Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Think I need to work out just to lift pots!

Posted by robert1971 7a OK (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 12:58

So I've been feeling antsy in preparation of spring and figured I should just make tons of my modified gritty mix (couldn't find chicken grit so I went for perlite and after lifting these suckers I'm glad I did) and repot some plumies. Of course I couldn't pass up some awesome deals like 5 bucks for a huge black pot that I neglected to line the bottom with styrofoam peanuts before I added my mix (live and learn).
So now I've got these super heavy pots and really think I should start lifting weights just to keep up with my sick addiction. Laugh.

-Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Think I need to work out just to lift pots!

great idea for the styrofoam..have a huge amount from my JJ order. How much in the bottom...2 inches? helps with drainage, right? roxanne

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 14:01

Hey Robert. Nice pots you got there. I have a banana in a 40 or 50 gallon that it a real pain in the butt to move.

Rox
Styrofoam won't aid in drainage because eventually the mix will filter through. However it will take up volume in the pot that would otherwise be heavy soil. Another trick you can do is put a smaller pot upside down inside the larger pot.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 22:11

o

Robert, I do lift weights and I can tell you that it doesn't help as much as you would think with moving pots. You have to grab the in such awkward ways. A lot of my stuff is still small, but when I go to buy new pots, my thought isn't "That's a nice looking pot". Instead, it's "How much is that going to weigh with dirt in it?"

Thanks for the packing peanut idea. How it never occurred to me to make use of those, I do not know.

o

Looking good, Robert! Is 5 all you have? Could've sworn you had more.

Yes, I'm feeling pretty dumb now for giving in on my love of glazed clay pots. They were great for sitting permanently in the garden, not so good for moving around. I had to go buy more plant coasters.

There are some great high-density resin pots coming out now, but I've opted for smaller plastic ones, too. The weight of my mix with granite, Turface and/or expanded shale is quite heavy, and my back ain't what it used to be! Every ounce counts now when I have, ahem, several dozen to re-pot. :)

o

Roxanne,

As Mike pointed out it's just to fill up volume and help make the pot lighter. I suppose the amount depends on the pot. I've got a tall metal pot that I plan on potting a Mandevilla laxa in and plan on using peanuts at the bottom since I know the roots won't grow that deep anyway. :)

Mike,

Thanks for pointing out that the mix would filter down into the peanuts. I've been using nylon window screen to line my pots with to keep the mix from going through the drainage holes so I'll cut a circle to cover the peanuts as well.

Allan,

You're supposed to be encouraging me to exercise!
I figured if it would help with my gardening obsession that might actually get me to work out. ;)

Jen,

Ha! I just decided to bring the ones I repotted out from the basement to get some sun and warmth. Bringing them back down tonight was not so much fun. :)
I think I ONLY have 12...that is until Southwood gets in their JJ's next month. Laugh.
The new resin pots are cool I just wish they weren't so expensive!

-Robert

o

Mahalo Robert for the explanation. I was ready to do it all over again and put in what we out here call ghost #!&%... :-)) I unfortunately decided years ago that I would have our pots all be cobalt ceramic...some are huge. Now after reading all this I wonder what I have gotten myself into. Lucky my husband is in great shape....so far... :-)

Sure wish I had more land...Aloha and mahalo nui loa, roxanne

o

Robert,

I didn't know it was encouragement you needed. I'm sure there are exercises that would help. Haven't you ever seen those strongmen do the atlas stone event. I've got a feeling, If you were to master that, you would just be a pot lifting machine.

Roxanne,

I have seen where they have dollys made especially to hold the curve of a pot. I'm not talking about those wooden planks on rollers that they call a plant dolly. I have a large braided hibiscus in a stone pot on one of those and I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be easier to try a lift the pot. It's frustrating me just thinking about moving it...

o

When my plumies get a good rootball, (and I know several people will be tsking at me for this) I just pick up the plumies by their trunks. The pots just come along for the ride because the roots are so strong. This is MUCH easier on my back!

Robert, I'm with you on the nylon window screen to line the bottom of the pots! Keeps out the pill bugs, earthworms, and most ants, and covers the big holes in the plastic pots very well. I went through an entire roll of that screen last year, and the pieces that have come out with the repotted rootballs are still in great shape. That was $8 well spent!

I went ahead and planted several yesterday directly into glazed clay pots--normally I plunk the plastic pot into the clay pot to hide the ugly black plastic--for the season so they'll get a bit more insulation from the heat. Maybe retain a bit more moisture through our brutal summers, too.

Then in the late fall these will have to be cut out of those clay pots so they can be gang-stored in a mulch-filled trash bin in the garage. I'm just not going to haul the 60+ plants around in individual pots anymore!

o

Jen,

Ha! It sucks we don't live in the same city. We have so much in common! :)
I too grab the trunk when I think it's got a good root ball. I normally whack the sides of the pot first to help losen everything first. Guess we get some root pruning in as well when we do this method. ;)

Yea, the nylon window screen is a godsend. Why I haven't been doing this all along is quite the mystery. It works perfectly and as you said can be reused as well!

I'm also considering storing my trees in mulch over the winter instead of in their pots. I suppose it depends on how many I end up with and how huge my pots get!
60+, eh? Thanks for sharing your secret shame with us. Laugh.

-Robert

o

That's why I go to the gym...well one of the better reasons :)

Two things really help out a lot when lifting containers. 1st a Back belt or brace and 2nd a pair of "grippy" gloves (they have a rubberized coating on the palm and fingers) which helps to distribute the weight across your entire hand and not just the fingers. My limit to carry seems to be around 25 gallons. Anything larger I use a dolly.

o

Thanks for the awesome tips! I might just have to look into a back belt. I always forget to wear gloves. Another great tip.
I love this forum. You can get so many great ideas! :)

-Robert

o

Target now has a nice looking "wheely thing" made out of recycled plastic that is guaranteed to 200lbs. I have 3 so far...they are $12.99 and I get my others for smaller pots at ROSS for $5.99 and $6.99...they are metal. I started with the wood slat ones and they don't seem to wear as well.

Wished I would have heard about they nylon screen thing years ago...ah well....roxanne

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 20:32

Weed barrier works good too. Started using it a few
years ago when I had some extra left over from another
project.

o

Robert, you need something along these lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drum dolly

o

Roxanne,

I was just telling Jen that I recently saw some metal plant coasters at Ross for super cheap!

qaguy,

Weed barrier does indeed sounds handy!

DelWH,

That would be helpful once the pots are in the backyard. The tough part would be the basement stairs and navigating the cramped basement quarters. :)

-Robert

o

Ok Robert, You asked for it. Look at this one. Peg

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/NEW-AGE-StairClimber-Hand-Truck-6LGE2?Pid=search

o

So maybe you don't need one to lift 800 lbs. Here's one that only does 600 lbs and is a little easier on the budget and back.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381541_200381541

o

Peg,

Interesting. I like the price of the second one! :)

-Robert

o

I curse those glazed ceramic pots everytime I have to move one, then I find a great one, or on sale and buy yet another one. But they are so pretty and I really hate plastic pots, they just don`t last as long or look as good.

I like those plant rope carrying things but you need two people for them. They work great though.

The plants in the big mexican pots on the back deck are all on rolling bases so fairly easy to move inside. I move them more for hurricanes than anything. There are 3 plants on the front porch roof that are too big to get in the window now so they stay there, move them close to the house and wrap the plants up if needed. I wonder what I will do if a hurricane threatens this year? Heck, fire.

Gardening is great exercise, I love 5-10 pounds every spring/summer digging, hauling mulch, potting soil, pots, planting. Then gain 10-15 over winter.

who needs a self-driving car? We need self-moving planters!!!
Good luck everyone getting it all hauled out for the summer.
Tally HO!

o

A hand truck is the best tool I ever bought dh -for me to use in the garden lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here