Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimalf

New plumerias

mimalf
11 years ago

I'd want an honest opinion: what quality do you think a plumeria from Lowe's would be? I was checking growers and nurseries online and the search engine had Lowe's among other results. Different sizes/ages and prices, didn't say what kind but I could see them in store. Is it worth a trip to the store?
Thank you for any input.

Comments (46)

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

The Lowe's store in Melbourne was carrying JJ Divine for a decent price but I had to take it home, and repot because the store soaks all the plants every day. It's probably worth the trip but be careful!

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks plumygirl. So I should check for softness of the trunk? Or what other signs that they are not ok with too much moisture?

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

No problem...I would check for any softness anywhere, any slight discoloration on the trunk or lateral limbs. It looks like you only have one tiny brown root so if you cut it back to check for any creeping rot inside the core you might have a better chance at re-rooting if you don't find any additional problems. Good Luck!!

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Uuhh... I can't cut anything in the store though, and I also can't see the roots either. So I'd just have to stick :) to the checking of the trunk and branches if it has any.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

i picked up a JJ's thumbalina from a lowes in Tampa last year when i was there for vacation. The only indication that it was a Jungle Jacks plant was the tag had "Thumbalina" on it and a few others friends from florida had confirmed that they were JJ's

I agree with plumygirl. Lowes doesnt do a good job taking care of their stock but that to be expected I guess.

Dont be shy to tug on the plant to check roots. I have no problem doing that. I ran across some JJ plants here in Tulsa that barely had any roots at all.

mike

• becks3082
    11 years ago

I haven't purchased any plumeria at Lowe's, but i have purchased other plants there. I am 99.9% sure they have a 1 year return policy (even if the plant is dead) as long as you have the original container and receipt.

If there is a plant you think looks good this gives you some time if any issues arise.

Also, in terms of in-store visits, at least in FL, I typically see plumeria in the stores closer to summer. Thus you may want to call ahead on their availability. I have perceived it to be very seasonal.

Rebecca

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I'll better check first if they carry plumerias this time of the year. I was thinking that being a mild winter like usually in Socal (zone 10a) they might have them already, but I'll check with the store first. Thanks for the heads up Rebecca.
    Oh, lucky you, Mark! I'd wish I went just to take a glance and ended up with something so beautiful as you did.

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Becks is right, Lowes has a policy that if your plant dies in so many months that they will replace it. So make sure you keep your receipt for purchase proof just in case. ;)

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, this policy might just make my decision easier.

Thank you all for responding me!

• pcput
    11 years ago

SagoLover, I too have 3 JJ plants that came from Lowes last year. They don't have them here in VA. but a friend bought them for me in FL. She took care of them until Nov. when we made a trip down. I believe they got them in the stores around the end of May or early June. Search this forum for Lowes and I'm sure you will find the posts for last year when they made it into the stores in more than one state. Peg

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see how theirs are, who knows, maybe I'll get lucky with a Jungle Jack's one too. :)

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Hi Sago,

Confession: I live in Broward and annually "stalk" my local Lowe's for the new JJ plants--I consider it a sport ;-)

Just a heads up, though, that if this year is like the last few years, Lowe's WILL have JJ plants, but not now. Like Peg said, they will arrive around June 1. So relax...for now...

Greg

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, so that's something usual for Lowe's to bring Jungle Jack's plumerias! Good to know. But do they label them as such or how do you know? I'm not savvy in this field yet. All I've learned is only form the websites I've searched online.
    And also, why don't they bring them until June? I've called "my" Lowe's here and they said they could have plumerias as soon as the end of March. I don't know if this is true, maybe the guy didn't know for sure, I have no idea.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

I can't answer why--all I can tell you is that they have shown up at about the same time each of the past three years, around Memorial Day.

I have known some Lowe's to get plumerias from other vendors earlier in the season. The ones that will be JJ will say so and should have a tag that identifies them as being from "Better Gro", which is a Florida company that must buy from John in bulk.

Happy waiting! Will be here before we know it.

Greg

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not that long til Memorial Day. I can wait. Only if I won't find something delicious (kidding) earlier, at a spring fair we usually go to each year. This one:
    http://www.csupomona.edu/~farmstore/tractor-car-show.shtml

I've always seen big plumerias there but they are not really cheap. But they are big. Anyway, I'll wait and see.

Thanks Greg! Happy waiting to you too. :)

Mima

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Here in SoCal Lowe's usually has CStars plumies. Home Depot gets JJ plants sometimes. I got one there at the Monrovia store last year for about $25. They will have the Jungle Jack's tag on them. They usually aren't a named variety, just Premium White, Premium Yellow, and Premium Rainbow. The one I got was a 4 tip Rainbow.

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

If you don't have any luck with Lowe's, I have a bunch of JJ Divine with tips that have come out of hibernation.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see, so Home Depot is the one bringing the JJs here. I can stalk them both LOL.
    Plumygirl, thanks for the offer. I will wait for them to come here for the moment.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DelWH, last year's plumeria found at Home Depot for $25, how big was it? A little cutting in a pot? How tall, if you can remember?

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

"Stalking the plumeria" LOL I like that!

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Plumygirl: like most things in life that are funny, it's funny 'cause it's true. LOL

Mima: just to be clear, here in FL, I've only ever seen JJ plants at Lowe's, and only with the tag "Better Gro,"--never at Home Depot. God knows I can't drive by one of either without stopping in to nose about the garden area for a few .

The plumeria you'll see at Home Depot (in FL, at least--jealous of you CA peeps being able to score JJ plants at the Deep) often come from Costa Farms, sometimes from other places. I've bought a few--they have all been superior (as in, really nice flowers, nice scent) noIDs, but noIDs all the same. Usually sprawly growers, those, as well. I've kept one, but ended up giving the others away.

Just fyi...

Greg

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I got Thumbelina and Divine at Lowes. they had a little white tag that said their name on them. Both were 4 tip. It was toward summer though

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As SFLGPlume said, I will stalk Lowe's for plumies, but Home Depot too since DelWH said you can find JJs here in Socal at Home Depot. Only the waiting is too hard to bear... too long...
    SFLGPlume and Minderella, how big were your plumerias when you've bought them at Lowe's?
    Also, is it better to start off with let's say 2 or 3, maybe not all of them make it, or just stick to one at first and later see if we add to that one?

Thank you all for the input.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Mima:

My bad! Sometimes I don't read very carefully...I thought you lived in Florida. I get it now. Sorry for dragging this out LOL

G

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don't worry. I love to find out so many new things about plumerias. :)

• DelWH
    11 years ago

The one I got was a 5 tip one about 15 inches tall for the longest tip. It was on a table out front with a sign saying "Special Buy". They were in orange 2 gallon squat pots. They had maybe 25 or 30 of them at that point. I don't think it is a regular thing, it may have been a bunch that Jon wanted to unload. HD most often has just regular variety plumies from some unnamed source.
    So it never hurts to check every now and then.

• rox146
    11 years ago

I too scored a good one at Lowes back in June of '09 in Ventura, Ca. Did not notice back then if it was a JJ. But, it was a Guillot Sunset and 6 tips and only 21.99 or something like that. roxanne

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

The Home Depot stores in Riverside and Eastvale had JJ plumeria last summer. One gallon ones were around $25 and they had some nice tall 5 gallons for $50. They were only identified by color, not by variety. They weren't outside in one of the stores but inside where they keep the house plants. The well intentioned staff were doing their best to kill them off by keeping them completely saturated with water so try to get them as soon as they come in.

We went to the Cal Poly Pomona Farm Store yesterday but all the plumeria are still in the green house. Good idea because the two huge ones they left outside suffered a lot of freeze damage and are looking rather pathetic.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aha, so I should start going here and there to see if they have some specials already. And to check on the specials if I find any. I'd hate to get a damaged one (either by freezing or by over-watering) and then having no idea how to save her... A plumeria is feminine, isn't she? ;)

• DelWH
    11 years ago

That's a good question, since each flower has both male and female parts. 8*)

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha, no, I meant to ask how are you referring to it? As a she or a he? For me it sounds like a she that's why I said to save her. ;)

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha, no, I meant to ask how are you referring to it? As a she or a he? For me it sounds like a she that's why I said to save her. ;)

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I don't know how it posted twice.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mima, is there any way you could go straight to JJ's in Vista or Oceanside since you're in SoCal? They have a huge stock at the Vista location.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very tempting, Jandey! Veeery... Unfortunately we live almost 90 miles away and I don't see any time soon a possibility to travel there. Almost every weekend we already have scheduled different events/activities.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

neither Lowes or Home Depot gets plumeria on a regular basis here. Lowes had pudica last year but that was it. On the other hand there are a lot of growers in my area so lots of places to hunt them down.
    Good luck everyone on the neverending hunt.
    Tally HO!

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What area do you live in, beachplant?

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can somebody who lives in LA area write here an update if and where they've found healthy plumerias in the area, either at Lowe's or HD? I'm close to LA Co, San Bernardino Co actually, but right at the border. Even OC would work ifit's not too far and it's worth driving there for beautiful, healthy plumies.

Thank you all!

This post was edited by SagoLover on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 18:58

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hate to get off-topic for so long, so I'll write here the rest.

I would get some plumeria cuttings from Plumeria Patch, it's just for the start I'm afraid if I get cuttings I won't know what to do to them and I'd kill them. I prefer to start with 1-2 small rooted ones and then go from there.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

HI Sago,

It would be worth the trip to visit JJ's in OC. If i had a place like that locally, i would be heading there at least monthly..

Plan a trip and you will be so pleased. Then the addition will really begin. ;-)

Michelle will help you with any questions on rooting and we all are here for you if you need help.

Just let us know if you need any advise!! We all have been there.. so don't think twice about asking questions!!

Mahalo!

Laura

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

Hi Sago,

Two rooted ones are no problem. Any special colours? Tips or singles?

mea

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Mea! Thank you! How are you going to ship them? What if the trip is going to be too much of a stress for them?

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

Hi Sago,

Let me look for two rooted small plumeria w/tips somewhere in the neighborhood of $12-$14 if that works for you. Shipping would be through the USPS Priority Mail w/tracking. I pack and pad everything pretty well and will probably bag the roots so the trip should not be stressful. I would not know the shipping cost until I take the box to the P.O. all packed and ready to go, then I can give you the total cost. Just contact me through e-mail and we can go over the details.

Thanks Sago!

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your message Mea! This is so kind of you.
    I am still not decided on which plumerias to get in the beginning. I'd limit myself to only 2 for now. I'd want a Celadine and another one, but I am still doing research about their fragrance and easiness to be grown. I think I'd have to search for a few plumies to see them in person first and I have not much time on my hands to go here and there... Arghhh... I want to start with them but I don't have time to go see more plumerias. Difficult choice.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

I can give you a Celadine cutting for -0- or, start a cutting for you, say $5.00 and then pick out a small rooted one that hopefully I have a photo of and keeping the second to the same price range I quoted earlier. Just if you would, send me a reminder next week as I still have about about 4 big tubs of cuttings to start and finish work on the master list. Shipping to be determined.

Will that work for you?

• mimalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mea, you're too kind! I will email you.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz