Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyver

Need to thin out my collection!

ladyver
10 years ago

Hi all! I used to be a regular here until I realized that it just feeds my addiction! ;-) I need to thin out my collection but wasn't sure if this would be an appropriate place to post? I have all sorts of stuff that needs to go, and the trees I'm selling are moveable by a pickup truck this year, but one more year of growth and that will be iffy. I have quite a few trees, stock is mainly from Jack Morgan and Maui Plumeria Gardens. I'm in So Cal, North Orange County, and I won't ship. Craigslist just brings in the weirdos. Let me know if I can post more details here, and if not, where I should post. Thank you!!!

Sonja

Comments (24)

• rox146
    10 years ago

I would love to see a list of the names of the plumerias you are "thinning" ... roxanne

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Like Rox- me too! How big are the trees? Any small ones that doesn't need a truck?

Chuy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I am sure Sonja has beautiful trees... Whoever acquires these will be very happy!!! ;-)

I was thinking this was the other Sonia". Sorry..

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 23:41

• ladyver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few of them could be creatively squished into an SUV and I've surprised myself with what I can cram into a VW Jetta Sportwagen.

This post was edited by ladyver on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 18:41

• ladyver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I posted something with the list of trees I had available and it was removed....looks like they think I'm a business. No, I'm just desperate to make room. :-)

I'll try again without the link to the pictures on the FB page I set up. :-/

Aztec Gold
    Blush Pink
    Brea (Upland Nursery sells it as Anaheim Hills Sunset. There's little to no info on it but it's a gorgeous rainbow that is super-easy to root, just as easy as a white!)
    Cancun Pink
    Celadine
    EWC #3
    Grove Farm
    Gulfstream
    Just Peachy
    Kaneohe Sunset
    Kona Hybrid #26
    Lurline (to experienced growers only)
    Paul Weissich (to experienced growers only)
    Puu Kahea
    Royal Hawaiian
    Samoan Fluff
    Vera Cruz Rose
    And I have a red, white, rainbow, a few pinks and white/yellow that are unnamed varieties (ie I'm not guessing what they are).

Sorry, my previous post had more detail.

This post was edited by ladyver on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 19:11

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow you have some awesome stuff! Too bad I'm in the process of "thinning" out my collection as well. I recently donated/gave away a bunch but I still need to get rid of another 40 or so.

So as tempting as this may be... I just don't have the energy to care for 80 plants anymore. It's a sad day for me indeed. But I need to find that balance, just can't spend all my time in my garden and plan my vacations around my plants. :(

Good luck selling yours!

• ladyver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No-Clue, would you mind sending me your email address and the list of plants you're thinning? If someone is looking for something that I don't have, I'd be more than happy to send them your way. We're in the same boat, I have a bunch slated for donation! I can't stand another season of Santa Ana winds with these big trees....there are only so many things in the back yard to tie them to!

Shannon, I got your PM but you didn't give your email address.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Ladyver...thank heavens...I have the ones you listed, or I would be there....mahalos, roxanne

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Lynn- I will be more than happy to help you thin out your collection if at all possible. ;-). Send me an email if you'd like.
    Also..... Congrats on your "rooting" success. Yay!

Chuy

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Thanks Chuy! I'm one proud mama! LOL

Ok I will they are going fast! As you know already I have some very specials plants. But health wise I just can't do it anymore so I have to give them up. :(

I will send you a list later this evening.

Thanks!
    Lynn

• ladyver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow...congrats. I've had zero interest in mine. Just one person who backed out and another wanting them for free. :-(

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear that! Have you tried selling them on Ebay, Craigslist and maybe FB??

Maybe we can do a local sale thing where all the local people get together to sell/trade what they have? I think George was talking about that last year. What do you think?

• ladyver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn, that sounds like a great idea, I'd be up for it! I even tried doing the Farmer's Market in our city, but was turned down because they had another vendor (from WAY out of town!) that sold plumerias!

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I sold some of my extra ones on Craigs list a couple of times a year. Barb

This post was edited by barb13 on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 15:59

• Jesse Ortiz
    10 years ago

Ladyver,

I am interested in some plumerias. I'm located in riverside CA now but was born and raised in the OC. So I can easily drive to OC. Please contact me so we get into details about price and what you have. Thanks *********Also if anyone is selling some plumerias not far from Orange County or the inland empire contact me I might be interested.*******

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Lynn, I'm in the same boat, I am getting too old to care for so many plumeria, I am getting rid of half of them, only keeping the frageant ones with large blooms, I am keeping the hot colors. I have already gotten rid of white, except for Magnum Opus, yellow except I kept Thorntons' Lemon Drops. Light pink is next to go. I like red, dark pink,and bright orange.. Something that stands out. I think I lost my Siam Ruby, I took a cutting , the next time I went down the hugh entire stem I took the cutting from was soft. I had to cut it way back to the main stem. I have not been back since, so it may have taken the entire plant, maybe took it too early. The cutting also died. Barbra

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Barbra,

I did exactly the same thing. Whites were the first to go. Then yellow and now light pink. I'm keeping mostly the "Rarer" ones like JL Metallica, Viola G, Fantasia, Musk Rainbow, Samirie and the rest are red and/or oranges.

I'm still looking for a TRUE Kapalua but I can't afford Exotic Plumeria's price especially for cuttings! I'm also looking for Aurora Borealis but unfortunately James is the only source I found and he's not cutting. :(

Sonja,

Are you still up for putting a sale together? I really need to get rid of these final 20 or so... maybe by then I can buy that Kapulua cutting from Exotic Plumeria! LOL

• ladyver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn, I just noticed that Gardenweb doesn't have an email option for you. Since there are rules about discussing selling things, we'll probably have to talk privately. Can you email me when you look up my profile?

This post was edited by ladyver on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 20:13

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

That's weird b/c my settings allow emails to be sent and I do get them from folks. Ok no problems I will email you directly. Thanks!

10 years ago

Sonja,

You all are not helping my problems... I have been so good this year!!!
    Lmao....
    To read your list, knowing that I would love some... Makes me want to bring a truck to Cali !! ;-). But I will be good and hope you all have a great sale when you team up together!!!

Good luck !

Lynn... I know the tree from Alan is called Kapalua and the cutting that I received In Tree form Was from Exotic. Those other cuttings ffrom Hawaii called Royal Orange were mentioned by others that they might be the same... The cuttings that I received the first time were all past 200 degrees . They were fried.. The second shipment wasn't much better and the cuttings were to soft and not healthy. I have Aurora Borealis, but it is is short stem from when i rooted this cutting.and it will be a long time before that will be time to cut.

Good luck with the search...

You all have me pumped for spring and the news blooms.. ;-)

This is the first time I have been excited about the new season, so that you all for this!!

Have a wonderful night!!!

Laura

• plumie_girl
    10 years ago

I would be interested if you put together a sale. There are several on your list that I would like.

• ladyver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're working on it via email, hang tight and we'll give you details if it looks like we can get something together!

10 years ago

Let the fun begin... Lol

• ladyver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Save the date.....April 27th in Yorba Linda!

Lynn and I are putting our heads together on this one and she has some great varieties! I have multiple mature trees, two of which will be interesting to transport!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH