? Its easy to post...let me know if you need other advice on posting...Tropical zone helps me greatly when I was learning to post...

Hi ALex...

Hi Dave P...

Hi Dave K...

Hello Everyone!!!

• isobea
    13 years ago

Maybe I overlooked somebody's response - but may I ask again what the ratio water/Epsom Salts is? Thanks,
    Iso

Original Author
    13 years ago

HI isobea...

When I give them the first dose for the season...I use 1 tablespoon per gallon...then maybe once a month during the summer i will reduce to about 1-2 tsp per gallon...I also flush them with water at least once a month between fertilizing...

Some have different measurements for the Epsom salt..but i find that the first dose gives them the boost to wake up and gives them a good start...

Hope this helps!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

P.S. Mike.... I received a great surprise today....Tell Sissy that I love them!!!! I put them on right when I received them!!! The color is perfect...Va. Tech color... ( go Hokies!!) I will email you later..but i just wanted to say...THANK YOU...she is so sweet!!! : ) (and talented!!!)

• isobea
    13 years ago

Hi Laura, thanks for the info! I'm so happy I found this forum. Everybody here is so nice and helpful. All this advice will help me avoid some of the mistakes people usually make in the beginning.
    I can't wait to see the flowers of the cuttings I am rooting. Last year only my Calif. Sunset and the white Noid were old enough to bloom.
    Thanks again,
    Iso

Sponsored