Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
printmaster1

Crazy Winter/Spring

It was 88 degrees here in North Texas yesterday and the high today is 58. Only a few more weeks and the plumies are outside!!! Can't wait.

Lonnie

Comments (9)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I hear ya Lonnie. Here in Tulsa it was 73 yesterday and 39 this morning with a high of 45 today.

mike

• elucas101
    11 years ago

It's crazy here in Austin too - very high winds a couple of days. 86 yesterday, 68 today, low tonight 33. it's all over the place.

More than anxious to get the plants outside!!!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

85 here yesterday and I say no lower than upper 30s tonight. Its blowing pretty good. Fortunately not as bad as last week. I have two in the ground already. All the youngs and smalls are still in the greenhouse.

{{gwi:1155034}}

Celadine Roots
    {{gwi:1155035}}

AND I found this little guy behind the greenhouse. We saw his mother carrying the other kittens and jumping our fence but she never came back for him. After about an hour we went and got him. We called a local shelter and they put us in touch with a person who had a litter on the way and the momma kitty has adopted this one as her own. So good news.
    {{gwi:1155036}}

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

K

do you pull and replant some of yours directly in the ground. I have wanted to do this but a bit nervous to try.

Mike

• pcput
    11 years ago

Awhhhh! Too cute "K"! Glad it had a happy ending. Peg

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Good question Mike - so you dig up your big trees and store them bare root?

And GREAT SAVE with that little guy!!! He's precious, thanks for saving him and getting him to a kitty family!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Mike, E,
    This is the first season of in ground planting for me. I am starting with these two well established Celadines. These two are my oldest (rooted in 2001). After seeing the arbitrary storage at the Water Garden place and knowing my South/Central TX winters are quite short I am confident they will be just fine with much less care than we all seem to think. However, I will probably use George's mulch storage method or Jandy's bag method for overwinter.

I'm thinking about in ground planting a big Lei Rainbow, and a Jeannie Jr. as well.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Mike, stick them in the ground. A lot of growers here, like Emerson, dig theirs up every year. I have a friend on the north side of Houston who plants a few hundred in her yard every spring then digs them up every November 1. It's much warmer here and I just leave mine in the ground. Really mild this winter and most of them didn't even lose their leaves. I took the seedlings out a few weeks ago and am planting them all this week on my days off.

This has been a weird winter, the pecan tree started to leaf out last month and it's been in the upper 40's in MARCH! Even the few plummies that lost leaves started puttting out new leaves a few weeks later, crazy.
    KMS you are right, they are much tougher than most people give them credit for, the less you fuss over them the better they do.

Happy spring!
    Tally HO!

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

awww such a cute kitty! and so glad he got back to a mother kitty. Seems abit sad when kittens that young have to be formula fed because they have lost their mum...glad its a happy story :)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!