Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How or where do you sell plumerias you don't want??

Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 22:22

Hi all,

I am at a point where I need to cut out 50% of my collection. (Should have listened to Bill) I simply do not have enough space for all of them.

I currently have around 70 plants but I can only keep around 30. There are still a few more that I really want so I will have to make room for those.

So what is the easiest way to sell them? I'm not looking to make a profit or anything, but if I can get close to what I paid for them (then I can fund my JL Hawaiian Fire and replace JL Golden Pagoda). DH is not comfortable with people coming to our house so I can't do a yard sale or anything. Plus I don't think the HOA will allow that either. So I'm thinking I must do this online, but how? How do you all do it? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How or where do you sell plumerias you don't want??

What are you selling, what's the prices and will you ship?

Please hurry back! LOL

o

I would think Craigslist might be a good place. You could just meet people at a public place.
It's a shame most of us don't live near you. ;)

-Robert

o

Mona if I know they are going to a loving home then it will make it easier to part with them. I will try to make a list of what I am giving up with what I paid for then and you guys can tell me if its reasonable? Shipping fee will be whatever the actual cost is.

As I mentioned I am not trying to make money just trying to trade in many to get the few I really want. Thanks.

o

The shipping could be the issue. If I recall correctly, weren't they in the gritty mix, which has to weigh quite a bit?

o

I might be interested. I live in LA county, are you somewhere reasonably close? What varieties are you trying to get rid of?

o

Thanks, Lynn. I will look forward to seeing the list! You might want to include the size so it will give us an idea if shipping is feasible.

o

• Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 11:24

DelWH,

No not all of them are in gritty mix. I was only testing the mix and due to my health the whole process from driving all over to get the supplies to mixing and re-potting were just too much to handle. So I aborted that plan.

Torqtik, I'm in OC... so not too far from you. Probably best to have someone local since some of my plants are big. For example there is no way I can ship Thumbalina!

I'm compile the list soon... but from the top of my head I'm letting these go.

Thumbalina
CA Sunset
Celadine (I have two so only keeping one)
Elsie
Lurline
Wild fire (I have two so only keeping one)
Waimea (I have three so keeping two)

o

I would like a Waimea if there is a one in shipping size. Are you going to bare-root them? Would love to ponder over the others too but I have to go back to the hospital.

o

Can you get any cuttings from the big ones? I think this is a good place to find people interested in the plants you would like to let go. As for those in gritty mix, you could send them bare root in moss. Keep us updated on your list.

Bill

o

Maybe you should have a forum near-to-the-OC meetup somewhere like the big shopping center that is close to Upland Nursery in Tustin and we could all meet there to relieve you of these excess plumerias. Afterwards we could all go to Upland to check out their beautiful and not-exactly-bargain plumerias. Count me in if you decide on something like this idea!

o

Lynn, I did the same thing. I was lucky enought to find neighbors who lost all their plumeria in the same freeze I lost mine in. They were so excited, when I called to ask. I only charged them what I paid for the plants. Like you, I only kept the ones that I really love the color, size of the bloom and fragance. I went down to 36 plumeria. I ordered from Carol this year, only 3 plants, and one of them is waimea, which I can cancel, and buy yours if its not too big to mail out. Mine were all too big to mail. Andrew has been looking for a wildfire, so wait until he reads your post. He might just buy everything from you, knowing Andrew. Barbra

o

No-Clue, let me know if you take up Toomanydogs' idea, I'd be interested.

o

I would def take a few of these off your hands. Whats the size of cal sunset, elsie and wild fire? Any pictures?

o

Sorry guys I have been out celebrating Chinese New Year all day. If the weather is warm tomorrow I will go out and take some pics of what they look like now and if I can find pics of the same plants when they were blooming this past summer I will post them as well.

Simidude, I am open to it...just need to make sure DH can drive me since I can't due to my numb leg.

o

Lynn, I am going to stay with the waimea, I ordered from FC. I want to keep the plant that Luc grafted for me. My plants are not going to be mailed out until April.
Barbra

o

• Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 22:00

Sounds great Barbra!

I have been so busy w/ the kids and the planning of my yard. Hopefully once that is done I can know for sure what other plants have to go.

Since most of my plants are in 5 Gal they might be hard to ship... so I might have to try the local route. I am sure Luc will graft you a beautiful tree! You have mentioned his work... so if I can't find Raspberry Sundae by this spring/summer I will ask him to graft one for me. :)

o

Luc passed away this week, sadly.

o

Never had one I didn't want. I just plant them in the yard.
Good luck!
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here