Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

kick off begins

tdogdad
14 years ago

Ready with my supplies. got my bags of Dr. Earth @8, bags of sulpo mag, bags of worm castings. barrels of rain water with superthrive and seaweed extract. tomorrow starts spoon, spoon, spoon, water- it is kick off day. Ready for a great spring and summer of 2010. Also have three trash cans of soil mix for completing potting up and potting of last years bottle starts. Busy weekend ahead.

Comments (32)

• Nikki
    14 years ago

Hi Bill, sounds busy but fun!! It's not actually work when you tend to your babies...lol..have fun and wishing you a great start to the new blooming season!!!

Tomorrow I'm going to start pulling weeds and then give those babies some much needed water with perhap some epson salt..can't wait!!

Nikki

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    14 years ago

Hey Bill,

I am soooo ready for the kick off... You know that I put my trees out early in the temp. greenhouse...they are doing great!!! They are already leafing out and showing good signs of all coming through the winter in a very healthy manner!!!

Yesterday I picked up some liquified seaweed and liquid fish. Have you ever used the liquid fish? I know that they love the seaweed. But I'm not sure about the fish (5.0 1.0 1.0) Do you think once they leaf out that I could use both at the same time?

Can't wait to see some pictures of all of your Plumie family!!!

Here's to the Kick off!!! CHEERS!!!!!

Laura in VB

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Cheers!!!

I got mine in my pop up greenhouse and they are already sending out leaves in just a week..The night temps stay in the 60's to 70's with a space heater and rise into the 90's when the sun is out...They seem very happy!!

Time for the Epsom salts too..:-)

• erika79
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone!! Im soooo ready for the season to start I have some of my supplies ready too but I need to get seaweed extract and some perlite. I'm taking mine out of the dungeon on Monday, we are still having temperatures in the high 30's low 40's. I already lost 3 because I took them out too early :-( but I can't wait to see everyones pictures of your blooms. Temperatures at night here are supposed to be on the low 50's so I think this time is safe to bring them out.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laura- You can use liquid fish in the first month or two but it has too much nitrogen to be used after the first batch of leaves grow out. The seaweed extract can be used all season. I got all my plants fed today and now its time to pot up a few and pot my bottle starts tomorrow. I went through 50 pounds of Dr. Earth, two large bags of worm castings, a large bag of sulpo-mag, and 70 gallons of rainwater mixed with superthrive and seaweed extract. Only my pots and favorites in the ground got the water as I could have used another 70 gallons. I still have many plants that did not go dormant as Calif had almost no winter this year. Hope this means early flowers.

14 years ago

Bill,

Thanks for the info about the liquid fish. I will use it for a few weeks and then stay with seaweed and dr E #8.
    I can't believe you used 50 pounds!!! Unbelievable!!
    Since you have so many...I'm curious on how you spooned the different ingredients...Did you set up some kind of assembly line for each ingredient? or did you measure from each and mixed them together then added to each pot?
    I can imagine how you mixed all of the liquids in your rain barrals...great idea!!!

Sounds like alot of "fun" work!!!

Take care Bill,

Laura in VB

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laura- I have a cart with three bags on it. I have a big spoon and a small scoop and a large scoop. Depending on the size of the pot, I spoon in the sulpo mag, then sprinkle the ground with Dr. E and then cover with a fine layer of worm castings. I always water my pots the day before (fertilizer hitting dry roots is a recipe for disaster) and then after my spooning and scooping, I dip a water can into the rain barrel (large trash can with a shot of superthrive and a glug glug of seaweed extract, maybe 6 ounces) and water three or four pots. Repeat, all afternoon. My back is killing me right now. But my plants are happy.

14 years ago

Bill,

Sounds like a well oiled machine!!! LOL I'm sure all of your plants get excited when they see the boss coming towards them with the feed cart!!! They must really have it good!!!

Sounds like you are ready for a hot tub with a special drink in hand!!!! LOL!!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Wow, im looking forward to taking my plumerias out also, but I have a little bit longer to go by me. Todays clean up day for me from the storm yesterday which pretty much knocked down or moved every single potted plant outside. I think hurricane force winds were reported. Good thing i didnt have my plumerias out yet, they are very top-heavy.
    Looking forward to seeing some blooms from your plumerias, which should not be too far off with the kind of food you are giving them. This year im giving mine lots of nutrients too. My goal it to get all my plumerias to flower this year, or at least get one of them to flower before august! They are all breaking dormancy now a little, but i think they are going to need some fertilizer to really get them started.
    The liquid fish sounds interesting. I might use some too to get mine started, but I dont think thats the kind of thing to use indoors! And the rain barrels are a great idea because it always seems to me that plants grow much faster when I give them rain water, probably because it has more nutrients in it.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Great thread!!

Well, the STUPID wind storm knock everything over in my greehouse, while the greenhouse never moved!!!!!!

Knocked the whole table over breaking two of my plumies,right in half! ARG!!!!!!!!!My best ones too!

When will this crazy weather end?

Mike

• jeff_d_grower
    14 years ago

Night time temps still in the high 40's and low 50's here in Jax Fl.(zone 8b)with tons of wind so my plumies are still in the greenhouse. Did a fish emulsion feeding yesterday as they are just now beginning to come out of dormancy.Envious of you S Fla folks and your milder temps, it was a brutal winter in N Fl. Happy Spring!!

• erika79
    14 years ago

Hey Bill! I was in Orange County picking up some cuttings and I had to stop @ Orange County Farm Supply and I got Seaweed extract and Dr. Earth # 8 I also met Chris Roy. Really nice gentleman we had a nice conversation about Plumerias, of course, and I'm thrilled he invited me to join the South Coast Plumeria Society. Yay!! I can't wait until the next meeting.... I just got done feeding and watering my plants with Superthrive and Seaweed I'm so happy spring is finally here!!

• iowajojo
    14 years ago

I'm guessing I have a way to go before I can get busy, considering there is still snow on the ground.. :(
    On the upside, I have had blooms all winter in my sunroom :)

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Erika= Chris is a great guy. Glad he helped you. I buy my soil mixes and several fertilizers at OCFS- They have everything you could need. Love the store. Bill

14 years ago

Hey Mike,

I'm sorry to hear about your Plumerias breaking apart!!!

Ouch...I know that really hurts you and the poor tree!!

Hopefully they will be OK....

Take Care,

Laura in VB

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hi Laura,

Thank you so much for your kindness.. The ones that broke are a couple that Bill sent me, some with 3 branches and very healthy..I was so upset. I have taken the top broken pieces, and planted them after rubbing root tone on them. I hope they take with all that heat and sun..

How are your's doing so far..I bet they love the heat created by the sun all day, right? Mine are growing like crazy. I am really hoping for early inflo's.

I just watered them today with fish emulsion, ES, and a cal mag fertilizer..I guess we can only do so much, and let the heat and sun do the rest right..?

Keep us updated, I love hearing about your plants..;-). post pics if you can.

Mike

14 years ago

Hey Mike,

My Plumeria are on the right track...They are all very active with the claws and some leaves already growing!!!
    They really seem happy with all of the heat in the temp. greenhouse. But I still have to watch the temps at night. I did put a heater outside and set it to 50 degrees and the daytime temps have hit as high as 90 degrees (that was today!!!)

I have given them ES already but I have not given them any seaweed ex. or fert. since they don't have leaves on most of my trees. Hopefully...they will leaf out soon and I can start with all of the treats for them!!!

Hope all is well with you and your plumerias!! I'm sure the ones that broke off will root for you. If there was any time for a break...it's now!!! Especially at the start of the growing season!!!

I will post pictures soon!!!

Take Care!!!

Laura in VB

• Nikki
    14 years ago

Hi Bill, just a quick question should I use what you use on plants with no leaves but are showing signs of waking up? I'm taking your advice on what to use to fertilize them, but since I defoliated most of my plants to put them in the green house last winter, I'm not sure which ones went dormant and which didn't, but most of them have shiny claws and tiny leaves growing. I watered them with epsom salt last week, and just watered them again today to get them ready for their feeding tomorrow...hmm should I feed them tom or should I wait till they have leaves? thanks Bill for all the great advices....

Nikki T.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Feed, Nikki, feed. The rooted plants will start processing the fuel even without leaves because this is the natural time for them to wake in this area. Water today and then fertilize and water in tomorrow is perfect. And resist buying any more. Your collection is outstanding but I see you in my shoes in 6 years. I was complaining to Bud Guillot that I was so out of room and still have 60 young plants- he joked that he thought I was overstocked 8 years ago when he brought Emerson by to visit my plants. I should have listened to him then because it is very hard to part with large, multi branched plants. I had to borrow a trailer to haul the last batch. I look forward to seeing your pictures this year. Your Thai collection is quite outstanding. Keep in touch. Bill
    2 years ago these were so small- today they are 7-8':
    {{gwi:1154612}}

• Nikki
    14 years ago

Bill, you're too kind!! And you're absolutely right and not in 6 years either, I'm seriously running out of space now, and some of my plants are in 1 gallon pots too, I have seedlings that will take up more space soon, and did I mention I live in a condo? I'll take some pictures of my yard and you'll see how crazy it is. At the moment I can't bear to part with any of my plants, so I'm constantly trying to find room to fit them, hopeless I know..

I love your plumeria trees, and your yard is gorgeous!! And look at those happy plants!! I didn't fertilize my plants much last season, so I'm hoping to feed them early and often so they bloom and look half as happy as yours do....So Bill another question, fertilize every 2 weeks with worm casting, sulpo mag and Dr.earth?

Thanks Bill again for all the tips and advices, you're our very own Dr.Plumeria... :)

Nikki

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No. That is an opening blend that gets the micronutrients replenished. I water weekly with superthrive and seaweed extract until I see several inch long leaves at which time I go to a water soluable by Grow More that is 15-5-15 plus magnesium and calcium every 10 days until totally leafed out when I switch to foliar feeding with Spray n grow, Bill's perfect fertilizer and coco wet. I flush my pots monthly to remove salts and follow up with superthrive and seaweed water. In September I go to a 0-0-30 to harden up the plants for winter. Sometimes I use Protek. sdIf you just use Dr. Earth I would fertilize every 6 weeks but read the directions on the bag as I do not use it regularly. I once made 30 gallons of the tea on the bag and it smelled soooo bad my neighbors must have thought they lived next to a dairy. My plants loved it but I couldn't stand being in my own yard. You can use another dose of worm castings and sulpo mag in about two months but I get my mag in my water soluable. Superthrive, seaweed extract and worm castings are products that you can use any time as they are not really fertilizers but nutrients. Hope this helps. Bill (my psyco flowered until march 1)

• ssteeler
    14 years ago

This is my first winter storage of a 4 foot plumeria. It lost all it's leaves and now the weather in SoCal is nice and I wanted to bring it outside. It has been in a pot all winter. Do I start watering as soon as I bring it outside even though it has no leaves, but tiny claws? Plain water or add something to it? I want everything to go right! Thanks, Joyce.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ssteeler- where in SoCal are you located? There are so many microclimates but most are now fine for bringing out your plant. I give mine some magnesium (epsom salts or sulpo mag) and water. If you read above you can get my whole routine. All the supplies are available at Orange County Farm Supply in Orange on Chapman west of Main. If you can get there ask for Chris Roy and say you talked to his friend Bill on the forum. Bill

• ssteeler
    14 years ago

I live in the San Fernando Valley. I was confused because I read no leaves no water? Thanks for the help, Joyce.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that is true during the dormant stage of winter, but when the plants begin to show signs of waking up the roots are ready to begin new growth and moist soil encourages this to get going. the Valley is a unique area. You might link up with Pharoah (Tony) who lives there. I am in Costa Mesa so my weather is quite different. Bill

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

More clearly, " no leaves no water" on cutting that have no roots yet...

I ahve killed a many plumeria holding back on water too long when there exists roots....Once a plant is established with roots, water once the soil completely dries out works for me..Dormant stage or not..

By the way, a special hello to Bill!!:-)

Mike..:-)

• Nikki
    14 years ago

Wow Bill, no wonder your plants love you!! They're getting the royal treatment..:) I'm taking notes so hopefully I can follow your regimen...Your collection is wonderful, I'm still remembering how beautiful your yard is..with the big plumeria trees out front, Im hoping to have the room to put some down in the ground soon..BTW Bill-do you like orchids?

Nikki T.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Orchids are very nice but I had to get rid of most of mine to make room for the expanding jungle. I just wacked 5 feet off of a 15 foot hibiscus because it was blocking too much sun. I'm at a no more plants stage because I am a decade ahead of you and in panic mode.

• kevphol
    14 years ago

Hi all. My kick off has yet to begin because of the long cold winter we've had here in north TX. We even had several inches of snow this past Sat! Luckily it is gone and more seasonal temps are back. I'm still hesitant to put my 35 or so plumies outside yet, but boy are THEY ready. They have been in the garage all winter and are busting out all over with new leaves. Because of the temps I've had to leave my halogen lights on a lot and they have certainly been enjoying it. Another week or two and we should be good to go outside to stay!

Best wishes to everyone for a great growing and BLOOMING season!

Kevin

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Well my plumerias are back in for this cold spell. Coldest since mid feburary comming tonight (only 25F!) only a few degrees from a record low tonight. But they will go back out next week. They are starting to wake up now after some epsom salt and next week some 80s look like a possibility and I think they are going to love that!

Good luck everyone, and tdogdad, very very nice plumerias!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Karyn, where are those pictures?:-)

Mine are still doing well..They are popping leaves every where..It was 18 degrees last night, but 70 degrees in my popup house anyways this am...Yes! It was 95 in there today with the sun out, and it is only to get warmer from here..I think I am going to get a very early start this year..

I am very excited for me and for all.!!

Mike

• purdee54
    14 years ago

Great forum. I've been visiting for the past year. Lots of great information. I just joined tonight and wanted to share my growing experiences. I live in Tampa, Florida and have been growing plumerias for several years. Just wanted to share my kick-off process: Second week in Feb. All plumerias that are to be repotted into larger pots are removed from the container, I break all of the soil from around the root and use a jet of water to gently remove all remaining soil until I have a bare root. And I mean bare. I then trim the roots into a ball, removing any excess roots.... I am fairly aggressive with the root trimming especially with the trees. I then replant in new, fresh moist soil(Miracle Gro for citrus, palms and cactus). I do not water them after planting. As soon as I see claws I water them with plain rain water I collected over the winter months. My plants react to rain water entirely different to water from the tap. When the larger leaves start forming I begin fertilizing with liquid Miracle-Gro 12-4-8. After about two months I start using liquid Miracle-Gro 12-9-6 throughout the summer and fall every two weeks. At first I tried the high middle numbered fertilizers and found it made no difference to the plant's flower production. I have not lost a single plant or tree using this technique and the blooms I have enjoyed over the years has numbered in the thousands. My prized collection consists of five Singapore trees each over 12 years in 25 gallon containers. Aztec golds(which are very aggressive growers and already with several inflos with leaves just starting to form), five species of Moragnes, Kauka Wilders, Confettis', Charlotte Ebert(my favorite), Key West Reds, Miami rose and on and on. 50 plumerias total. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will show my plumerias in their current state and another picture three months from now. Please understand I'm not saying how I grow my plants is right but the success I've had has been phenomenal. Right now I'm enjoying the smell of Florida orange blossoms. Three months from now I can't wait to pull up a chair under my Singapores.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz