Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellysplumies

What was your best seedling bloomer ?

ShellysPlumies
11 years ago

Hey all!!

Im new here and this is my first post :) ive been growing plumeria and plumeria seedlings for only about 5 years. And honestly, are seedlings worth the wait? my seedlings are 4 years old and still no blooms.. :( i know that they are not true to parent which is what makes it so exciting!

So i wanted to possibly see any pictures or if anyone wanted to share any past expierences with seedlings.

-Shelly

Comments (14)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    A seedling of Cindy Moragne- my favorite. Most of the others were nothing special and took years. I still have several over a decade old yet to flower. Of this group of 50, I think 3 were worth keeping. Seedlings take much space after 5 years.

• rox146
    11 years ago

I so agree. Exciting to grow something your own and hopes of having a good one to register and name...my 25 seedlings from 2005 have great growth and piddly blooms except for 2 great reds that I got from the 25...life is too short sometimes to do seed pods...;-) roxanne

• joanr
    11 years ago

Shelly,

Here is a picture of an Orange Punch seedling of ours. I am more than thrilled with this plumeria and it is also a great bloomer. Bloomed for the first time last year and at the end of the season it put on another info so I think it will be a good bloomer for us.

The thing with seedlings, you never know what you will get till they bloom. I have some others that look like their parent. While they are pretty, you always hope for that special one.

Joan

• elucas101
    11 years ago

WOW - tdogdad and joan, those are some really lovely seedlings!!! Nice to know there is hope to have even a couple of keepers, you've both got beauties!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Joan, that OP seedling is to die for! Nice to hear she may also be a good bloomer, too.

Shelly, this is a great question since many of us like dabbling with seeds of all kinds. Most of my seedlings are so small that I'll probably have to wait a few more years to see blooms, but I'm patient and have at least one big seedling that's made me hopeful.

I can't take credit for Blaze, she was grown from seed by a friend, but her color is so spectacular that I'm willing to put up with scanty blooming and what looks like a tall growth habit:

• arctictropical
    11 years ago

Here's my 3 year old seedling in bloom right now under grow lights in the basement. I don't remember the parent name. I've had 2 year old seedlings bloom before, if you put them under high intensity grow lights during the winter.

• rox146
    11 years ago

Those are all so gorgeous, wish mine had looked something even close to that. Are you 3 going to register and name them? roxanne

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW all those seedlings are gorgeous! I would be so proud :') lol thanks for the pics and feedback. I cant wait for my seedlings to bloom.

Joan, that OP seedling is a beauty! I just bought some OP seeds hopefully they turn out as beautiful as yours! :-)

Shelly

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW all those seedlings are gorgeous! I would be so proud :') lol thanks for the pics and feedback. I cant wait for my seedlings to bloom.

Joan, that OP seedling is a beauty! I just bought some OP seeds hopefully they turn out as beautiful as yours! :-)

Shelly

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

I too am totally in awe at all of y'all's seedlings! They are outstanding, all three.

I have my first ever seedpod right now, on Kaneohe Sunburst...I've been trying to decide what I will do with the seeds. I was leaning towards giving them away, as I don't realistically have the space to cultivate them...but these pics make me hesitate!

Greg

• arctictropical
    11 years ago

Hadn't thought about registering mine. I guess if it's really different than existing names varieties..... maybe.

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Greg, I would be sooo happy if you would pass a few seeds to me! please let me know when that seed pod cracks open :-) Kaneohe Sunburst is a great cultivar!

-Shelly

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Rox, I believe you need a couple of plants made from a seedling to meet the requirements of documenting a new plumie's characteristics.

I may try to work something out with Joan so we act as each other's second-plant keepers. ;)

• rox146
    11 years ago

That is good to know...I thought you had to take photos and have it bloom 3 years straight before you could begin the registration process. All 25 of mine are all different, and nothing special except the 2 reds but they only bloomed for the 1st time last summer and someone told me it takes 3 years to get their real smell and flower...mahalo, roxanne

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner