Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria

Posted by sondra2010 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 10:47

I just bought my first Plumeria tree from a nursery here in south florida. It is bare because of being deciduous but I bought it and planted it anyway as I've used this nursery before and their stuff is always good.

I did start watering it and am afraid that was the wrong thing to do since we are still having "winter" in West Palm Beach.

Should I water? and when will I start to see leaves?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria

look at the tips of the branches. when they show little claws forming the leaves are coming. Keep the watering down until then but since it is rooted, your watering should not be a big problem as long as the plant does not sit in wet soil for a long time.

o

Thank you. There are little claws on the tips and it has been very dry here for a long time: only 1 or 2 light rains since it has been planted. I have watered it a little and had the drip line going a few times.

I'll move the drip line away if you think that would be good.

o

rooted plants should be lightly moist until they grow leaves which is when they will begin drawing water so more leaves plus more heat means more water. by the hot spring or summer they can handle quite a regular watering although remember the larger pots hold more moisture and dry out much slower so do not overwater these so the plant sits in wet soil for too long.

o

My Plumeria is in tge ground, not in a pot.

o

If your soil is sandy, you are fine. If clay, keep the water light. Water every few days if warm and less if cool..

o

Thank you - it's West Palm Beach and sandy; I did add compost and rich soil when I planted it. I'll go easy on the watering.

Maybe it is still in a little shock from coming out of the nursery and into my environment. It is a fairly mature tree and over 5 ft. tall but as I said the nursery is local so the conditions are pretty similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here