Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

How or where do you sell plumerias you don't want??

No-Clue
11 years ago

Hi all,

I am at a point where I need to cut out 50% of my collection. (Should have listened to Bill) I simply do not have enough space for all of them.

I currently have around 70 plants but I can only keep around 30. There are still a few more that I really want so I will have to make room for those.

So what is the easiest way to sell them? I'm not looking to make a profit or anything, but if I can get close to what I paid for them (then I can fund my JL Hawaiian Fire and replace JL Golden Pagoda). DH is not comfortable with people coming to our house so I can't do a yard sale or anything. Plus I don't think the HOA will allow that either. So I'm thinking I must do this online, but how? How do you all do it? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

What are you selling, what's the prices and will you ship?

Please hurry back! LOL

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I would think Craigslist might be a good place. You could just meet people at a public place.
    It's a shame most of us don't live near you. ;)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mona if I know they are going to a loving home then it will make it easier to part with them. I will try to make a list of what I am giving up with what I paid for then and you guys can tell me if its reasonable? Shipping fee will be whatever the actual cost is.

As I mentioned I am not trying to make money just trying to trade in many to get the few I really want. Thanks.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

The shipping could be the issue. If I recall correctly, weren't they in the gritty mix, which has to weigh quite a bit?

• torqtjk
    11 years ago

I might be interested. I live in LA county, are you somewhere reasonably close? What varieties are you trying to get rid of?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Thanks, Lynn. I will look forward to seeing the list! You might want to include the size so it will give us an idea if shipping is feasible.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DelWH,

No not all of them are in gritty mix. I was only testing the mix and due to my health the whole process from driving all over to get the supplies to mixing and re-potting were just too much to handle. So I aborted that plan.

Torqtik, I'm in OC... so not too far from you. Probably best to have someone local since some of my plants are big. For example there is no way I can ship Thumbalina!

I'm compile the list soon... but from the top of my head I'm letting these go.

Thumbalina
    CA Sunset
    Celadine (I have two so only keeping one)
    Elsie
    Lurline
    Wild fire (I have two so only keeping one)
    Waimea (I have three so keeping two)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I would like a Waimea if there is a one in shipping size. Are you going to bare-root them? Would love to ponder over the others too but I have to go back to the hospital.

• cessna_175
    11 years ago

Can you get any cuttings from the big ones? I think this is a good place to find people interested in the plants you would like to let go. As for those in gritty mix, you could send them bare root in moss. Keep us updated on your list.

Bill

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

Maybe you should have a forum near-to-the-OC meetup somewhere like the big shopping center that is close to Upland Nursery in Tustin and we could all meet there to relieve you of these excess plumerias. Afterwards we could all go to Upland to check out their beautiful and not-exactly-bargain plumerias. Count me in if you decide on something like this idea!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Lynn, I did the same thing. I was lucky enought to find neighbors who lost all their plumeria in the same freeze I lost mine in. They were so excited, when I called to ask. I only charged them what I paid for the plants. Like you, I only kept the ones that I really love the color, size of the bloom and fragance. I went down to 36 plumeria. I ordered from Carol this year, only 3 plants, and one of them is waimea, which I can cancel, and buy yours if its not too big to mail out. Mine were all too big to mail. Andrew has been looking for a wildfire, so wait until he reads your post. He might just buy everything from you, knowing Andrew. Barbra

• georgecc
    11 years ago

No-Clue, let me know if you take up Toomanydogs' idea, I'd be interested.

• torqtjk
    11 years ago

I would def take a few of these off your hands. Whats the size of cal sunset, elsie and wild fire? Any pictures?

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry guys I have been out celebrating Chinese New Year all day. If the weather is warm tomorrow I will go out and take some pics of what they look like now and if I can find pics of the same plants when they were blooming this past summer I will post them as well.

Simidude, I am open to it...just need to make sure DH can drive me since I can't due to my numb leg.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Lynn, I am going to stay with the waimea, I ordered from FC. I want to keep the plant that Luc grafted for me. My plants are not going to be mailed out until April.
    Barbra

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds great Barbra!

I have been so busy w/ the kids and the planning of my yard. Hopefully once that is done I can know for sure what other plants have to go.

Since most of my plants are in 5 Gal they might be hard to ship... so I might have to try the local route. I am sure Luc will graft you a beautiful tree! You have mentioned his work... so if I can't find Raspberry Sundae by this spring/summer I will ask him to graft one for me. :)

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Luc passed away this week, sadly.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Never had one I didn't want. I just plant them in the yard.
    Good luck!
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals