Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

why is it called psycho

tdogdad
13 years ago

Here it is a week into March and most of the plumeria jungle is fairly leaf naked and thinking about waking up.........

{{gwi:1154470}}

Meanwhile, psych is totally unaware that it was just winter and is acting psycho......

{{gwi:1154471}}

Now this should answer those questions about the nickname. Bill

Comments (7)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

I love your Psycho Bill...it has a mind of its own..LOL

Take care....

Laura in VB

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Hi Bill! I remember reading about your psycho tree in some other threads but can't remember if you had pictures of the flowers. How you described your tree sounded just like one that grows at my son's house in Long Beach (appears to be the most common kind that grows in southern Calif. as it adapted so well). The tree was still full of blooms when I saw it at Thanksgiving! My son gave me cuttings, which have now rooted and put out leaves; I'm so excited. This is a picture of the flowers from that tree, you can also see the leaves - they are quite thick. Are they the same kind you get on your tree?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hey Bill,
    That's one amzing plumeria! Though I must say after seeing all those plumeria on that CD you sent to me it looks like most of your plumeria are amazing! How long have you had your Psycho now?

Andrew

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sunseeker- "psycho" is a somewhat common white sold under the names of "white with red stripe", "Gardena", Gardenia (which it is not) and Trumpet gardenia. It has a very spicy scent that makes it stand out from other similar whites. Your picture looks similar except the buds are light and on mine they are very red.
    {{gwi:1154475}}

Andrew- I planted that one around 2000 and it was maybe 2 at the time, so it is about 13-14 years old. Here is a picture of it in 2005.
    {{gwi:1154477}}

• labland
    13 years ago

Wow Bill! That tree has really grown well! I keep thinking about putting one of my trees in the front yard for the world to see, but my husband hates the deciduous phase of the plumerias. I had planned on putting one of my Singapores out there, but after what happens in the cold weather, I am scared!

I may check into one of this variety for the front yard.

As always, thanks for sharing, Psycho is awesome! Jennifer

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Bill, the buds on mine are definitely lighter than yours! The red buds are awesome! Thanks for posting the pictures! Mine have never been red. There must be several "variations" of this bright white flower growing in so. cal, as the shape and habit of the trees seem very similar, very dense leaves from top to bottom that stay on almost all year. But the bonus is the flowers, I once cut an inflo while in bloom and put it in a vase of water, it looked like a bouquet and it lasted a long time! Love the scent too!
    I'm so glad the cuttings have rooted and are growing! I will plant them in the ground soon, and knowing already that it will perform well in this climate, I won't have to worry about it as much as I do for my other plumies.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hey Bill,
    Thanks for the pictures! Your plumerias always make me yearn to live in a warm climate like you do. You must br so proud of your plumeria! I knew that they could grow fast depending on the variety but wow! I never knew they grew that fast! The red buds of Psycho are particularly attractive. Just another great feature of this variety. I cannot wait to go shopping for more plumeria. That is if our freakin NY winter ever ends!

Andrew