Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

My plants are now in God's hands

honeybunny2 Fox
10 years ago

I spend the weekend re-planting my plumeria in the yard. It has never froze in March before in Rockport. I just knew it would be ok. It was in the 70's all week. This morning it was 31 degrees there. I just cannot believe this happened. We are going down again later this week, I am almost scared to go. Thank goodness I left the desert roses in the carport, I ran out of time. I did plant all the tomotoes, peppers, and herbs. Barbra

Comments (20)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness Barbra. I really hope they are OK. this is been just a ridiculous winter. Saturday it was mid 50's. Today is it barely 20 with snow yesterday, tonights low of 6 and by this friday we will be back into the 60's. I may have lost all my onions but fortunately around here we dont plant Tomatoes until mid to late april.

Sorry if you end up with some damages. Hopefully it would only be a few tips.

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

If you guys and gals get the storm that we just had....WOW! Get ready for a bad one in your area. Last Thursday thru Saturday....over 5 inches of rain (a lot for us) and tons of wind. On Saturday afternoon, I witnessed from the top floor about 15 pieces of metal awning from a mobile home park go up in a full blown twister and was 3 times the size of our super tall palm trees. So 600-700 feet I am guessing. Then they came down landing in the water, homes, boats...you get the picture. They were roughly 8x2 feet in size....very scary. The 3 we saw that were located were all bent up from the crash. We are going to be in the high 70s now by the weekend....BIZARRO weather!....roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Good luck, Barbra!

It been an awful winter here...

I have lost a few palms, and others....

Snowing along with ice pellets right now....I'm so over it!

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

Laura, I sooooo hope it will be nice when you are here to visit. roxanne

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Barbra, I bet most of them are just fine, with maybe a few tips damaged. I think it's more a matter of hours long exposure to 30 or below that gets them, and the ones in the ground will probably be okay root-wise.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Barbra,
    plumerias can take 28F for a short period of time. At 31 F it should not even bother them. At most may be a few frozen tips but it will not kill the plants. Do not worry.

Your can kiss your tomatoes and peppers goodbye though. Those are very sensitive but easily replaceable. Good luck.

George

• elucas101
    10 years ago

That's great news from George! - sending positive thoughts your way Barbara, I know it must be nerve wracking. Thank goodness we're almost thought this weather.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Oh dear. I hope they will all be ok. What a crazy winter. Let us know how once you get back.

Lynn

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you George, I really do feel better. I just figured that I will be happy if any of them survive. The wind chill was 17 to 25 degrees, 35mph. I am hoping that we get to go down this week, one of our wells broke they are coming to repair it. sometimes this week, and we need to be there.
    Jen, I planted all in the ground, except Wildfire, and Broomstick., I needed to remove the dollar weed, so I just left them outside in their pots. Barbra .

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Barbra. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope everything survives with as little damage as possible. We have had a terrible winter in western NY. It just feels like it will never end. My back pain has been through the roof and this has also been the worst winter for spider mites!

Please keep us posted! I also wanted to share with you that my Bill
    Moragne is really taking off and the season hasn't even started! I bet it has put on over 6-8 inches of growth since last spring. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will bloom for me this year. I cannot wait to see the huge inflos!

Take care,
    Andrew

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I think they will be fine. A few might be unhappy but worst case is some dead "claws." As long as the tips don't fully seal over then there is very little risk of loosing any future blooms.

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Barbra, I sure hope that all will of them will be fine. It is very sad to lose any of them. Will keep my fingers cross.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

HI Barbra. You've put in a lot of work to even lose one teensy tip. I hope they all pulled through with no problem.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We went down this weekend, I think it was the longest trip of my life. Seemed like we would never get there. I just kept praying that I did not loose them all. I think Albert must have been looking over them, nothing was affected by the cold, not even the tomotoes and peppers. I just lost a lot of sleep, worrying. Barb

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Good new, Barb!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Great news, Barbra! I'm so glad they're okay!!

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

So glad to hear all your plants did fine! Hope it's the last if the cold!!

Mark

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Great News!!!

I know you are relieved...

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura, I cannot describe how horrible I felt. I kept thinking the worse.. I know one thing I am only going to keep only 30 plumeria. I already have 25 planted, so I just need to choose 5 more. Barbra

• pcput
    10 years ago

So glad they are ok Barbra! Great news! It's hard not to worry about our babies :) Peg