Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify a 2 year old seedling that just bloomed

Posted by arctictropical Z4 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 23:25

Does this flower look familiar? I suppose it could be Celadine, but I'm not so sure. Could it be Samoan Fluff? It had absolutely no pink in it's buds.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify a 2 year old seedling that just bloomed

I thought Somoan Fluff was more of a white color but I could easily be wrong. I am certainly no expert. Whatever you have there it really is nice! Congrats!
Andrew

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 16:17

its my understanding that seedlings arent true to the parent, right? Wouldnt that make this whatever you want it to be.

Mike

o

Seedlings are never named besides maybe 'Seedling of...' or you could name it whatever you wanted to.

Also, if you are growing it under lights it will look totally different when blooming outdoors.

o

It's a beautiful flower with thick-looking petals, very nice.

I agree with Dave on all his points, but there's also the variability with seedlings from first blooms to mature blooms. Could be a seedling of anything, though Celadine seems most likely.

o

Hi Kevin,

What a beauty!!!

I know how you want to try and name this cutie, but i have some seedlings that i have seen bloom and think they could be one type or another...since im not sure and it wasnt a true cutting. I label mine as seedling from tree XXX. That way i know where it came from and then wait to see the bloom.

Jen is correct, the first time my seedling bloomed, i thought it was a white. The second season it had a beautiful Pink with the colors of "My Valentine" A friend suggested to call it Valentino.. : ) That was a great idea!!! I always think of him when i see these blooms!!

Name it as "a possible XXX" Time will tell and you will still have a beauty of a Plumie that is blooming and healthy!!

Congratulations!!!

Laura

o

Thanks, everyone. I guess it doesn't matter who the parents are, as long as it has nice blossoms!

o

Wow a 2 year old seedling! Mine are 4 and 5 years old and none of them have bloomed yet. Congrats!

I'd call it beautiful.

Brighty

o

The indoor grow lights sure help speed up blooming. I had a 1 year old seedling bloom last winter.

o

Arctic thats great. Congrats. Your pictures always make me so envious. :P

As others have mentioned, seedlings should never be given the same cultivar name as it's parent even if self-pollinated. Officially named plumerias were registered with certain characteristics noted in the registration.

While some seedlings may resemble their pod parent's flowers closely they may take on different traits in their gene pool for better or worse (often things that aren't readily apparent such as increased disease resistance, vigor, propensity to bloom, etc.).

You can name it whatever you want. But to make it official, register it with the Plumeria Society of America if you find this seedling to be outstanding among others in performance, fragrance, or other characteristics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here