Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Signs Of Activity...

Hello Everyone!!!

This has been one of those strange winters. We have had record snow and temps Into the single digits. The trees that are supposed to be dormant never really did...I have some that are sleeping, some that are waking up and some that are pushing Inflos already!!!

Today we had some warm temps so I decided to check on some of the babies. Much to my surprise, I found this beauty on my Maya!! This cutting was given to me by another local Coastal Virginian here in my area (Mahalo Peg!!) as a cutting a few years ago. I rooted this cutting and each year it produced beautiful leaves. I never thought that I would see an inflo on this variety, but.... The Plumeria Gods decided that it was time!!!

I am stoked about this one!!! The other Inflos that I noticed today are KS, Bali Whirl, Kapalua ( never went dormant either).

Please add pics of your trees and or Inflos that are starting to emerge this spring !!

Take Care,

Laura

Comments (15)

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Wow Laura- exciting to see!! I will post a pic tomorrow and show off mine that I noticed was also pushing an inflo (Irma Bryant) - not quite sure if that's the exact name but that's what the tag says ;-) (the one from Costco)

Chuy

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have inflos pushing on at least 10 of mine. One that has not bloomed yet and now has it's first inflo is Madame Poni. Very excited to see this one. Super Round is another that will be a first as well.

So hoping that we don't get a freak hail storm or something to change all this... roxanne

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hi everyone!!! yes Laura, I agree, strange winter and my plants had a very hard time going dormant, if they ever truly did.

Some I think were in a kind of limbo...especially the ones I have under lights - not really dormant but dropped their leaves. And it's so strange but I'm starting to see new leaf activity on many of my plumies and adenium suddenly...as if they all conspired together to that it was time to begin. THEY JUST KNOW!

Chuy and Rox, congrats on your inflos!! Can't wait to see them!

I'm not aware of any inflos yet but that's ok! I just want them all to have survived the cold and to be ready for a great season!

• mike_in_maryland
    10 years ago

Laura,

As the still rookie, wonder if you would take a few minutes to look at the attached. This is the one I brought back from Hawaii last August. Dropped its leaves in early December and seems to be enjoying the sunny SW window for winter. Perimeter water it about 1 cup every 4-6 weeks. Looks like it's coming back to life. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Also, was in Key West and saw a large, dormant plumeria. The owner was outside and I asked if I may take a cutting...about an hour later she gave me about half the bush. Four very large cuttings that I will post to the thread for advice because they are so big. How long to dry? About two weeks?

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hi Mike! Your plant is looking good from what I can see in the pic! It does look like it's starting to wake up!

My only suggestion is you may want to consider raising the plant up so the rocks / soil are closer to the top of the pot - when the sun really gets strong that space in the pot can create a reflective heat oven type of situation that can cook the trunk severely.

What variety is this that you brought back or what color?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike !!

I think it looks like a normal cutting getting ready to wake up and enjoy the growing season!! Great job!!

Emily is spot on about the radiant heat that will or could burn the stem. If you keep it like this in the heat of the summer, you wil most likely have some burn. You could always cut the black plastic down to a 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the soil line and let it get established this summer, then next year just pot up to a container ( around the same size it is In Now..). That way you will eliminate the worry about burning the stem and messing with repotting now.. If you like the rocks.. Just move them from touching the stem itself. If you are using them to keep it secure, you could always use a little stake on either side and use tape to secure.

Looks wonderful!!

;-)

Laura

• mike_in_maryland
    10 years ago

The photograph on the cutting package showed white with a yellow center and the label said white plumeria. After planting I sent an email to the company, Grow Hawaii, asking what variety it may be, and there response was it could be any number of white plumeria varieties so until it flowers, I really have no idea.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Here's what I found last week to my surprise!! Excited!! ;-)

Chuy

• rox146
    10 years ago

Chuy, what is the label ? roxanne

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Roxanne - Irma Bryant ( from Costco) ;-)

Chuy

• rox146
    10 years ago

ahhh haaaa.....I have Irma Bryant, but from Derrick on North Shore. My Madame Poni is looking just like that with a red stem....do you think it is the cold Chuy? Or night time lows that make the stem turn that red? roxanne

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Very nice Roxanne! I bought the tree last spring. I'm a bit confused because it's never been this warm in the winter and I haven't had it a year yet - but I think my guess is the cold. The night time lows haven't been too cold lately. A month or so ago it did get to about high 30's to low 40's. But I am guessing the cold. Love the look either way! ;-)

Chuy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning ladies!!

That beautiful red stem is the variety itself! Reds typically have this color and when others grow seedlings, this is the first thing they look for in a seedling. This little clue is a good indication that it will have a bloom with color....

It's a beautiful trait!!!

Bravo, Chuy!'

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 11:34

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Laura- being a newbie still!! I never knew that ;)

thank you

Chuy

Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a beauty, Chuy!!! ;-)

Laura