Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyver

Favorite Jim Little Varieties? Pics?

ladyver
9 years ago

Sorry guys, after so many years of lurking I seem to be posting too much! I was hoping for one more favor....I'm placing an order with Jim Little this week and he doesn't really have a comprehensive list of his inventory. If you have a non-finicky JL variety that you love, can you post a pic? Metallica is already on my list. :-) I love seeing a thread full of pics, anyway...especially at this time of year! Mahalo nui loa! Sonja

Comments (10)

• No-Clue
    9 years ago

Hi Sonja,

I have Metallica but she's very young so I don't expect to see flowers any time soon.

I also have JL Red/Orange but she's not blooming either.

But my favorite though, based on photos I have seen is the Hawaiian Fire. But at the time he was asking for an astronomical price for a cutting and since I killed cuttings I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money.

If I find one rooted I would love to get one someday. :)

BTW his website is down... how are you planning to order? I am curious to see if he is still offering Hawaiian Fire.

Have fun shopping!
    Lynn

• ladyver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hawaiian Fire is $300 rooted direct from Jim right now...in 2012 he was asking $360. Kara is no longer handling the online orders so there's a new girl I'm working with, I just got a list of what they have available that's rooted, but they will take a cutting and root it for me (which looks like that's the route I'll have to go with Metallica). I'm also eyeing Haleakala. You're right, their website is down so I'll be doing a lot of back and forth with them, and since I can't find pictures of the plants he's offering I'm trying to get info from people on the forum who probably know best which varieties he has. I was basically asked if there was anything I was particularly interest in, to let them know.

• No-Clue
    9 years ago

Haleakala is divine! Wow I don't remember seeing that one!! Adding that to my list. Do you have the price of that one?

Wow Hawaiian Fire is still $300? Yikes! I would have to sell all my extras just to fund her. I don't remember who has her last year but I remember loving it! So many beautiful flowers so little money and space. Sigh...

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Somewhere within this forum, someone had posted a pic of their Haleakala. It was either Greg or Stuart. I do remember that it was a beauty!

• jandey1
    9 years ago

It was Greg who had Haleakala and loves it.

I have a lot of JL's plumies, but few have bloomed yet. My favorite so far is Edi. She's very hardy, with big wonderful-smelling blooms and huge perfect leaves. Not to mention the most beautiful of all the whites/creams:

• surfviking
    9 years ago

I have a JL Big Red. It is a very dark red, almost black with an unusual and incredible scent

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Waimea is nice.

• ermise2
    9 years ago

Hello! I was trying to find Jim Little's store. I lived on Oahu and when I left many years ago I was on his mailing list that had his varieties and the price for each. Please tell me where you are buying his cuttings from. I see he has so many new varieties now. I can't believe some of the gorgeous photos that were posted to this website and I really miss Hawaii!

• Kimo
    9 years ago

U can buy some of his cuttings from 1stopaloha, but a lot of them are rooted. JL also sells via another Ebayer called Pacific creations I believe. If your in So Cal there are many sellers who sell JL plants rooted like Irene Jones, Island Plumeria aka Matt, and a few others like Danny Kashou. If you want JL cuttings you can also wait for your local Plumeria Society, if you have one, to have their annual cutting sale (usually u can find JL cuttings there.). Good Luck

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County