Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need cutting advice

Posted by daogirl SoCal 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 19:04

So, this is the Maui orange-cutting-who-shall-not-be-named ... It's been sitting on top of a bookcase for a couple of months (I kind of forgot about it), and lo-and-behold, this is what is happening ...

I really don't want to cut off the inflo, so I very carefully removed it from the soil to see how the rooting is going. It looks like there are definite root nubs there, although no actual roots.

I have very carefully replanted/staked the cutting, and have started misting it again with water and Superthrive. My question is, do you think I should cut off the inflo? Or can I just leave it alone to do its thing? The cutting itself looks fine - a little wrinkly, but firm. It's been rooting since July. The end looks dark from a combination of Clonex (which is dark purple) and planting medium.

I'm tempted to leave the inflo on just to see what the flowers look like.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need cutting advice

I have always left on the inflo and used the egg method..many think I am NUTTS, but it has never failed me and I get to enjoy the flowers..hoping it is Kapalua???? roxanne

o

I would leave it on and wrap the container with a heat mat or Christmas lights.

o

I agree..

As long as its growing leaves and pushing the inflo then I would leave it. Looks like root activity is close so enjoy! The only time I might consider cutting is if the inflo was growing and you didn't have any energy sent to the development of making roots . ( you want to see leaves growing with the inflo) .

Congratulation on that cutting! Great job!!!

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 2:11

o

Thanks, y'all!! Roxanne - yes, supposedly this is Kapalua, although until it blooms I won't know for sure.

Ok, I will leave it alone! I put it back on the bookcase - for some reason plants love it there. It gets a lot of indirect light and there's a heat vent up there that keeps things warm. I'll take it down to mist it occasionally until it's warm enough to go back outside full time. (which with the way our temps are going, shouldn't be too much longer ...)

o

what part of SoCal are you in? roxanne

o

I'm in east LA county/Inland Empire-ish region (Claremont, specifically).

o

so, you have the nice warm summers for them to grow in. Ever been to Matthew's Island Plumeria in Northridge? roxanne

o

No, I haven't been there (...yet!). I've heard really nice things, though.

Our weather in the summer is warm to blazingly hot - I'm usually trying to keep my plumeria from getting toasted! I have to be really careful what direction/amount of light exposure they get.

o

maybe you can come this way for our luau in July this year.... roxanne

o

Hey, we're neighbors, daogirl! :) I'm closer to Chino. ;)

Mima

o

I am in Ventura, not sure how far from Chino?

o

Roxanne - that would be awesome ... I'd love to see your garden (and the blue pots!) in person.

SagoLover - Yes, pretty close! How are your growing conditions down there?

o

cool....look for a July date when Laura is coming out....this will be great! roxanne

o

Literally at the Chino border. Ontario-Chino area. :)

o

Hollis, it looks pretty good but you may want to mist it several times a day. Hope those blooms open for you soon!

o

I know this is a little late but I would not cut off the inflo either. The cutting looks like it is rooting so you should be good to go!

I bet that in lo will turn into a gorgeous flower. Can you post pics when it flowers please?

Andrew

o

Thanks, everyone ... I'll definitely post pictures when it blooms!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here