Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Austin Area Temps Dipping Next Week

elucas101
11 years ago

To all of my Austin peeps out there the weather is predicted to dip into the 30's Monday (37), Tuesday (34) and Wednesday (37) nights. So check your local weather to see if it affects you, don't want to be caught off guard!

This gives me the wonderful and exciting oppotunity to take ALL of plants back in the house, YAY! Pulling rebar out, YAY! Only to take them all out again 3 days later! Grumble grumble grumble...

Comments (12)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Nice.

I have already gone in ground and taken down the greenhouse. Time to break out the fitted sheets.

• jplumeria
    11 years ago

Weather so unpredictable right. I used frost blankets this winter very light weight and easy to cut to the size or sizes you need.

• powderpuff
    11 years ago

Same thing here. We put them all outside a couple of weeks ago, all 79 of them, then had to move them all back into the garage. It looks like our last cold front will be Monday, so hopefully I can get them outside after that.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

We had a tease of spring a week ago. Nice and warm 80 degrees. This weekend chance of snow flurries.

Im cursing the groundhog for predicting and early spring.

Mike

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

almost 90 today and 50 degrees cooler next week?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

That's just crazy! I am so sorry for those of you that put in all that work to get your trees out, only to have to take them back in.

We are STILL cold here which is rather unusual. And driving yesterday in the blowing snow flurries was almost a white out! I'm just very tired of the cold.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Emily, I think we'll be okay since even if we get frost it'll be for just a very short time. Mine are going to have to tough it out, and we'll probably only see high 30's anyway. I think they're all big enough now to be okay.

You may want to keep your newly-rooted ones inside but your more mature ones should be okay pulled up close to the house.

Only my tiny new seedlings under 1-yr-old, and the two that are promised to forum members are staying inside.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know I was mistaken - I guess it's Sunday, Monday and Tuesday - sorry!!!

I may be too scared to leave them out - do you think they can last in it for 3 nights?!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Yep, now the forecast is for mid-30's. I'll bring in just my two Makaha Sunns, Heirloom, and the newly-rooted ones like Waimea and Moragne 78.

There's no way I'm bringing all the others back in! I'll just cover up my new seedling patch that's in the northwest bit of my yard. Everybody else is going to have to tough it out. Darn crazy weather!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't so still and clear.
    I brought the rooting ones which were on the front walkway basking in the warm sun into the garage. They are in between the fridge and car so there should be some supplemental warmth without a mat.

The ones in the ground are just going to have to tough it out. I covered up all the smalls with a large tarp to just keep cold air from settling on them. I'll check the temp at 5am and make the call about starting a fire in the fire pit. That has been my last resort in the past and makes about a 10 degree difference within about 30 feet of the pit.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

43 wind chill this morning. The newly planted tomatoes will not be happy!

Stay warm ya`ll!
    Tally Ho!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I chickened out and brought all of mine in :) It sucked but I will sleep better at night. Nice setup you have there K! Your and Jen's tough love will probably pay off, I just couldn't do it - my plants aren't very old though either so I don't think they would have liked this one bit.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington