Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dthrooop

Emerson vs Bill : Who Has More Plants & Winter Storage Of Plumeri

dthrooop
10 years ago

Let me start by saying there are some people who have a lot of plumeria and then there are people who have A LOT of plumeria and a lot of plumeria knowledge. From my browsing on the world wide web and our beloved GardenWeb.com, I could not help but compare what I saw on a recently discovered web site vs what I've seen on this site. Only in volume do I compare Emerson Willis and Bill (tdogdad) - for I know neither personally but respect both for what they have contributed to my personal knowledge of plumeria.

It appears Emerson's site has not been updated in some time, but for those looking for information on how to store plumeria (or just like to look at amazing pictures), check this out: http://www.emersonsplumerias.com/dyncat.cfm?catid=3171 .
You'll probably be amazed as was I.

I don't have any specific link's to Bills' photos, but if you search the GardenWeb\plumeria forum\, you will find them and see he has quite a collection going and his advice has assisted many of us on the forum.

((ok, I did found two links for starters : http://imageshack.us/a/img853/586/09cu.jpg and http://imageshack.us/a/img4/7943/erm8.jpg) and there are others if you look))

My hat is off to both of you and I look forward to passing on your contributions to future plumeria lovers!

Cheers!
Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Emerson's Garage

Comments (3)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

both have amazing collections thats for sure. Im an always in awe when I see their photos. I think my buddy Kenny is going to give them both a run for their money in a year or 2, LOL.

I went the route of Emersons storage this year and kept mine in cool part of the barn. My larger plants seem to be just fine but the ones I rooted last spring and few others got pretty wrinkly and i may lose a few tips. Im not sure yet if that method is good for people like me who need about 4-5 months of overwintering. Ill have a new 10x20 greenhouse this summer so thats where mine will go next winter.

mike

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Thanks Dan for the compliments but Emerson has the most impressive storage system. I am in California and so my plants are left outside all year with over 40 in the ground that are becoming small trees. I also am out of space so my several hundred are being cut back to find sun space. Out here there are several collections larger than mine in number and a few in size of plants. Bud Guilott has the big stuff, David K. has big and many. Dewaine C. has a mass of medium sized and some large plants, Nikki L. has an insane collection of all the new Thai varieties. James N. (Lolo4) has another massive long established collection of rare varieties, John T. has hundreds, Cheryl O has a farm of them, and that is just the tip of the iceberg Down toward Vista and San Diego there are more giant collections. If I only had an acre- after a few decades it gets overwhelming. My hat is off to those of you who winter store and especially Emerson. Bill

• Kenny
    10 years ago

I visited John T and Warren in SoCal last month. I'd say you So Cal growers are so lucky to be able to grow these trees in the ground!

I actually know someone from north Texas (about 2 hrs from me) who has over 400 plants in a 20x100 green house. It's one of those commercial green houses so his plants grow big and tall. He doesn't have to prune any of his plants (yet). I've only seen pictures of his plants but not in person. His green house is definitely bigger than any garages :)

Kenny

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz