Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Share the Aloha

elucas101
11 years ago

Since everyone on this site is so amazing and generous, I thought it might be fun to make it a plan for each one of us to try and give some sort of cutting, seedling or plant to someone new who has never grown one before.

My target is a very nice lady named Cathy who's only mistake was leaving a booklet of postcards from Hawaii with a glossy cover featuring Plumeria, on her desk for me to see. I began chatting her up and have now offered her a plumeria this season which I will root for her and then she can relive her vacation and the Aloha through the beauty of the plumeria.

She doesn't stand a chance, does she? LOL!

Comments (7)

• pcput
    11 years ago

Emily, you are sooooooooo bad. Don't we just love making a new addict. Got to have some one else to share with. Good for you. Peg

• rox146
    11 years ago

I have been doing that on our street...I give the common white or yellow ones I first started with...have hooked 5 people now...nice to see them on the decks and patios as we go by....roxanne

• prsb
    11 years ago

Would some you consider moving into my street please...
    LOL

I am requesting cuttings for postage on this site. My fist try with a Hawaii-trip cutting rooted bloomed and grew and then I splashed some water on it thinking spring was here and the whole thing rotted to the core.

Pebbles

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peg LOL! I agree! I think half the fun is sharing these flowers and even pictures with each other. Getting someone new interested is really a joy because even if they know what they are, most don't think they can grow one here.

rox that's so funny - you have created an entire block of plumie junkies now! Good job!

pebble, a good place to try for great priced cuttings is A Piece of Paradise Candle Company - they have a package deal of 4 cuttings for $32 that includes shipping - really a great deal. There was a post from quayguy a few weeks back and he was giving out cuttings for shipping but I believe you had to provide your own box. Glad to see you're trying again, we've all had some mishaps and it stinks but it's so worth it to try again!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I have been so blessed already and for no reason other than the wonderful generous hearts and souls of the people here whom I consider dear friends. I may have never met anyone here face to face but I truly believe that given the chance the friendship would be just as wonderful. I hope that maybe even as soon as this season i will be able to bless someone else with a gift of plumeria. My first time giving one was to my mother. it was a tri tip NOID that is just now a year old and hopefully will bloom for her this year. Right now we share the same greenhouse so what is mine is also hers to enjoy. Its amazing how Plumeria and all the other wonderful plants this world has to offer can bring out the kindness and friendship that we all want and desire. Even if we are miles and miles apart.

mike

• jandey1
    11 years ago

You're so right, Emily! Nice to spread the love around!

Pebbles, if you're in Austin, I may be able to help you out if I can get some of these cuttings to root! We just had another meeting of plumeria junkies here in Central Texas and we all walked away with a handful of cuttings, thanks to kms2.

Email me if you're interested.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, I love what you wrote, that is so true and really epitomizes the atmosphere on this forum, that's why I like it so much. I've never seen a more generous, helpful group of people.

I too have been very lucky to have some very generous folks who have gone out of their way to spread the aloha, several people here have shared plants, pots, advice, and just an ear to rattle. That's truly the fun part!